Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Look at all this beautiful garlic.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Look at all this beautiful garlic.  Empty Look at all this beautiful garlic. Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Sushi

Had an ad pop up for this seed catalog on my facebook page. I was impressed with their wide selection of garlic. I think I am going to order some of the Spanish Red garlic myself. Any one else on here ever order from them?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Look at all this beautiful garlic.  Empty Re: Look at all this beautiful garlic. Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:05 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can't order the garlic in Canada from this company, and they only ship before September 15, I copied the text for you.....

Garlic growing has a long tradition throughout the country. All of our garlic, onion, and shallot varieties are untreated and ready to use in the kitchen or plant in the garden.

Garlic is shipped only in the fall-late September or early October, depending on the season. Quantities are limited; order before September 15th for best availability. Sorry, not available to Idaho or Canada.

They have incredible list of garlic that was nice. At first I thought it was WestCoast Seeds, they used to be called Territorial Seeds, many years ago. You need to look Canadian. There are lots of sites that sell garlic, but it is probably hard to get now for surely. Garlic is harvested in mid July and then usually seed companies are sold out by fall. Could be wrong, but bet my bottom dollar it will be difficult to find this time of year.

I only now grow 2 cultivars of garlic, Fish Lake #3 and Yugoslavian. Fish Lake #3 is an excellent keeper with excellent flavour, Yugoslavian is hot with excellent flavour but the keeping properties are not as good as Fish Lake.

This past fall I planted mountains of Fish Lake garlic. I also retained the little bulbils from the flower heads and threw those teeny tiny seeds everywhere, and I mean everywhere, I still have thousands of them in a bag. The little garlic bulbils that come from the flower head gone to seed will produce in the first year a teeny tiny garlic bulb, kind of like the little sweet pickled onions that we all love. I really like to go out and dig a few up for our dinner table, I can pick these little babies all summer long, as they grow everywhere. The big garlic cloves that were planted are the ones that I will pick and dry for us, they make enormous bulbs because I only plant the largest of the cloves, eat the smaller clove. The little teeny tiny bulbils will also be used for garlic greens, as I said, we are forunate, as there will be mountians of garlic greens, growing everywhere, smiling, in secret places, in open places (oh my poor Daughter, I have invaded her farm, smiling that big smile). The teeny tiny garlic bulbils can be dug up and replanted in the fall, and they will make the full sized bulb the next year, but it is a two year process with the teeny tiny garlic bulbils. Hmmmm....rambled on far too long about garlic, you were asking if anyone has ordered through this company.

Can't get garlic from them, they won't ship to Canada, sigh....too bad. Look Canadian though, you may still find a company selling some garlic they have held over, but garlic is usually planted in fall before the strong first freeze, it grows below ground all winter long and then rears its beautiful head, one conditions are right. Think mine will be showing soon, the snow is almost gone. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

3Look at all this beautiful garlic.  Empty Re: Look at all this beautiful garlic. Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow! Thatsa lotta garlic! I wonder if there is a Canadian company with the same selection?

4Look at all this beautiful garlic.  Empty garlic Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am

birish

Try Richters from Ont,they have 20 varieties both hardneck and softneck,they ship Sept/Oct,The best ones for us have been Music and Korean Purple.We also planted 6 kinds of bulbules that were about the size of a dime in the second year

5Look at all this beautiful garlic.  Empty Re: Look at all this beautiful garlic. Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:59 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here it is!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They have 24 types of garlic!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum