Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Abnormal? comb (pic included)

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Abnormal? comb (pic included) Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I noticed this on my white hen a couple days ago. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but her comb used to be very flat. She has no other symptoms at this time and has been doing well other than dry skin on her comb along with this... thing?

Abnormal? comb (pic included) Comb

2Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is normal. It is simply an inverted rose comb. There was a big topic on this a while back when a bird was DQ'ed from a show for this. I cannot remember right now who it was but helped me to notice I too had one in my wyandotte hen I had here.
The hen will be just fine.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Hidden River wrote:That is normal. It is simply an inverted rose comb. There was a big topic on this a while back when a bird was DQ'ed from a show for this. I cannot remember right now who it was but helped me to notice I too had one in my wyandotte hen I had here.
The hen will be just fine.

Thank goodness! Thanks for your reply. Is this a deformity or a genetic trait?

4Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Usually genetic so she should not be bred from but she will make a fine layer of eating eggs. Good picture by the way.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

5Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm

viczoe wrote:Usually genetic so she should not be bred from but she will make a fine layer of eating eggs. Good picture by the way.

Heather

She's one of 3 who haven't laid an egg yet but she's almost as big as my large reds. *Shrug*

Thanks for the information. Can these cause problems later in life (like get infected)?

6Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No should not give her any problems I don't think.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

7Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are deviations to combs, rose combs seem to have been a hot topic some time ago. There are the telescoping combs and the inverted combs. Looks kind of weird. She comb is not yet fully developed and will change a little more. That inverted comb will not bother her, it is just something that happens. As Heather said though, this is a not a good genetic thing and if you are breeding to ever sell chicks, you should not breed from her. If you want to breed and keep chicks yourself, that is a different thing. Nothing wrong with it, other than a disqualification according to the Standard of Perfection guide book. She will be a lovely layer of eggs, and you will love her dearly, so don't worry one little hoot about the comb, that is the least of the worries, smiling. She is pretty, can't see all of her, but some kind of silver laced, perhaps wyandotte I would bet. Not THAT many breeds with rose combs, lovely, let's see what she looks like all over, smiling. We love pictures, pictures are wonderful things and take us to walk beside you in your life. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM. When you get a chance, show us the picture of the little rooster dude too, nice shots, do separate ones if you can, love to look at people's birdies!! Cool

8Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:25 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweeten, everyone has told you all about the comb. As they said it is not a desirable trait in purebred birds.
You have been told not to breed her, but I think you have a mixed barnyard flock, isn't that right? If you want her to have some mixed chicks that is ok. It is just a gene you do not want popping up in pure birds if you are just going to breed some mixed birds to add to your flock or someone elses, this will not be a problem.

9Abnormal? comb (pic included) Empty Re: Abnormal? comb (pic included) Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ah yes, the inverted comb! Great picture. That was me hidden and my BLRW roo who was DQ from our local show. I had never even seen an inverted comb before that, it was a great learning experience for us all, LOL.

XOX Monika

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum