Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

horse mom brag

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1horse mom brag Empty horse mom brag Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It occurs to me that for someone who does not like horses, does not ride horses, I post a lot in the horse section. Oh well.

Forgive me and I understand the rolled eyes, but I can't help but toss out a horse mom brag.

Horsey Teen has two of her horses at local stable. Off the track TB, Wrecker, who is happy to run like a lunatic until he drops dead. And her standby, broke/ trained herself Clydesdale X TB, Nojack. (named for a small spit stop place in Alberta)

Both horses are in 15 acre field. Wrecker runs around like a spaz for 15 minutes when she arrives with halter. Nojack, she calls him and like a dog he comes running from wherever he is. Yesterday she took a young girl along to ride Nojack and after bridling him, asks him to kneel down so the young girl can get on. He kneels down. Then she fetches looney tunes and they both head out for ride. Nojack does not put one foot out of line.

Today as stable a woman approaches Horsey Teen and says, "Excuse me, do you own that horse out there?"
"Yes."
"Is he for sale?"
"No."

And conversation leads to this lady is the trainer, saw how Nojack behaved was very impressed and can she please use him as a lesson horse for a few beginner riders who have outgrown their lesson pony? I have to think if you are used to a pony and you show up at a lesson and are asked to get on Nojack, it might be a shock to the system. Being half Clyde, he is NOT small. He is in his 7th year and still growing. Daughter weeps as her beloved Barnsby fits him less well as his back changes.

Unlike some horses that are hard to move along, Horsey Teen could have sold Nojack 10 times over. She has had serious offers, the largest at $8000 (3 years ago), to which she said no. While conformationally he is a train wreck (her description) he is such a big, gentle love that everyone wants him. Once a very experienced jumper trainer watched Teen and Nojack navigate a jump course and said to me. "That horse is worth his weight in gold, he's saving your kid's a$$, because she doesn't have a CLUE what she's doing! Any other horse would have dumped her or fallen on his face or quit, but he just keeps going." And if Nojack thinks he can't get over something, he will happily and gleefully run right through it! As well, on courses, he is prone to improvisational course design. He figures why miss some of the jumps when you can just barrel over them ALL and still do it in record time? He's just so happy to do whatever you ask him to!

So he has been deemed kind enough and safe enough to be a lesson horse. Trainer said she is going to get on him first and flap and scream and kick her legs and see what he does. Wish I could be there for that. He is, after all, just a horse. But I think a good one. Bragging over.

2horse mom brag Empty Re: horse mom brag Fri May 11, 2012 1:46 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats on a job well done with training to your daughter.!! Hope things work well using him as a lesson horse

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3horse mom brag Empty Re: horse mom brag Fri May 11, 2012 6:17 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Uno, isn't that just a most beautiful thing to hear? You should be proud of Horsey Teen and Nojak, that picture painted was certainly a wonderful thing. I pictured this horse bowing to allow that rider to mount him, what a gentleman for surely. This says something wonderful about the trainer you know, smiling. Gentle can bring about gentle and this shines through how Horsey Teen trained this dude. Be the proud Mamma, your hand was in this too, a long time ago, you just don't know it Cool . Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

4horse mom brag Empty Re: horse mom brag Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wonderful story! I think we need at least one photo to admire a horse of great beauty - to those that know him.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5horse mom brag Empty Re: horse mom brag Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 am

Nojack is like a super-sized Black Labrador. His head is HUGE. He has kind, calm eyes. He bowed when I asked him to. It was amazing. Good job Horsey Teen, Mom. I love you

It might be nice if Nojack had a chance to have some new little kids fall in love with him. Some horses really thrive knowing they're helping, I'd even go so far as to say they understand the impact they can have on some peoples' lives.

I'd be cautious about having him used too much though. The life of a "Schoolie" is not one I'd want to sentence any horse to.

6horse mom brag Empty Re: horse mom brag Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

FarmChiq, you made me laugh, he IS like a big dog!

YOur point of caution is well taken and I mentioned this to Horsey Teen who said the trainer was quick to point out that these are not absolute beginners, they have had some lessons, and any face yanking, back bouncing or heel digging is quickly corrected. I do know that lesson horses who have a stream of untrained children on their backs endlessly can get very sour. Teen is aware and has said as much to trainer who said it should not be more than 2 lessons a week. But he needs something to do, something slow and not too demanding. He does like to go slow.

7horse mom brag Empty Re: horse mom brag Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some of those crossbreeds are the best. Our daughter did some lessons when she was younger. They had a terrific Belgium/Quarterhorse cross. I'm not a horse person but I would have been happy to own that one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum