Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby Grit for the boids!

+2
lisab
Hidden River
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 am

Because I'm having a hard time getting answers from my local feed store... I'm interested in knowing what to use as baby grit.

My feed store kept saying "You just need grit for layers for calcium." I need oyster shell for my layers for calcium. I asked if there's something specially made for baby chicks or if you just use sand. "Unless they're laying they don't need calcium." Yus I get that, but I don't want to give them calcium. *Facepalm headdesk*

I read that you should give chicks baby grit but not to use Oyster shell because it's absorbed and the amount of calcium could be detrimental.

What do I use...?

2Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

You want to use granite grit. You can pick up 3 different sizes at most co-op feed stores. The little grit is for baby birds. BUT unless you are feeding your babies grains you dont need to feed them grit. The pelleted chick starters break down easily, do not have to be ground up in the crop like grain does. BUT once you start feeding them table scraps, grass, grains then you need grit. You could even get canary grit from Pet stores if you wanted for young birds.
The limestone grit is calcium, so make sure you do not use that.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 am

Hidden River wrote:You want to use granite grit. You can pick up 3 different sizes at most co-op feed stores. The little grit is for baby birds. BUT unless you are feeding your babies grains you dont need to feed them grit. The pelleted chick starters break down easily, do not have to be ground up in the crop like grain does. BUT once you start feeding them table scraps, grass, grains then you need grit. You could even get canary grit from Pet stores if you wanted for young birds.
The limestone grit is calcium, so make sure you do not use that.

Thanks Hidden. That's what I needed to know. I found my broody momma has a cackle fit when I feed the other birds their scraps/greens and I cant give her any because of the babies. I'll find some granite on payday and get it down for them. Free choice or mix with food?

Moose thought maybe cuttle bones, but is that calcium as well?

4Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 am

lisab

lisab

I didn't find chick size grit either so I used a strainer to get the sand and tiny bits out of standard chicken grit then continued giving the large sized grit to the adults. It works great for my small flock of 20 chicks and I use strainers with larger holes as they grow Smile

5Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 8:44 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Grit should be free choice, as should oyster shell. Grit is "teeth" for birds - that's how they chew. Calcium is for eggshells and bones. Grit is NOT calcium. Oyster shell is calcium. Cuttlefish bone (actually an internal shell) is calcium, too. Too much calcium is bad for non-layers. Most birds, like other critters, will take what they need (grit, calcium and food) when offered free choice.

6Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

For the babies I just use budgy grit from the pet shops. Just sprinkle it on the feed.

7Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 11:04 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler wrote:For the babies I just use budgy grit from the pet shops. Just sprinkle it on the feed.

I use grit from the pet store as well. Very Happy

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

8Baby Grit for the boids! Empty Re: Baby Grit for the boids! Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Exactly. The bag of grit I have from the feed store has a list of sizes of grit on it - with a check for the size of grit it is and the smallest listed (which they don't sell, you have to go to the pet store) is "budgie grit".

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum