Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

do you / should you wash eggs

+5
uno
CynthiaM
Hidden River
rosewood
Rasilon
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1do you / should you wash eggs Empty do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi, Should you wash eggs before eatting or incubating? What would you use?
Thanks Geri

2do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We sell eggs at the local farmers' markets under a letter of approval from the local health unit. We are required to wash the eggs with potable water. No bleaches or soaps, but just straight water. Since eggs shells are porous the water should be warmer than the eggs. I avoid washing hatching eggs as I like to keep the bloom intact. I don't use dirty eggs for hatching although occasionally will clean a small spot on the egg.

3do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do wash my eggs, I use a dishwashing liquid on my eating eggs, just a quick dip, wipe, rinse. Do not soak them in the water. For really dirty eggs I generally feed them back to the dogs/chickens.
For incubating I just rinse with warm water if need be. Generally I keep deeply bedded nests to prevent dirty eggs, but we all know they do happen, so when they do I just wash them off. If too dirty I do not use them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always wash my eating eggs with a dribble of luke warm water coming from the tap, warmer than the eggs and set them in a strainer to dry and then on a towel to finish drying once they have airdried. Incubation eggs I do not wash. If there is a little dirt I will wipe that gently off with a damp cloth, but very lightly. Really dirty eggs. Don't use them in the incubator. I think the bloom is an important part of the egg covering that keeps the embryos inside safe from outside bacteria getting in. Although I hear of many people that sanitize the eggs before they go in the incubator. Who knows. I think it is just a personal preference. I too have birds that rarely give a dirty egg, the nest boxes are like a shining star to them, and rarely is there ever anything bad in their nestbox, smiling. Think they know to poop first, then go into the box. Eggs and poop all come out the same spot, surely they must know to poop first!! Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wash my eggs in HOT water. Put eggs in bucket of HOT water, watch for rising bubbles as this alerts me to cracks in the shell. Wipe down with a little rag designated for this purpose, then set eggs in wire basket to air dry. Really gross eggs get tossed. With my eyes not working as well as they used to, it is helpful to see that air bubbles rising from a cracked shell, since sometimes I don't notice the cracks like I used to!

For hatching I will wipe a dirty spot. But try very hard to only set clean eggs, you don't want muck in your bator.

6do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

I don't really wash them for us. I'll wipe them clean from any shavings, or spot wash any yucky spots but our nests are fairly clean.
I've wiped poop of hatching eggs but that's it.
I think the bloom is more beneficial, but I'm no expert.

7do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:27 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

I will wash eating eggs with Sever Oaks Egg washing compound mixed with water. I do not wash hatching eggs.

8do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I did an experiment last year with my EE eggs I hatched – half the eggs were washed in warm water and dipped in a hot water/bleach solution. The other half were left all natural, bloom intact; (all were clean though, no poop or crud of any kind). I had an equal number of chicks hatch from both batches, so no real, notable difference.

That said I prefer to wash and sanitize eggs before incubating. The warm, moist environment inside an incubator is the perfect breeding ground for all kinds of nasties that I’d rather NOT be incubating along with my eggs, if you know what I mean. silent

9do you / should you wash eggs Empty Re: do you / should you wash eggs Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:39 pm

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree it also help to keep your incubator a bit cleaner lol!
Flicker Chick wrote:I did an experiment last year with my EE eggs I hatched – half the eggs were washed in warm water and dipped in a hot water/bleach solution. The other half were left all natural, bloom intact; (all were clean though, no poop or crud of any kind). I had an equal number of chicks hatch from both batches, so no real, notable difference.

That said I prefer to wash and sanitize eggs before incubating. The warm, moist environment inside an incubator is the perfect breeding ground for all kinds of nasties that I’d rather NOT be incubating along with my eggs, if you know what I mean. silent

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum