Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

help needed leg mites

+5
rowdyrooster
lanaire-ranching
uno
Schipperkesue
funnyfarm
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1help needed leg mites Empty help needed leg mites Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:13 pm

funnyfarm

New Here

I have bought a few chickens and have been told by a chicken person that came over that they have scaly leg mites.  They said they have never had leg mites but were once told to use WD40 just spray on the legs.  I personaly would like to know if there are any naural remedies as i dont like to use chemicals.

2help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dip the legs in oil.  The oil will smother the mites.  Any oil will do, from olive oil to motor oil.  Apply daily.  If the case is bad and the scales are lifting they will still be lifted even after the mites are gone.

My personal favorite...neem oil...for its natural insecticidal properties.

3help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:30 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had scaly leg mite problems in the past. I used different remedies. Some natural, some not. And while I fiddled and faddled with natural remedies, my birds lived in misery, but since they cannot speak, I was never bothered by it.

I've dipped their legs in motor oil only to have them slide off the roost and lay eggs that smell like the Indy 500 pit stop. I used Vaseline. I used a custom made concoction that the pharmacist whipped up for me. None of it worked.

Finally I quit fooling around and pulled out the big guns. I Eprinexed the flock (was also treating for lice and fowl mites at the same time). Eprinex is not a one time cure. Eprinex is a commitment to re-apply at timed intervals. But it was the only thing that worked. Once I got the crawlers and their descendants of laid eggs under control, I hung a no pest strip in the hen house.

I used the big guns to beat back the enemy, then  hung a No PEst barrier that keeps them away. This takes time and effort. But it worked. My bird's legs are clean as a whistle.

If you want to go the natural route, there are many on here who have and they will share their methods with you. But for me, at some point, I realized the bugs were winning and I'd better up my hand, or give up. And I don't give up without a fight. HOpe you find something that helps. If not, buy a bottle of Eprinex (now brace for Sue who will say it doesn't work. I don't think she was doing it right) Razz

SUE, I see we were posting at the same time! Oil. Ha ha, you kill me!

4help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno. Well, Uno, don't know where to put my post when I quote so let's see what happens here.  Eprinex works well for leg mites.  And lice.  You must have me mistaken for someone who cares about the environment!  I am all about the chemicals when dealing with parasites.  Hit them and hit them hard I say.  Nothing like a good dose of chemical to kill the critters. wrote: If not, buy a bottle of Eprinex (now brace for Sue who will say it doesn't work. I don't think she was doing it right) Razz

SUE, I see we were posting at the same time! Oil. Ha ha, you kill me!

5help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:50 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

like Uno, I had to break out my big guns as well--- as when I first was getting chickens made a huge mistake of buying chickens with scaley leg mites so bad that I am still embarassed to say that I didnt know what it was or know better than to agree to the birds!  they infected my whole coop by the time I knew what was going on.

instead of Eprinex, I had some slightly expired pour-on Ivemec (sp?  damn I cant spell anything right today!) .  because it was expired, it was a good use for it.  poured it into a coffee can.    One by one, at the evening roost, I and Mister took a chicken off the roost and dipped each leg right up to the feathers and a bit beyond in the ivemec.    a nice good solid dunking in it.  honest to goodness, for ME that is what finally worked (tried the vaseline trick.  it just made a mess and me slimey AND grumpy.)

this really helped nip the problem right in the bud.  and I also second the no pest strip--- which reminds me its time to pick up a few more and refresh the ones I have

6help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

uno wrote:Finally I quit fooling around and pulled out the big guns. I Eprinexed the flock (was also treating for lice and fowl mites at the same time). Eprinex is not a one time cure. Eprinex is a commitment to re-apply at timed intervals. But it was the only thing that worked. Once I got the crawlers and their descendants of laid eggs under control, I hung a no pest strip in the hen house.

I used the big guns to beat back the enemy, then  hung a No PEst barrier that keeps them away. This takes time and effort. But it worked. My bird's legs are clean as a whistle.

OK, how, how much and how often did you treat them, mine need this bad, I want to get it under control before I move the new birds in with them this fall.

7help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, wow , that is some powerful big, black letter quoting you got going on there. I am impressed. Mainly because I have NEVER figured out the quote function. Never. Had it explained, don't get it. I have internet dyslexia.

Rowdy, I would dose the flock every 2 weeks, 3 times, so 3 doses over 6 weeks. I don't know why I would do this, I just would.

Since there is no dose size on the bottle, people have calculated the best guess, which I about 5 mm. A tiny squirt from a tiny syringe WITHOUT THE NEEDLE! But I found fiddling with the syringe a pain in the butt. I got an eye dropper instead. Squeezed the dropper bulb flat, sucked up some Eprinex, and squirted that on the back of the chicken's neck, on the skin, part the feathers. This is not an exact measurement. This is a 'close enough' measurement. No one died. I think under dosing may be ineffective and  might help build resistant bugs.

As someone else already said, it can take a long time for the legs to look better, even after the leg mites are gone. If the legs and toes are really gross and lumpy, you can soak the bird in warm, mildly soapy water and then try and work off some of those gnarly crusts by rubbing with a wet cloth. That would be good to do now in warmer weather. Might help the legs look better, faster.

Once you have the mites and lice and other cooties under control, back up your good work with a NoPest strip.

8help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I shall remember how to get those black letters so I can make people sit up and take notice whenever I want.  Sorry if they alarmed you, Uno.  

Now I need to do a little practicing to get used to this new format.

9help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 am

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

uno wrote:Rowdy, I would dose the flock every 2 weeks, 3 times, so 3 doses over 6 weeks. I don't know why I would do this, I just would.

Since there is no dose size on the bottle, people have calculated the best guess, which I about 5 mm. A tiny squirt from a tiny syringe WITHOUT THE NEEDLE! But I found fiddling with the syringe a pain in the butt. I got an eye dropper instead. Squeezed the dropper bulb flat, sucked up some Eprinex, and squirted that on the back of the chicken's neck, on the skin, part the feathers. This is not an exact measurement. This is a 'close enough' measurement. No one died. I think under dosing may be ineffective and  might help build resistant bugs.

As someone else already said, it can take a long time for the legs to look better, even after the leg mites are gone. If the legs and toes are really gross and lumpy, you can soak the bird in warm, mildly soapy water and then try and work off some of those gnarly crusts by rubbing with a wet cloth. That would be good to do now in warmer weather. Might help the legs look better, faster.

Once you have the mites and lice and other cooties under control, back up your good work with a NoPest strip.

Thank you, Uno

Reg.

I will see if I can get some of this stuff today and start treatment.  help needed leg mites Fingers-crossed-emoticon

10help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:04 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good posts but rowdyrooster you need to tell us how you use the new quote function and put your words in the right place (underneath)
Please!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

11help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by Schipperkesue on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

12help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

pale

Last edited by rowdyrooster on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : off topic)

13help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by Schipperkesue on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

14help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 am

I do the oil method but once a week for 3 weeks.  Someone here suggested that instead of every day, and I found it worked better than the every day method.

I use the cheapest oil I can get my hands on, so usually veg or canola, and add one dropper full of oregano oil to it to help the inflamation.

15help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ivomec injectable in the only source of water and they are gone as well as most internal parasites

http://www.popscoops.com

16help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

pops coops wrote:Ivomec injectable in the only source of water and they are gone as well as most internal parasites

How much?  (the Ivomec to water ratio to bird ratio is what I meant Smile)

17help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

but....why the pest strip??

18help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

bigrock wrote:but....why the pest strip??

it sounds silly, but it does help keep bugs dead! there is something in it that doesnt seem to harm the chickens, eggs or stuff like that, but helps keep the mites and lice at bay....

personally, I think its one of those, "if it aint broke things" it hasnt broken anything to use it, it doesnt cost THAT much really, and the bugs dont seem to come back (or as soon/often if they come back at all)

19help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If Eprinex or Ivo are the door you close against parasites, then a No Pest strip is the lock you put on that door.

I have found that parasites can exist OUTSIDE your hen house. It is possible for your birds to bring a new batch in with them, like nasty little hitchhikers. The No PEst strip kicks them before they can get a strong foothold.

The effectiveness of the strip is determined by the size and airtightness of your hen house. A large, open, drafty area will not be as well protected as a smaller, enclosed, somewhat still (air wise) building.

If I can keep my birds crawler free by having a little plastic thingy hanging from the ceiling, why wouldn't I do it? I have not had to de-bug my birds for over 2 years. No lice, no mites, no ugly legs. No wrangling chickens, flapping and squawking and trying to suck up liquid without spilling it, dust flying everywhere as you use your three hands to hold the bird, part the feathers and apply the liquid...if I can avoid this scene, I will!

Plus a No Pest strip is a whole lot cheaper than a bottle of Eprinex!

20help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lanaire-ranching wrote:
pops coops wrote:Ivomec injectable in the only source of water and they are gone as well as most internal parasites

How much?  (the Ivomec to water ratio to bird ratio is what I meant Smile)

I use 1% ivomec injectable @ 4cc per gallon of water. I use this solution as the only source of water for 48 hrs, and change it daily. Repeat in 10 days. Works great to treat the whole flock as there is no need to catch everyone individually. Smile

21help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

good to know!!

thank you!

22help needed leg mites Empty Re: help needed leg mites Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

No prob, and your most welcome Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum