Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm so spoiled 4 pics added

+4
Hidden River
appway
Amy
SerJay
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I haven't been around much lately because I have had sick kid after sick kid but thursday everyone seemed to be better and while they went to school I had a look at a horse trailer. Friday I ran around getting trailer insured and then getting it out of the ice. Saturday morning we took a nice long road trip with that new (used) trailer and came home with a new horse Very Happy It was really hard for me to finally decide to really look for a new partner since putting my old mare down late last summer. She was no fine piece of horseflesh but she was a lovely old girl that taught me a lot and although i knew it was the right decision for her it just broke my heart to put her down. Even just thinking of her is making me sad.

I get attached too easily and I had to be very careful before actually choosing a new horse because once an animal is mine I have a hard time letting them go. Well, I finally found a boy who may not be perfect but I think he will be a great addition to our craziness Very Happy He's healthy, super calm, relaxed and there was something about his eyes that just drew me so he came home with us cheers He's was for sale because he'd been a saddle/pack horse in the mountains and then pastured with a bunch of boarding horses and he's an overeater so managing his weight was hard. Since I already have 2 over eaters having another actually will make feed management ok for us. He's only 14.3H which is nice because my old girl and hubbys paint are far too tall for my 5ft! I haven't gotten to ride him yet since my saddle was fit for my big wide belgian x QH mare so need to get a saddle that fits him properly first. My daughter sat up on him bareback today though and he was a trooper and didn't even blink over it but she was thrilled.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The boys getting to know each other in the back field
Here's Smokey! He is the weirdest coloured horse ever. He has stripes on his neck if you have a look, harder to see stripes on his legs, and spots of many colours on his butt yep he's an odd one Very Happy
He has soft gentle eyes and doesn't even bother with the constant click of my camera so that thrills me because I love taking pics. Hubbys paint has been around my clicking camera so so many times and yet he spooks and flinches every darn time Evil or Very Mad
Can't wait to climb onto that oddly coloured back and and feel that lovely trot Very Happy

We got 6inches of fresh snow last night so it covered up all the poo I'm going to have to shovel as soon as it melts and today was so sunny so I spent the day grooming him and getting to know him. Hubby is so happy for me to find such a lovely boy and that just makes me even happier Very Happy I am really looking forward to Spring Break this week my van probably won't move until Friday when Greenhawk has a big sale Hahahaha

Last edited by SerJay on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding pics)

2I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was just going to whine about no pictures Razz

He is very neat looking, he looks like a Grulla with an Appaloosa pattern Very Happy

Lucky You !!! Hope you get lots of time to ride him!

3I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes he's a 7yr old Grulla. Mom was a grade mare (appy cross) and Dad was caught in AB foothills so he's definitely a mutt Very Happy

4I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Real nice looking guy
bet you will have alot of nice trail rides on him and love the appy pattern
Have fun with him and thank you for sharing

5I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

COngrats on your new horse, he looks lovely. I am sure you will be sharing a lot of miles together.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:15 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

more pics
I think He's relaxed and settled in pretty well Very Happy

7I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 pm

He's really beautiful! I love his colouring. I have a soft spot for Appys, and his grulla colouring makes him very unique. Congratulations on the new family member!!

What did you get for a horse trailer?

8I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx Farmchiq I'm pretty excited Very Happy He's an odd choice for me since I'm usually drawn to mares and I really like symmetry but there is NOTHING symmetrical about Smokey haha

I just got a little 2horse trailer so my young daughter and I don't need to ride on the roads and hwy to get to local horse activities Very Happy Now to get out and convince the boys that getting up in my little horse trailer is a good idea Razz

9I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are going to have so much fun with him.

I like the smaller horses soooo much better now. I went from a 17.1h TB event horse to a 14.3h cutter and have never looked back!

10I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The older I get the more I like being closer to the ground!

He's lovely - wonderful colour and build!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

SerJay wrote:Yes he's a 7yr old Grulla. Mom was a grade mare (appy cross) and Dad was caught in AB foothills so he's definitely a mutt Very Happy

I am not a horse person but I like the look of him.
Can you educate me what is a Grulla?
And dad being caught in the AB foothills do you mean
he was a mustang?
Congratulations!!! cheers

12I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I look forward to not having to use my stairs everytime to get up into my saddle Very Happy I got both my daughters pony (easy!) and new guy ( I needed patience) to load and unload my trailer a couple times this afternoon. Hubbys paint won't be as easy and I will probably need hubby to give me a hand with him but 2 of 3 isn't bad for an afternoons work.
Karona I have no idea what the dad being a caught stallion means except that I think it could mean he was just about anything Very Happy My understanding of grulla is that one parent must have the Dun gene and the other a black gene??? Genetics are not my forte Very Happy If you look at him up close he has both cocoa brown, black, and white. Then he has the dark back stripe, neck stripes and lower leg stripes that are indicative of the Dun gene but he also has the bum spots and freckle spots on the skin around his lips, nose, eyes and under his tail that are Appy markings. He really is an odd fella Very Happy

13I'm so spoiled  4 pics added Empty Re: I'm so spoiled 4 pics added Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very happy for you that you got this fellow, and he looks mighty sturdy, he will fill the gap of the lost mare, sigh. This is nice to hear. I hope that you find a saddle t fit nicely and enjoy that new ride!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum