Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CFIA Vrs. The little people

+2
Arcticsun
Swamp Hen
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty CFIA Vrs. The little people Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Anyone heard about the CFIA and the Shropshire sheep flock in Ontario?

The poor woman sold a sheep to Alberta, three YEARS latter it tested positive for Scrapie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapie). So they traced the sheep and demanded her entire flock be euthanised, despite showing NO symptoms and every single sheep on the farm testing negative (live tests are only 85% accurate). She offered to keep a closed flock and continue monitoring, wasn't good enough. Offered to destroy part of the flock and retain the most genetically valuble individuals. Wasnt good enough either. So today, when the sheep were scheduled to be destoryed, a group calling themselves the Farmers Peace Corps, stole the sheep.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I realise the economic implications of a nation aquiring the international perception that its "National Flock" is contaminated with Scrapie. I lived through BSE in a small farming town where most farms included some degree of beef production. I also recall the back stabbing and accusations from RCALF. Whats to stop one nation from planting a diseased animal? But I digress.

To me, keeping the flock isolated and monitored should have been enough to satisfy containment concerns. I'm unsure how "load them (the euthanised animals) in a trailer and ship them to a deadstock and pet food facility near Ottawa." in any way shape or form, is a safe containment of "suspected" disease carying carcasses.

I also realise that its only one side of the story, but man, its a sad day when your govenrment bodies and your Minister of Agriculture go to war with an Atomic Bomb when a double set of perimiter fencing would have sufficed.

So watch your flocks, and keep your best birds in secret locations, it appears thats the only way to protect them

2CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Normally I would be in favour of being careful and safe, however this is insane.
Good for them!

3CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know nothing about this particular case. But have opinions about the CFIA.

When anything is as large and unaccountable as the CFIA, they are the embodiement of evil. No matter how large the mistake, how outrageous the stupidity, no matter how ignorant the CFIA is about the truth, they roll on like a mindless machine. There is no one in charge of THINKING, making critical judgements or making changes when they have made mistakes...which they most assurendly have! The larger an agency, the more profoundly stupid it becomes and the CFIA could not be more stupid if it was mandated to be! Our food safety has been placed in the hands of a robot, a government bureauocracy that has one thing and one thing only on its mind: To keep itself employed. You and the reality of your situation DO NOT MATTER!

The CFIA built animal cruelty into the system of food production when they disallowed the small scale sale of on-site butchered animals. In my mind the greatest act of humanity is to shoot some unsuspecting cow in the head while it has its face in a bucket of oats. Never sees it coming. In a move that is pure drooling lunacy, the CFIA stepped in and ensured that your animals MUST BE STRESSED before they die! It's called transportation to a govt approved slaughter facility. This country is run by the biggest fools we have been able to produce.

The sad thing is that the big players (large scale producers) have been the ones to happpily throw us under the wheels of the bus, to sacrifice their simple country cousins. Small scale producers have NEVER been a threat to the big players, we dont even sell to the same markets! But again...this would require thinking and that has never been part of ANY govt agency, most assuredly not the CFIA!

I can legally buy and smoke cigarettes, WHICH WILL KILL ME, I am allowed to walk into a liquor store and purchase enough alcohol TO KILL ME, I drive vehicles with speed potential enough TO KILL ME, but I can't eat beef raised and slaughtered at my neighbour's place? We have utter IDIOTS at the wheel and what makes us unsafe is not tainted meat, but THEM!

4CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:46 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

They might want to check Kijiji.

Also watch for out of season Nativiy scenes popping up. They would probably need 5 or 6 to hide that many sheep.

I don't think I would dare do something like that. It will be interesting to follow.

5CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

6CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

More:

7CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

I especially like the line in the second article. "Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz says “while animal disease situations are always unfortunate it is vital that government and industry can work together on the basis of sound science to protect the long term sustainability of the sheep industry.”

Show me where there is sound science proving these animals are infected?! And show me, exactly where the government and industry have worked together in this case?? Govermnet Dictated, end of story. Or at least, would have been.

"Police said the missing sheep are valued at approximately $35,000." As if they give two bits what the flock is valued at. I wonder, were they going to compensate this woman for that amount?

"Scrapie is primarily transmitted when an infected ewe sheds agents of the disease in placental fluids and other sheep ingest them. Once in the environment, "they are extremely resistant to removal" and can remain present "for years and years and years," Dr. Farenhorst said." <--- But we are going to erradicate the disease in Canada! Uh huh. Sounds like saying your going to eradicate the Flu.

8CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:42 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was leaning towards her side BUT after talking to the Ag. Minster (of Canada) found out she was offered a preservation plan, how ever she never took it. So no i do not care what happens. At least the government tried to meet her half way!

9CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Call Ducks, do you have a link to that information? I'm interested to see what they offered her.

10CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Swamp Hen wrote:Call Ducks, do you have a link to that information? I'm interested to see what they offered her.

No, only an email. I was shocked that he replied to be honest!

But here is an image of the reply

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:21 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

12CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 pm

That email screenshot sounds more like a sudden mask put up in the line of fire the government has been placed in on this, just my opinion. I highly doubt a woman who voluntarily had all of her sheep tested would decline to persue an exclusion considering she offered to do a quarantine and cease selling her flock.

13CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Taken from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"We don’t have any proof of scrapie, but I’ve been adhering to the monitoring and quarantine regulations for 2 years and don’t wish that status to be compromised."

If thats the case, what other "risk mitigating measures" were they requiring? Was it simply that the papperwork to apply for said "deviation" was not filed? I find that hard to beleive when the woman has a lawyer aiding her.

Tara, I know nothing about her management (or lack of) Heeler Holler . I'm more concerned over the CFIA's handling of the situation, and what it means for all us "little people." I hope your organization gets its money back though!

14CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
Swamp Hen wrote:Anyone heard about the CFIA and the Shropshire sheep flock in Ontario?

The poor woman sold a sheep to Alberta, three YEARS latter it tested positive for Scrapie ...

Poor woman? Montana Jones...

Say "Hello" to her for the Australian Cattle Dog Club of Canada...ask her when that second Heeler Holler newsletter for the 40 to 50 members is being sent out? The newsletters she was forwarded hundreds of dollars to produce, yet never did. Ask her if she's found that little girl's (a juniour member of the club) drawings of her Cattle Dog which she promised to publish in that second edition...broke the kid's heart.

Montana Jones is well known...her reputation precedes her. Suspect

Tara

Interesting. She used to be involved with Rare Breeds Canada and then her name suddenly dropped off everything. I always wondered if there had been a disagreement of some sort.

Regardless, like Swamp Hen, I am more concerned about the overall implications than one small producer.

15CFIA Vrs. The little people Empty Re: CFIA Vrs. The little people Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum