Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sick chicken

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sick chicken Empty Sick chicken Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 pm

chickiepoo

New Here

Hello, I'm new flower (Great emoticons here!! Money Throw )
Looking for some advice or words of wisdom about my poor sick chicken.
We have 5 hens. All are about 10 months old. Nobody new has come or gone recently, we've had them all since last summer. 4 are beautiful and healthy.
But one has been "off" for nearly a month now. She's a white, supposedly, EO. We've had her since she was about 6-ish weeks old, and she's always been healthy and looked normal, until about a month ago.

I've now had her isolated for over a week. She had a lot of bugs (I'm assuming lice) on her just before we isolated her. Yet, the other girls had none (thankfully! But we treated them all too.)
So since isolating sick chicken, we bathed her, and doused her with dusting powder. She's lice free now, no more creepy crawlies on her, although I know I need to re-dust and inspect her in about a week because the eggs will be hatching.

So her issue: she stands like a runner duck or a penguin. Extremely upright. We can't pick her up like we used to, we now have to gently scoop her up from underneath without touching or pinning her wings, or she has a fit as if it's hurting her. She doesn't really walk, mostly stands still. Doesn't sit, just stands. And she's tippy when she does move. When she does walk, she highsteps...it's incredibly odd to see, she pulls those feet up like she's stepping on hot coals.
She's eating and drinking well, I've been cooking her up all sorts of different things and she's eating it all up. Loves cooked egg yolk with shredded apple, spinach, berries and yogurt.
So, for a chicken in a rubbermaid tote, she's doing great! But she can't live in my garage in a tote forever.

Doesn't, "to me" (and I'm nooooo expert!! Laughing ) seem as if it's Marek's. But it's something wierd and neurological. She's still laying, almost daily. (I'm tossing them.) One of her legs is quite turned-in as well, and I had never noticed that before when she was younger.

Any thoughts or advice or experience with a chicken that stands like a duck and walks like a Tennesee Walker?
She's a lovely pet, and seems healthy otherwise. I'd hate to have to off her. But realistically, not sure if I'll be able to integrate her back into the coop. And I worry....could this be contagious? I'm thinking likely not, but again I"m no expert.
Thanks all. sunny

2Sick chicken Empty Re: Sick chicken Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I once had a chicken just like that and she lived quite a while walking just like you describe like a penguin...but eventually died.
From later research I did i suspect she may have had Salpingitis-an oviduct infection causded by ecoli.
I feel pretty certain it will not be something your other chickens are going to catch from her...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum