Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cochin hen and a duckling

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cochin hen and a duckling Empty Cochin hen and a duckling Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My cochin hen just hatched out a duckling. It is a mixed breed, one of the first eggs laid, she was broody so I put two under her. She hatched out one (Other was infertile). My question is will it be safe for momma cochin to care for this baby? I also have some due to hatch today in the incubator, so it will have friends eventually (fingers crossed) but if momma would raise them all I would let her.
Anyone had a chicken raise ducklings?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Cochin hen and a duckling Empty Re: Cochin hen and a duckling Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've heard they can do well. Just that she'll be left to fret on shore if the little guy takes to water.

3Cochin hen and a duckling Empty Re: Cochin hen and a duckling Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:I've heard they can do well. Just that she'll be left to fret on shore if the little guy takes to water.

Same thing I have heard, just don't have any experience with it. Have heard about ducks raising chicks too, but you have to be careful they don't drown them.

4Cochin hen and a duckling Empty Re: Cochin hen and a duckling Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:05 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hidden they can raise them just fine.
My grandpa always talked about a hen who hatched out some ducklings... The poor hen almost had a heart attack when her babies started swimming, she was running around the slough clucking at them. She soon learned to talk the ducklings to the water and just spend the day around the slough and take the back to the barn at night.

Also a zoo we always went to as kids, there they always had a hen with ducklings and a duck with chicks.

Good luck

5Cochin hen and a duckling Empty Re: Cochin hen and a duckling Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

gubi

I tried it last year and had a silkie successfully hatch and raise call ducklings. I usually leave the broodies in the flock but separated her in her own tractor.
Cochin hen and a duckling 229781_10150164347286227_556756226_7303861_941011_n

I have currently another silkie hen sitting on call eggs.

6Cochin hen and a duckling Empty Re: Cochin hen and a duckling Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a cute picture Gubi.
I have seperated the hen and duckling to their own pen and all seems well, I will move these ducklings that hatch in the bator in with her and see how she acts, would be nice is she could brood these first little ones.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum