Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness?

+19
HiddenAcresBC
'lilfarm
lisab
Grandma Art
fuzzylittlefriend
Dan Smith
coopslave
viczoe
chickeesmom
Island Girl
HigginsRAT
KathyS
Schipperkesue
CynthiaM
uno
ChicoryFarm
mirycreek
Hidden River
silkiebantam
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

126Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty You guys are soooo neat Sat May 19, 2012 9:55 am

ValsIslandPoultry

New Here

Hi, I just wanted to say, after reading these replies to Silkie that you are a very supportive bunch, and I'm glad I joined this forum. I'm still trying to find the time to read through everything already posted but I just had to thank you all for the comforting, way you all responded. It can be a lonely thing being a chicken person, and very hard to understand by the outsider,good job there are other chicken people around to help and understand. I love the people hear on the island, they are so willing to share their expertize. Most of us want the best life for these birds even the ones that have a short life and it can be a very isolated at times, doesn't fit into the general afternoon tea conversation, much easier for people to understand my affection for my Standard Poodle and much easier to get medical attention for him. He loves my silkies by the way, he's a white standard and believes they are mini poodles I think. Moved them from one coup to the other and he was so please when he finally found them! Don't know how to get picture on here, when I figure it out I'll post one.

http://www.valsislandpoultry.com

127Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Sun May 20, 2012 8:36 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks. I have lots of time to research and see what I want to do next year. I know my flock had many birds that weren't really for breeding, but more for seeing if I liked the breed. It gave me a chance to experiment with what breeds I wanted. This next time, I have more of a better idea of what breeds I like best and which ones I think I will go with.

I know for sure that I really enjoyed my Cochins and will be getting those again for sure. Also I loved the Blue Laced Wyandottes, and have always wanted Ameraucana's, so they will be on my list of things to get. I'll try and not keep to many breeds this next time around. My problem is I like way to many breeds. lol

Do you know if Sandhill Preservation has a website where I could look at pictures of their stock? I like to see pictures so that there are no huge surprises. lol (I'm so snoopy!)

ValsIslandPoultry, This group is just awesome. I don't think you could find a more wonderful or helpful group of people. I truly appreciate each and every one of them. They have been so supportive that it has brought often tears to my eyes and I am so very thankful. Sometimes it takes a chicken person to understand a chicken person.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

128Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

uno wrote:Uh....I will toss my boot into the fray.

I am having a hard time with this. Not that your birds are sick. But that it has become some huge, emotional, turmoil filled event of self evaluation, agony and almost religious soul searching. A nail biting excursion into 'do I cull, don't I cull, do I send for necropsy or not, is this the end of my chicken days'?

All of these questions are, of course, going to occur to you in a moment of flock illness. But how much personal agony you allow this to cause you...that is the question, or one of them.

Getting this disease is NOT some personal failing on your part! This disease is GLOBAL! World wide. Bigger than your back yard, your province, bigger than your country or continent. And there is little old you feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders because your birds are sick. As if this is a reflection on you as a chicken keeper and you have failed. WRONG!

Silkie, I would say, for the sake of your mental health, do not go down the path of personalizing an event that is largely beyond your control and has happened to perhaps billions of chickens over the years.

I would quote you here but I never really got the hang of that, but you were wondering if all the eggs you might sell for hatching will be contaminated. Let me ask you a question...if you kill every bird on your place, have empty buldings for a year or two, are you going to refuse to ever have chickens again based on the possibility that something might go wrong? Because that is EXACTLY what the reality is!! If you start over, there is an extreme liklihood that the eggs you get or the new birds you get have the same damn thing! It is EVERYWHERE. So, should you throw in the towel and quit keeping birds forever because it might not be a guaranteed success? So yes, your egs might contain sick birds. And then new eggs you get to start a new flock are also pretty likely to contain sick birds!
Excuss me???????????
Higgins, your knowledge (and ability to use the quote function) is staggering. BUt after reading your posts, I still cannot decipher, for certain and with clarity, what it is you are trying to say? Are you telling Silkie to kill them all and build Fort Knox around the new ones? Are you telling her to realize and accept the vagaries and uncertainties of life and forge ahead? Are you telling her to dose them puppies with antibiotics now and forever as a control and preventative? I CANNOT get a clear picture of your stance, other than you, like the rest of us, struggle with where you draw your personal line. And that decision is just that, personal. And a struggle.

Silkie, if I was in your kitchen having coffee with you, this would be my advice to you: Treat them. Give them the recommended dose for the suggested time and after that...it's out of your hands. If htey live, they live, if they die, they die. If they live with the odd recurrence of symptoms, well, so they get symptoms. It's annoying but not fatal. Like how I feel about the common cold. Annoying, but rarely fatal...also not eradicated...also recurring...also global....and no reason to quit life because you might get a cold.

The eggs you bought came with NO GUARANTEE of disease free and it is not your personal torch to bear to send out into the world eggs that you can guarantee as disease free. Because NO ONE ON THIS SITE can make that claim, nor would I expect them to! You do have an obligation to not send out eggs from a hen who is so sick you have to prop her up with sticks to keep her on the nest. You do have an obligation to take all steps reasonable to ensure a healthy flock. But to cull your whole flock with the idea that this extreme step will buy you some sort of absolution from the chicken gods and you will be granted a disease free flock ever after, is crazy.

I will state that if you keep birds, just as Higgins said, LIVEstock can become DEADstock. But I would only take the radical cull step if it guaranteed you a problem free start over. But it does not. So what would you gain?

It is my belief that birds who have this and recover are STRONGER, have a fighters; constitution. Give your birds every chance and every boost to live. Then realize that doing your best IS good enough. I would only cull those who continue to be droopy sickies. And after that...enjpoy them, they will be alive and act/look like chickens.

You did not invent this disease, you will not cure this disease, you will never be truly protected from this disease and starting over is just spinning your wheels, in my humble and rambling opinion. And if you are willing to admit that your flock has it, in all honesty most of us should admit that our flocks probably have had it too!

Do NOT agonize more than you have to.

129Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:23 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Plucky Lady, I am guessing that you are taking issue with my statement that no one can make the claim of disease free eggs. Is that correct?

130Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:20 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, I did not understand Plucky lady's point either, she made no comment that I could see, only quoted what you had said. Perhaps she had meant to say something but just did not Embarassed Anyways, you had a good comment going on, I liked it, have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

131Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never hurts to read a good comment twice!

132Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Sorry gals! Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

So so sorry I was reading the whole topic I was just shocked at the egg dipping thing and went to comment and got thrown into cyberspace! Do you really think that would work?? The egg dipping?? I've been in contact with

133Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:22 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

Ok! Let's try this again... I don\'t get it . I had a few chicks that I brought home that I had in quarantine for 30 days in my house. They looked great, one of the new chicks had puffy eyes and I thought maybe it was from the wood shavings I had just put in their brooder. I always leave my chicks on paper towel for the first month. I put some of my chicks that I had hatched with them and moved them out to my deck so they could enjoy the sunshine. Within a few days all the chicks were sick. The ones in the coop were fine. After a heart wrenching few weeks I had someone suggest that I send one of the chicks in for testing. I got the call within a week and Mycoplazma was confirmed. I culled all of the sick chicks. Hardest thing I've had to do with my birds. So now...I'm concerned about the ones in the coop. The sick chicks weren't near the coop but I was while caring for the sick babies in my laundry room. I'm stuck with wondering if my breeding birds could have been infected by me? This was a month ago now and so far I haven't seen any of the symtoms. (Knock on Wood!)

Chicken

134Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:30 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia, I read the quoted post (my post) and the only difference is the word 'excuse me????????????' That was not in my original post and was added. So I wondered if Pluckylady was taking isue with my assertion that this illness is global, epidemic, ubiquitous and permanent.

Pluckylady, if you are having trouble with the 'quote' function, you are not alone! It remains a mystery to me! I find it very hard to use - don't anyone give me pointers, they just don't make any sense to my fuddled head.

Pluckylady, good luck with your birds and what you decide to do.

135Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

uno wrote:Cynthia, I read the quoted post (my post) and the only difference is the word 'excuse me????????????' That was not in my original post and was added. So I wondered if Pluckylady was taking isue with my assertion that this illness is global, epidemic, ubiquitous and permanent.

Pluckylady, if you are having trouble with the 'quote' function, you are not alone! It remains a mystery to me! I find it very hard to use - don't anyone give me pointers, they just don't make any sense to my fuddled head.

Pluckylady, good luck with your birds and what you decide to do.

Hello???? Pluckylady here, do you think the egg dipping would work??

136Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pluckylady, cross fingers for your coop. How long is incubation For Myco before it can show up in your birds? I would suggest giving them a course of Denagard just to be sure. And yes, apparently the egg dip works.

Did you buy eggs or chicks?

137Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:00 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I believe the incubation period for Mycoplasma is 10 - 21 days. It can survive for up to 3 weeks outside of the birds body, and something like a month in a Dead bird (so get rid of any that die asap).

Plucky Lady, maybe you could stress some of your main flock by moving them around or something and watching to see if they show any symptoms. I know that the not knowing is horrible. Nothing like doubting things.

I asked the vet about the Egg Dip. He said that a person could do it and that some hatcheries do but the best way to be sure that the chicks you get don't have Myco is to buy from places that test for it.

When I start up again I will be egg dipping. I'm even thinking that maybe I will dip my own eggs that in incubate for selling chicks. There is always the possibility it could lower hatch rates, but I think it would be worth it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

138Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Thanks Silkiebantam Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

I haven't heard from ypu in a while I hope things are getting a little better for you! The egg dipping...I thought if it helped for mycoplazma I thought that it might be a good idea as a percaution for many things. And about my chicks, no one knows how hard it can be to watch those birds go through what we saw unless they've been there. I'm glad you had the support from this site. There are some good people on here.
Bye for now,
Warmly,
Pluckylady

139Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:23 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

Schipperkesue wrote:Pluckylady, cross fingers for your coop. How long is incubation For Myco before it can show up in your birds? I would suggest giving them a course of Denagard just to be sure. And yes, apparently the egg dip works.

Did you buy eggs or chicks?

I sent you a PM

140Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:52 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

pluckylady wrote:I haven't heard from ypu in a while I hope things are getting a little better for you! The egg dipping...I thought if it helped for mycoplazma I thought that it might be a good idea as a percaution for many things. And about my chicks, no one knows how hard it can be to watch those birds go through what we saw unless they've been there. I'm glad you had the support from this site. There are some good people on here.
Bye for now,
Warmly,
Pluckylady

Thanks, Pluckylady! I have my good and my bad days. Yesterday sucked. Probably because I was outside doing yard work most of the day and I really notice it then. Also, I attempted to make a pair of feather earrings from one of my Roo's. Probably wait a while before I do that again. Today's not so bad, but then I've been busy in the house.

The chicks that were sick, were really sick and it was hard to see. I have a cold right now, and I'm sure I feel nothing as bad as those little things felt. It is hard to see and you cant help but feel horrible for them.

I was wondering if the egg dip helped prevent other things as well. It's definitely something to think about.

The people on this site have been so wonderful. They are amazing.

141Sick Chicks.  Respiratory Illness? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sick Chicks. Respiratory Illness? Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:06 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So sorry for your losses silkiebantam and pluckylady. Many of us have been down similiar roads and feel you pain. Just wanted to share one of my favorite poems with you. I have it on a plaque that my Mom gave me some years ago when I was going through a rough patch. There is no author given so unfortunately I cannot give credit to the author. I'm thinking it may be one of those "author unknown" situations.

Don't Quit

When things go wrong as they sometimes will
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh
Don't quit.

When care is pressing you down a bit
Rest if you must, but don't you quit
Life if queer with its twists and turns
As everyone of us sometimes learns
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace is slow
You may succeed with another blow.

Sucess is failure turned inside out
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt
And you never can tell how close you are
It may be close when it seems so far
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit
It's when things seem worse that you must not quit.

Wishing you both the best though you've been through some rough waters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum