Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

hatch rate calculations

+2
Blue Hill Farm
fuzzylittlefriend
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hatch rate calculations Empty hatch rate calculations Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:32 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How do people calculate their hatch rates?

Percentage of eggs hatching from what originally started? Or percentage of eggs hatching that make it to lockdown?

Just curious Smile

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

2hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fuzzy, I do both using these formulas:

Fertility (%) = (Fertile eggs/eggs set) x 100%
Hatchability (%) = (Good chicks hatched/fertile eggs) x 100%
Total eggs hatched (%) = (Good chicks hatched/eggs set) x 100%

and the chart from page 11 of this pdf:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 am

gubi

And if you are a seller of hatching eggs they always have 99% hatchrate! Even if they only hached 8 eggs? Rolling Eyes

4hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:12 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Smiling, I don't even both with hatchability percentages. I just hatch. sometimes I have a good hatch, like 85% of the eggs set (yep, total number), sometimes I get anywhere from 40 to 85%. Never ever once have had a hatch that was above 85%, and I certainly would never expect it. I hear of people that say they get 98% hatchrate, and I think good on them, something must be near perfect with what they are doing. Not me. Nothing near perfect here. Just hatch a whack of chicks each year and feel pretty good if I have a 50% hatch out of chicks. It really doesn't matter what my hatchability rate number is, I just hatch, don't care about statistics much.

That pdf file that FlickerChick put in here is a good one and has some very valuable advice about hatching. I read it before somewhere and have it already bookmarked, but was nice to re-read. I like the part where it said that if a chick is over 1 day late in hatching, to discard, it is a weak chick, that is why the non-emergence from the confines of its shell, and not to help it out. I am that way. Tough love. Gotta get out within 2 days or....don't want any weakness in the critters around here, and that starts during the birthing process. Blah, off topic, apology, ramblin'. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:12 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like the way Flicker puts it.
When I say % hatchability I always do eggs hatched/fertile eggsX100%
You can't include the non fertiles in your hatchability percentage because they were never destined to hatch. But you also can't wait till day 18 (lockdown) do to your infertiles because some that have started and died along the way may be hard to tell from infertiles at that point. I always do 7 days candling for infertiles, if any have started and stopped before 7 days they are still included in my hatchability %.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I look in bator. If most of the eggs I put in produced chicks = good hatch rate.

If not = bad hatch rate.

It's very technical.

7hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ Haha, that works too. Chicken math is the only kind of math I like. Wink

Culling unthrifty/or slow to hatch chicks is probably a good idea when thinking about the long term health of your flock, but I do have trouble following through with it. I especially hate watching chicks struggling to hatch, wondering if it’s something I did or didn’t do. Tough love is HARD. Neutral

8hatch rate calculations Empty Re: hatch rate calculations Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thank you,

That all makes sense. I kinda like cynthia and uno's approach tongue

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum