Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff

+5
smokyriver
Piet
rosewood
Hidden River
CynthiaM
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:09 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy, need to rant. This has happened so many times, and I should know better, but I just need to rant. Lost a very lengthy post I was typing again, it is so disconcerting. When I KNOW that I am doing a post that will be long, I always type it in word and then copy that text into a message window. Many times I don't though, I don't realize how long my post is getting until I actually think about it. My fingers fly over the keyboard and I just am in too much of a hurry to save the words in a document. I should know better. There have been many times when I have made a post and I do something, I am actually not even sure what it is, but I think it is pushing the backspace key two times or something to correct a spelling mistake and that action takes me to another window. Think it would be back to the window where the topic I am replying to is. I push the arrow button to take me forward to where the window was that I was typing in my response and that window is now blank. Nothing in the message box, nodda, not a thing. All that typing, and when I type for 10 or 15 minutes, you can bet your bottom dollar (just like I am doing now, hope I don't lose this, hold on, think I will do control A then control C (for all and copy) so at least some of my words are copied into the clipboard (space where "stuff" gets put for later use when you paste that stuff into something) that it is going to be something that is going to be long, and usually very convaluted. This has happened so many times, and it frustrates me so many times, that it makes me go and do something else, like reading on the internet.

I have never encountered this before on a forum, and I am so pissed off right now, that I have to go and do something else. I am active on a good number of forums and this is the only program that "loses" messages that I am posting....what is wrong? It was a reply to TripleJ and what to charge or how to sell chicks when they are sex linked. Blah. I wonder what it is, and Jayme, I wonder if you can talk to the service provider of this forum service, if there is something that users can do to not have their posts lost in cyberspace. I know I am not the only one that has typed a post and then lost it for one reason or another, it is sickening and saddening at the same time. As those thoughts, once processed through the fingers, to the keyboard, to go on the screen, will never be recapped the same as the original thoughts were. Oh dear, sounding a little bitchy this morning. Well. I am, so much thought and time are lost, and I had some really good comments that would be so helpful, but they are lost somewhere, out in space somewhere, and I know I won't have the guts nor gumption to type exactly what I was before, sighing that big sigh. Oh well, I'll probably be off this high horse tomorrow morning and retype my thoughts on selling chicks, be they gendered or not. To all, have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

I know that I have read posts where others have spoken about losing their typing, to some, typing even a small message is a huge deal because of slow typing. There MUST be something that can be changed in the forum setup or something....anything?.....it is so disconcerting!!

2Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:14 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry Cynthia, I will see what I can come up with. I have yet to lose a post I have typed out, not sure what combination you do to lose them but will see if the support can help me figure it out?
IT is a super busy time for me right now so can't promise it will be right away.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:31 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jayme, thank you, there is no hurry, I just need to be more careful from now on, just hurts to lose so much typing, you know how much I can put out in a few minutes Shocked . Being careful is something I am good at, just get so caught up in fast typing that I forget to save down work I do, this was a hard lesson the last time. I wonder if other people could chime and and speak of what they do, if they have ever figured it out, to lose the text they are typing in the message box. I know I have read many posts about people losing their post, many times, not just me. But I think the longer that post is, the more likely it is to have an ability to be lost, sigh....when you have a minute, check it out. I think it is like pushing the backspace key two times (I correct all my typing errors, which are not many, and do it so fast when I do, that I don't even really know what my fingers are doing, smiling that big smile). I know you will look into it, one fine day, and I thank you ahead of time for that attention, that is nice to know that we are looked after.

So.....anyone reading this and has lost a post reply, you will know what I am speaking of.

Has anyone figured out what key combinations cause the typing to go to never never land, never to return (good word that "never"). Let's try to help and figure out how to help ourselves by helping others Cool . Make your comments on what you think has happened when you lose a post that you are making, come on....I know you are out there, come out of that lost post closet!! Smile Beautiful days to us all, CynthiaM.

4Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I manage to lose a post occasionally. I'm not sure just what I do, but ever once in awhile I have a bunch of typing, go to do something and the typing disappears. This is not confined to this forum. Sometimes I find over writer turned on and when I correct something the good part is typed over. I find on this forum that I cannot cut, copy and paste like I can in another. I'm not a great speller and wish that this forum had a spell checker.

5Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi CynthiaM,
You can also open a new text document on your desktop and write the whole story and once it is done, save it. Copy and paste into the forum and hit send. Then if it gets lost from the forum, you still have it on your computer.
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

6Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I also have this happen regularly but not only on this site. I have it happen on alot of different sites I go on and it is either when I go to correct something or if I go to capitalize something using my right hand. Not sure if it is a combo of keys hit or what, but I know how frustrating it can me!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

7Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, it’s definitely not just this forum. I’ve sent posts off into limbo land on many other sites too. It is super annoying. I've no idea why it happens either, sorry. I do like Piet’s suggestion of using a program like Word where you can save your writings, then copy and paste. I’ve actually done that with long winded emails that took me a few days to get down.

8Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, Piet, certainly I am so familiar with word, that it is second nature to me (comes from years working as a research word processor in Vancouver). When I KNOW that I am going to be heading into a long story, that is done in a word document. Sometimes when I get going on responding to a post, I begin and when I have typed perhaps, let's say, two paragraphs, then realize that this is going to be longer than anticipated, I copy the text I have typed, paste into a word document and finish it there. Always, I do this copy and paste into word documents, or just begin in word and finish in word and then paste into the message window. Like now, I should be doing this in a word document, as I could lose this if I do a couple of backspaces Shocked , but then am a little on that lazy side. So right now, I am doing control A, Control C and then at least the few words I have typed here now are in the buffer in "copy", hold on doin' the keyboard commands -- "control A, Control C" saved this stuff I have typed....then I could just push control C if I happen to lose what I have typed. I can do this every few seconds, then knowing for surely that I have not lost the text I am writing (hold on, Makes a whole lotta sense, right, smiling that big smile. I don't even really know why I am going into this, but just feel compelled, control A, control C, saved this text in the buffer, smiling again. Sorry, just going off on a little weirdness here Shocked . To make every response to a post I make in a word document would be very time consuming, one still has to save it down in word, which takes a little time. Gads, gotta go, think this is getting out of control here, smiling that huge smile, sorry friends for my things I say that sometimes probably do not make a whole lotta sense. It's those puppies, getting me out of my normally "in control" self, smiling again. Have a most wonderful night, CynthiaM.

9Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia
It happens some times with me also
if I get typing to fast with the 3 fingers I type with LOL I will hit something on the left side of the key board (one of the keys and everthing I have typed is gone
If it does happen I have right clicked on the space I am writing and click undo and it comes back some of the times

10Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice to know I am not the only one! I am a slow typist and this is just a tiny netbook. Frustrating!

11Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Empty Re: Awe, this is too bad, computer stuff Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:48 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Once in a while, I hit something and delete what I've written. It's frustrating, because sometimes the posts take me forever to make, especially if there is pictures involved.

And then there's the times when I type something up, leave the computer for a minute before I post and come back to the computer shut off by my husband!!!! Mad

Oh, and sometimes if you hit the last page button, it will take you back to where you were typing, and the stuff will be there still (unless your husband has shut off the computer!)

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum