Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CFIA poised to destroy an entire healthy flock of Shropshire Sheep - petition

+5
Schipperkesue
nuthatch333
ChicoryFarm
shadowridge
Cathyjk
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Go here to sign petition: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

FROM the WEBSITE:
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has elected to destroy a healthy flock of rare heritage breed Shropshire sheep at Wholearth Farmstudio, a Northumberland County farm that conserves heritage livestock genetics. If the 44 animals are killed, the breed will be several steps closer to extinction with only 107 registered breeding females, 38 ewe lambs and 16 rams remaining in Canada. At one time the Shropshire was the preferred sheep breed in North America, with over a half a million registered animals. The Wholearth flock bloodlines trace back to their 1882 descendants by way of the first Shropshire sheep imported here from England at the turn of the century.

Heritage breed farmer/shepherd Montana Jones has spent the last 12 years preserving their rare genetics and is alarmed that despite lab results proving her entire flock tested negative for scrapie, CFIA officials have decided to ‘depopulate’ all of her beloved QQ genotyped sheep. Sheep that have a QQ genotype are considered less resistant to scrapie, however that does not necessarily mean those animals would ever acquire it.

Almost extinct

CFIA recently destroyed 50 sheep at Coyote Acres farm in Alberta, after discovering a scrapie positive sheep there two years ago. CFIA’s investigation team has no definitive answers as to the original source of the Alberta farm infection, but is now targeting the Ontario farm flock because the Alberta case was allegedly found in a sheep born in the Wholearth flock more than 5 years ago. It was one of many tissues submitted for testing and concerns have arisen surrounding possible misidentification. Scrapie is not a human health risk but can affect
the productivity of affected sheep and the CFIA mandate is to eradicate the disease.

Last edited by Cathyjk on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

shadowridge

New Here

RR sheep are scrapie resistant, not QQ, they have the least resistance. Her sheep should be tested for resistance, if they are not already, and go from there. Perhaps anything RR and maybe QR could be put in a couple generational or longer quarantine. In this day and age of zero acceptance, even though scrapie has been around as long as there have been sheep, she should not be breeding sheep without resistance, even an endangered breed in my opinion. This is not the first time this type of cull has happened here in western Canada, a few years back several well known purebred Hampshire herds were destroyed because of scrapie. Several of us were of the opinion then that the source was an imported (I won't say from where) ram, but this whole business has its very not so innocent side. If she was the source of Coyote Acres scrapie she should no longer expect to sell, because of the damage potential to the livelihoods of others and perception of of Canada's sheep herd, others with long established herds have rights too, and in the past other breeders followed the rules, even though it cost them.

http://shadowsridgefarm.weebly.com/

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Done and we forwarded the petition on to two other groups.

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I signed the petition, I don't know that much about sheep or scrapie, but I remember the wanton culling of chickens in the Langley area a few years ago. The panic, lack of research, and accomodation of commercial interests, prevailed then over the value of heritage breeds.
It will be hard to breed in resistance if the government decided just to cull everything just to be on the safe side.
It may well be more prudent to cull them, I don't know, but if they test healthy then I think maybe more time and consideration would be in order. Keep us posted.

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

nuthatch333 wrote:I signed the petition, I don't know that much about sheep or scrapie, but I remember the wanton culling of chickens in the Langley area a few years ago. The panic, lack of research, and accomodation of commercial interests, prevailed then over the value of heritage breeds.
It will be hard to breed in resistance if the government decided just to cull everything just to be on the safe side.
It may well be more prudent to cull them, I don't know, but if they test healthy then I think maybe more time and consideration would be in order. Keep us posted.

Yeah it is sorta how I feel too. I am hoping that there is some real testing involved to make sure the cull is appropriate.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This news came up for discussion a month ago on another list. I am not knowledgable about sheep but it is always good policy to make sure you do a little research to determine truths for yourself before reacting.

Sue

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I see on the Rare Breeds Canada Facebook that she is looking for someone to take the last of her flock for the time being. They have all been cleared by CFIA.

There are now less than 100 regi
stered heritage Shropshire breeding ewes in Canada...could you please help conserve rare heritage breed sheep? If you are have barn space, hay and shepherding experience and are interested in hosting/buying/shepherding any Shropshire sheep, please get in touch ASAP for more information.

Montana Jones needs her few remaining sheep at Wholearth to go elsewhere ASAP. They are bred and due to lamb in March 2013. CFIA still has not compensated her for any of her flock, and until they do she cannot care for them properly.

CFIA have insisted all along she was not allowed to move them and forced her to keep them on farm, despite her declaring she no longer had the means to do so. She recently sent an email insisting CFIA look after them as she has no money or hay to do so, since CFIA has not paid her compensation.

They now have CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH: CFIA has approved the remaining Wholearth Shropshire Sheep, they replied : "We have reviewed your request and as your animals with genotypes (ARQ/ARR and ARR/ARR) are NOT suspected of having scrapie, we can allow them to be licensed off your farm. {...} There would be no further restrictions on these sheep after they have been removed from your premises."

Montana would be happy to continue to work with whomever takes the sheep in advising heritage bloodlines etc and take some back next year if and when CFIA compensates her for what they owe her—she is open to working out an agreeable arrangement and just wants the sheep to be safe.

PLEASE SHARE WITH A GOOD SHEPHERD!!

Interested? Email [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is a subject that goes far deeper than "disease". It is about food control. Control food, control people. I have read a lot on the subject. Patric L is an acquaintance of mine, but I do not know his partner, Lorrie. Patric was involved in the first Shropshire destruction, which apparently triggered Montana's plight. When I first started farming, I was interested in the philosophy of rare breeds, but not the politics.

Why do I have to give my address and name when I purchase livestock food?
Why does Alberta mandate that every sheep produced is radio traceable?
Why is it illegal to transport an animal without tagging?

Please do not answer these questions. They are presented as questions that began my research a few years ago. Walter Jeffries of Sugar Mountain Farm is one of my mentors. He has a website that offers a great many insights for food for thought.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I do not believe this is off topic, but rather, indeed, is the topic. Again, I ask that you do not respond to the questions I posed here. Just consider it food for thought. Thank ewe.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think the problem is that Canada does not use the technology properly.

In Australia there is a similar tracking system. But they use it properly as far as I am concerned. There you also have to keep documentation of sprays used, both pesticides and herbicides and the stock movements on you property. You also must keep records of medications used on stock so you are able to prove that withholding periods were abided by.
The tracking system there was used every time stock left or entered your property. This meant even for sporting animals, like ones used at a roping even to a cutting horse competition, they were scanned off our place, scanned on the show grounds, scanned off the show grounds and back onto our place. Each animal had a record of all its movements. Very useful when there was a problem, very traceable. We also found the system very good for getting reliable information on our stock when it was processed. Each carcass could be followed and the quality information was made available to us. Very useful for a successful breeding program.

People grumbled there when it first came out, but if there is nothing to hide, what is wrong with transparency?

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well said coopslave. My understanding is that the Canadian system is to be ramped up to something like that eventually. Herd health and traceability are so important, but there is some loss of privacy as a result.

I am proud to have my stock traced to my farm and have my animal health practices open to public review.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Was watching some of "Farmegeddon" today and they spoke of how the USDA went after and shut down a sheep farm with data that could be called sketchy if you were being charitable. It reminded me of this case (although I know there are differences) and made me look to see if anything new had happened.

It looks like they recovered all of the missing animals, sounds like they were probably destroyed and tested negative (which might be why I hadn't heard much). 4 people are charged.

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I went to the sheep dite but can't see where to sign the petition. The page is mostly dark brown I don't think my old computer is allowing the whole page to be loaded.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:I went to the sheep dite but can't see where to sign the petition. The page is mostly dark brown I don't think my old computer is allowing the whole page to be loaded.

This whole issue is very old and the flock is likely long gone and the info is probably taken down.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

But surprisingly still in the news...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum