Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators  Empty Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators Sun May 06, 2012 3:37 pm

So does anyone have a handy ,dandy way of cleaning styro foam incubators ? I have some stains that I want to remove and I am not sure what will clean yet not eat the styro foam

2Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators  Empty Re: Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators Sun May 06, 2012 6:47 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mr clean erasers worked on a styrofoam cooler I had and I did not notice that there was any damage. I have not tried it on an incubator though

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators  Empty Re: Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators Sun May 06, 2012 8:01 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

My Hovabator is styrofoam. Afer a hatch I wash it in the bathtub (only place big enough). I spritz it with a bleach/water solution, let it sit there a minute or two, rinse and air dry. If I need to I use a soft scrub brush to remove stuck on bits.

Mine has a few finger stains that don't seem to come out. And if the dirt gets dented into the foam, seems to be there forever. But I think once you've sprayed the interior with bleach and water, it's pretty sanitized and the 'stains' are cosmetic, but not a germ threat.

The bleach does not seem to eat the foam, but I dilute it and don't leave it on too long.

4Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators  Empty Re: Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I clean about the same way as Uno, but I have a large outdoor sink that I start with by rinsing away whatever is loose. The laundry room sink is about the same size with a hand sprayer. I add in some bleach and a bit of scrubbing with a sponge scrubbie. I blow the dust out of the fan and the wafer with the air compressor. There is a plastic liner available from Berryhill for the bottom.

5Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators  Empty Re: Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators Mon May 07, 2012 11:10 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

6Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators  Empty Re: Cleaning Styro Foam Incubators Mon May 07, 2012 11:18 am

HigginsRAT wrote:
prairie dog wrote:So does anyone have a handy ,dandy way of cleaning styro foam incubators ? I have some stains that I want to remove and I am not sure what will clean yet not eat the styro foam

Heel low:

I consider Styrofoam incubators a one time use option and therefore an expensive undertaking. We do all our artificial hatching in GQF 1266, Sportsman high velocity fan cabinet incubator with a hatch rate of 85 to 90 percent.

Gail Damerow, The Chicken Health Handbook:

Styrofoam Incubators
Although no one has formally studied the difficulty of cleaning styrofoam incubators, people using them have experienced hatching difficulties in successive years in spite of sanitation practices that would be adequate for a wooden incubator. Since disinfectants may not adequately penetrate the porous styrofoam, fumigation may be the only option.

Here are instructions on how to fumigate an incubator...not for the faint of heart or chemically challenged! No

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/s/00Man/AvianHusbandryTechniques/WfowlHusbIndTech/formaldehydefumigation.htm

Doggone & Chicken UP!!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta
- Miss yah Makes; December 7, 1995 – February 4, 2011 ^~~^

WF: DUCKS: Calls (24 varieties), East Indies, Mandarins, Crested Ducks, Australian Spotted, Hookbills, & Appleyards.
GEESE: Buff & Buff Pied American.
SWANS: Australian Black.
LF: BANTAM Brahmas, Wyandottes, Booteds, & Chanteclers & STANDARD Chanteclers (Partridge, Buff, Orange Clay, & White).
Heritage TURKEYS (Jersey Buff, Wishard Bronze, Narragansett, Slate, Red Bronze, Rusty Black, Dilute Rusty Black, Red Blue Bronze, Lilac, & Sweetgrass).
PHEASANTS: Red Golden & Silver.
Registered: Australian Cattle Dogs, Jacob Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, & Llamas. Pond Fish.
................never had any problems with them ?last hatch was 100% and they normally are in the 90% range so I'm quite happy with them .A liner might be the ticket ? but there has to be a cleaner for styro foam that is out there ,just no one has heard of it ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum