Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ewwww Ewww Ewww and Ewwwwwwww! Worms/Parasites in eggs?

+5
CynthiaM
'lilfarm
DCChick
Arcticsun
Giddyup
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Giddyup

Giddyup

Our saga seems to continue. This one is new to me!! We've been patiently waiting for Squeaky to start laying. Tonight while fluffing the coop I noticed a broken egg - soft shelled. No surprise, she has not been on a bonafide "chicken" diet living with the duckies.
So I see something "different" and scoop and take it outside for a better look under my headlamp. Shavings? No. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW It seemed to be a worm/parasite...big one. Thick, chunky looking, not segmenty, and I swear it could have broken the shell because it's ugly "head" was poking outside the softshell before it croaked. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Scooped up and dumped well outside the coop. (still choking with yuckiness here)
Found another softshelled egg, took it over and opened it and no guckies, nice normal egg. I don't, however, want to eat an egg ever again. Ever.
So, first thing we could do is the natural worm cayenne and garlic but can't do that with ducks around (owchie eyeballs). I'll head to Buckerfields for wormer tomorrow. I'm not sure they sell nuclear worm bombs but I think that's what I need!
as to the softshell I have oyster shell I can put down tomorrow and they were just switched to duck and goose which is a much higher protein diet than what she was on so hopefully that will help.
But
WT#@ was that?? I searched online and only came up with images of roundworm, tapework or hookworm and I assure you this looked nothing like that.
I'm going to have nightmares. (gack....uck...)

Edited to add: She's the picture of health, bug free, no runny bum, great weight, shiny, plucky happy girl.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

GAAAAAK!!!!!
No No No

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think just for today I will have Cornflakes for breakfast No

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

I would bet money that what you saw was a piece of tissue from the reproductive tract that ended up in the egg as the egg was being "built" and moving along the ova duct. Or a piece of dud egg that got incorporated with the next egg. Those would be my guesses especially if she's laying softies.

If you don't already do this, you might want to consider giving oyster shells to harden up those eggs. Otherwise you're little hennie has to depend on pulling the calcium from her bones to make shells if there isn't sufficient in her diet. She could run into big problems if she keeps laying softies.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmmm....can you get a picture of it. That sounds awful big to be a worm, from what I understand any worm a chicken can get. I am wondering if it may be part of the intestine, as mentioned. But you said a head, this worm had a head? Eeeeks!!!!! Worms don't have a head, or do they? Wondering about that and would surely love to hear others' responses. Sounds just awful anyways. I also am wondering if it may have been laid (the egg) and a worm found it to eat it up, smiling. Maybe it didn't come from within the egg, but was in the coop on the floor or something. Answers need to come, cause that sure would turn me off too. Can you find that worm, did you keep it, can you get a picture of it? Pictures are worth a thousand words, and that is so very true. Have a great day Very Happy , CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If it is a worm it doesn't mean it came from the egg. Did you actually see it emerging from the egg all Alien-like or was it beside the egg? Was the egg broken and the worm just smeared with the contents? It may have come from anywhere.

Sue

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked GROSS!!!

We watched both the movies Alien/Aliens last night, (go Ripley!) so I'm getting pretty good visuals here without the pics. Laughing

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am thinking that I am in the mood for spagetti for supper tonight. Yum

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Dan Smith wrote:I am thinking that I am in the mood for spagetti for supper tonight. Yum
I had spagetti last night, so happy it was last night. ROFL

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

Giddyup

Giddyup

LOL, sorry guys I know it's quite the visual.

Lilfarm I hope you're right. My initial thought was that it looked like intestine, (because I've had the pleasure of seeing that lately) but with the "end" poking out...hmmmm.

Oyster shell was brought down asap this morning. Just got lax with duckie routine, I didn't put them on layer pellets until a few weeks before breeding/laying season.

Sue it really was "in" the contents and through the shell.

Hopefully it was a processing error.

I'll pick up wormer anyway to be safe.

Thanks for making me laugh, a little, but I'm still off egg for awhile.

It was dark and there was no way I was trucking that alien anywhere near my house or other animals so no pic...but next time...if there is one...I ...will....try

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Still not thinking it is a worm, that sounds something that looks more like a snake to me, have those great days and night, CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Still not thinking it is a worm, that sounds something that looks more like a snake to me, have those great days and night, CynthiaM.

Cynthia, are you trying to make things worse here?

Hmmm, has anyone heard of a Cockatrice?

Born from an egg, laid by a cock, incubated by a toad or snake. It looks like a two legged dragon with the head of a rooster.

THAT'S what you have! A COCKATRICE!

Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum