Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eggs with no shells?

+3
nuthatch333
ipf
dooversue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Eggs with no shells? Empty Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:26 am

dooversue

I have had 2 eggs laid in the last couple days with NO shell. - none, not a soft one or a partial one - literally the white & yolk inside the 'skin/membrane' that should be lining the shell?!?!
The hens are on a grain based layer mix with oyster shell mixed in, plus some free choice & have the granite grit as well... What am I (they) missing?
Thanks for any/all help !

2Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:51 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sometimes that just happens. If it's the same hen, it may be just a temporary glitch, or she may have shell gland issues - only time will tell you that. If she's a young bird just laying her first eggs, it may just take a while to settle down.
I'm assuming your other eggs are normal?

3Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:34 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had a hen last year that did that. I never did find out which hen it was, but it lasted for a couple of months and then stopped. My main concern was that when I found the skins around the coop, I knew the chickens were eating the egg contents. I was concerned about getting an egg eating problem. It never happened though.

4Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What breed of chicken is it doover?

6Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 pm

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had that problem last year what a friend and me did was up the calcium in the diet try adding oyster shell to the diet Very Happy

7Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I get this occassionally but it always seems to be temporary. Never had a long term problem with it.

8Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:11 am

dooversue

Thanks guys, so far just the two eggs ... I have 2 buff Orps, 5 white chanties & 2 partridge chanties in that pen. The orps have been laying consistently, and the shell-less eggs are 'pullet' sized so thinking it may be one of the white chanties, two of them are late babies from last year so - maybe first eggs? Hoping that's all it is, all the other eggs are normal so will keep fingers crossed!hopefully nothing serious...

9Eggs with no shells? Empty Re: Eggs with no shells? Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:00 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

The two times I've had soft shell or no shell issues was when I had older Isa Browns that I did not realize got layer fatigue and started laying shell-less eggs after two years (hence the reason I was curious as to what breeds you had). And the other time was with young pullets starting to lay. Hopefully it is the latter for you and just temporary and not genetic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum