Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duckling just hatched

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Duckling just hatched Empty Duckling just hatched Mon May 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a call duck that just hatched and its neck is tucked under its chest. Almost like it would be if it was still in the shell. Will this correct its self or will this duckling have to be culled Question

2Duckling just hatched Empty Re: Duckling just hatched Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would make sure there is no dried yolk on it holding it that way, if not I am not sure it will correct itself. I would give it a day or two if it is not in distress and see.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Duckling just hatched Empty Re: Duckling just hatched Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

First thing I thought too Jayme was dried yolk, nope no dried yolk. I will monitor it for a couple days and see if it straightens out.

4Duckling just hatched Empty Re: Duckling just hatched Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Could it be the "star gazer" thing I got help with a couple of weeks ago just showing itself in a different way?? Instead of looking at the sky my duckling tipped to the side but with vitamins it's hard to tell which one it is now Smile I've been warned not to use it for breeding but it seems to be recovering very well. Can you move the head out straight? I could move the head any way I wanted to without it struggling much so I figured there was no injury. Hope your duckling is ok

5Duckling just hatched Empty Re: Duckling just hatched Mon May 16, 2011 10:00 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would give it a couple of days Valerie. It will probably straighten itself out. Lou

6Duckling just hatched Empty Re: Duckling just hatched Mon May 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can straighten its neck easily. It's still in the bator, I will probably take it out tomorrow. I will put vitamins in the water. I would guess I will have to help it drink. I haven't heard about this star gazer, I will check it out.

Thanks everyone

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum