Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Country Market Article. You cant buy great advertising like this!

+6
chickeesmom
Fowler
liz
toybarons
Hidden River
Arcticsun
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok, I sound like a bit of a moron... but it is pretty darn good I think, especially for advertising the sale. I have already had calls about the sale because of it!
And no, I dont have 200 bird. Im pretty sure I have about 100 including chicks. lol...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thursday, April 19, 2012

County Market
Tastes like chicken . . . only better

*PHOTO*
The Chantecler chicken is one specifically bred for Canadian winters. It has less wattle and comb, which would otherwise not deal well with snow and cold and the feathers are also slightly more insulating.

More Photos

Tastes like chicken . . . only better

By Dave Lazzarino

Posted 2 days ago

WETASKIWIN - Birds of a feather flock together, but for a growing group of producers the flock is a looking a little more diverse.

Shannon de Bruin is a Wetaskiwin-based member of the Canadian Heritage Breeds Association (CHBA), a group pushing to bring back some breeds of livestock that are not as widely known.

“Heritage breeds are the breeds that were originally around before the commercial breeds came up,” de Bruin explained. “The commercial breeds are bred to be identical. They have a very narrow gene pool on them because you want those birds to produce at absolutely optimal levels. It’s a business and you want them to all do everything at exactly the same time.”

Heritage breeds, on the other hand, can have a range of colour, size and temperament. And that’s just the chickens. The group is trying to promote the heritage strains of poultry, waterfowl, guinea fowl, sheep, pigs, horses and cattle as well.

Right now, de Bruin is focusing on chickens because she said they are easiest market to get into.

“There’s some 250 different breeds and that’s just what we recognize here in North America, never mind what’s in Europe and South America,” she said. “The big difference, the heritage breeds grow slower and produce a little bit less than your optimal commercial breeds. However, when you fast-grow or fast-produce something, you can’t get as much nutrients into it. So there’s really no comparing the texture and flavour of a slow-grown heritage breed of chicken or turkey or goose to something that is a factory broiler animal.”

Where a factory chicken is ready to butcher at about eight weeks, the heritage breeds take another month to mature. But the benefit comes in the taste.

“It’s a much richer flavour, the meat tends to be firmer and juicier,” she said. Because of that, cooking requires less added ingredients like salt.

The egg layers also offer some benefit to the farmer because they can produce for up to seven years where the mass-produced animals have a cutoff of closer to two years.

The CHBA is still in its infancy but many of their members have branched out into vegetables and different forms of livestock as well.

“There’s a lot of people in the club who breed 10 or 12 different breeds of tomato and there’s a lot of swapping of seeds and plants that goes on during our meet,” said de Bruin, who feels her 200 chickens puts her at about the average sized operation in the club.

“It’s a completely different business model. There’s no comparing it. When we do sell it’s usually more of a niche market boutique — people who are looking for organic, people who are chemical sensitive quite often don’t have a lot of choice. People with lots of allergies will have to go to someone who has the organic or the heritage birds,” she said.

Right now the group is busy promoting their efforts and making appearances at markets with the products.

They are planning to hold a market sale in Wetaskiwin at the Drill Hall on June 16 and are looking to get more people involved with small flocks.

They are also looking for vendors to take part. The CHBA can be found online at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a pretty good write up. It is nice to have something like that for people to know what CHBA really is and what they are trying to promote.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrates on the article. Really looking forward to the sale.

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good job! It's like you wrote the article and handed it to him. Suspect

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I DID NOT!
I was chatting on the phone with him and didnt even realize that it was "the interview" I thought it was preliminary questions that he was asking to prep for the interview.

If I had written it there would have been much much more about silkies.
And maybe a poem.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very good article! cheers

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What a great article. I expect anyone that reads it is going to have to come out and see what is all there. Looking forwards to the sale.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fabulous Arctic! You are an ambassador for heritage chickens!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

That was a great article, a nice write up!

I like the pic as well. I recognize that tractor Razz

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great article! People don't seem to understand the wide varieties of Heritage livestock and the import role they play in agriculture!
Hope everyone is hatching lots for this sale!

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Im getting calls from people who want geese, ducks, chickens, chicks, even hatching eggs. They also want to know about breeds and pure breeds and reccomendations. There is defintiely a market for the heritage breeds.

The other interesting ons is people asking about home made soaps, lotions, etc etc.

Im also getting inqueries for eating eggs. I am telling them that they can meet people who can sell off thier farm at the sale.

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well done cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum