Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is great! I finally got a copy of the Wetaskiwin times and our sale made not only the front page, with two photo, but also another one in full colour inside!

Also, Liz had press coverage even before the sale!!
This is in the PONOKA TIMES [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here are the pics they took at the sale!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Re: Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for sharing Arctic, love the pictures!

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Re: Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

those coloured silkies were a big hit i think! <3 love em, i am sure the kids were just as thrilled! the sale was allot of fun, hope i can have a booth next year with some birds to sell! Very Happy Hatching

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

4Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Re: Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:49 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are always a huge hit with the public.
I had a couple of my students drag convince thier parents to come to our sale, all the way from Edmnoton, just because they had seen my pics of our last bedazzled class.

5Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Re: Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

MORE!

More! Here is another great article about the sale. Liz did an interview before the show telling what it was all about and what to see. Great article.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Liz said there were photos but I dont see them here, maybe Liz has a copy.

Urban farm sale brings heritage breeds to city

By Nicole Goetz/Staff writer

Posted 17 days ago

You don’t have to be a fourth generation farmer to appreciate livestock, especially the rare breeds that have been around for generations.

Canadian Heritage breeders and urban farm enthusiasts alike will take part in this year’s Urban Farm Sale, June 16 at the Drill Hall.

The Urban Farm Sale will run from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This will be the first time that the show and sale is held in Wetaskiwin.

Some of the livestock up for sale will include: goats, sheep, cattle, turkeys, chickens, rabbits, ducks, and geese.

There will also be antiques, arts, crafts, bedding plants, perennials and vegetables on display and for sale.

“It’s a homesteading kind of show,” explained Liz Monroe, organizer and director of the Canadian Heritage Breeds.

According to its website, Canadian Heritage Breeds is an enthusiastic group of livestock breeders with a focus on preserving heritage breeds.

One of the heritage breeds that will be on display at the show, include the chantecler chicken.

“It’s the only Canadian breed of chicken. It was bred to handle Canadian winters … it lays well in winter when most stop,” explained Monroe in an interview with the Times.

She said there are less than 100 chantecler chickens left in Canada.

Monroe said a lot of the people who attend the Urban Farm Sale are not necessarily long-time farmers, but urban farmers and acreage owners who are interested in getting their families involved in farming and raising the rarer breeds of animals.

“The acreage owners are looking for birds for their kids and having their own eggs, while the long-time farmers are looking at the more heritage breeds instead of the commercial (ones).”

Even if someone isn’t interested in having their own livestock, Monroe said everyone could benefit from attending the show and sale.

“Even if you don’t own your own birds, its great for kids to be educated on agriculture, and how things used to be done, and how they are coming back around,” she explained.

“The Drill Hall is nice and central, it’s local and the square footage is enough …it’s quite a large event.”

In the past, the Urban Farm Sale was held at the Westerner Park in Red Deer, but Monroe, said the group plans on returning to Wetaskiwin for future sales.

“We want to keep it here in Wetaskiwin. We really like the community.”

For more information about the Urban Farm Sale and Canadian Heritage Breeds, you can check out their website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Re: Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:08 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

100 Chantecler chickens in Canada? That must be a typo there I am guessing!!
Liz does know how to get the word out though...she is one heck of a poster girl for the hobby, thanks Liz Smile

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Empty Re: Wetaskiwin Sale in the News Paper!!! Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Liz is amazing at the media work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum