Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How are guineas at raising their young?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How are guineas at raising their young? Empty How are guineas at raising their young? Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a guinea that just hatched out a chick, will she look after the keet or should I take it away?

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My Guinea hatched out some keets and made an awesome Mom. The only thing I would suggest is if you could separate her and her keet in an area where the keet will keep dry until it's feathered out.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find they usually have big batches because only 1/2 survive.
Once they make it past the 1 week stage they become quite hardy, but the first week is very hard especially if it is cool or damp.
I have had some moms hatch 20+ keets, and finish out with anywhere from 1 to 10. The dad usually helps out as well, mom attacks and dad stays with the babies.
With only hatching one she should be able to take care of it I would think, but your choice depends on how badly you want it to live I guess. Doesnt sound good but hope you know what I mean.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

She was sitting on about 20 eggs but she moved and half the eggs weren't under her, so i grabbed them and put them in the bator. When i candled them one was pipping, the rest look like they were all different stages of development. So I think it is a community laying spot Shocked . The one that was pipping hatched, I think I will put it under her tomorrow.

I am thinking I will try to candle the rest of the eggs under her to see what is going on.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting question. I was wondering myself. We have 2 pairs at the ranch that came from the neighbours. He said there was a big family bust up and these 2 pairs moved out. Over they came to our place. They are funny things, I hope one of the hens sits, it would be cute to have little ones running around.

6How are guineas at raising their young? Empty How are guineas at raising their young? Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 am

Critter Haven Farm

Critter Haven Farm

I have never been successful letting the guineas hatch their own... mine are terrible mothers and all I find are little bodies in the field. I try to let a broody chicken hatch and raise them ... problem is to have one handy when the guineas are laying and not hiding their eggs! (or an incubator)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum