Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cleaning products for Incubators?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cleaning products for Incubators? Empty Cleaning products for Incubators? Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a styrofoam hovabator (1588) and want to give it a really thorough cleaning after my current hatch is over. I used bleach and water solution last time, then let it dry in the sun. I’m not sure if the bleach did the job good enough though, because I had quite a high number of blood rings and mid deaths with my guinea eggs. What does everyone recommend/use to clean and disinfect their bators? TIA! Smile

2Cleaning products for Incubators? Empty Re: Cleaning products for Incubators? Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have read where you are not supposed to use bleach with the styrofoam type's because the bleach penetrates and then releases back into the bator when you have eggs in it. I don't know if I believe that but I quit using bleach and use Virkon which kills absolutely everything mixed at 1% and then you just spay it on and let it sit for 10 minutes and not more than 30 minutes because it will begin to corrode any metal parts that you spray it on with. Then rinse with potable water. If you want to mix a one liter spray bottle then put 2 1/2 teaspoons of virkon in the bottle and then add warm water. Don't mix up more than you will use in a two week period. I have three 1588's that I clean with Virkon as well as my brooders. If you lived closer I could sell you some cheap because I bought the 5kg bottle for 140.00 but will never use it in a lifetime.

3Cleaning products for Incubators? Empty Re: Cleaning products for Incubators? Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

just spray it with Virkon, it is used under another name in hospitals and it is also ued to kill black mould

http://www.popscoops.com

4Cleaning products for Incubators? Empty Re: Cleaning products for Incubators? Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I would never use bleach straight, I do like a capful to a a couple of quarts. I wash it first with soap and water, let it dry, then rince with a little bleach water. Then rince again. Leaving it in the sun will kill most bacteria.

If it isn't particularily dirty, then just soap and water.

And yes Virkon is an incredibly effective disinfectant. I just don't think I need to be bothered with something like strong.

AND it isn't as effective as some others on spores and fungi. I expect that most folks have bacteria and mold in their incubators more than anything else.

Make sure you clean the lid too. I sometimes think that's where folks forget to clean and the bacteria just reestablishes itself.

5Cleaning products for Incubators? Empty Re: Cleaning products for Incubators? Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. And the very kind offer Dan. Smile

It’s not like my bator looks dirty or anything. Nor does it smell. And I actually did remember to clean the lid, even took apart the PITA fan holder thingy to clean underneath. I just don’t understand why so many of my guinea eggs died during incubation and thought my bator might be the culprit…after all, isn’t the leading cause of blood rings bacteria? scratch

Anyhow, I called our local Co-op and lucked out. They sell small packages of Virkon (powder form) for $4.99, so I have one on hold until I can pick it up tomorrow. I want my bator in top form and squeaky clean for my next hatch. bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum