Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Suggestions on how to halt/lessen the Call of the Wild?

+2
silkiebantam
Blue Hill Farm
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Or in this case, the crowing of the cockerels living in our basement.

The two boys began singing around 4am this morning and didn’t desist until well after 8am. Suspect To say Mr. Light Sleeper hubby is not a happy camper is an understatement…

Help

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Take some dental floss. Tie it from their beaks to their left toe so that their head is slightly looking down. If they can't raise their heads, they can't crow, right?

LOL! lol! Ok! I'm joking! Don't do that!

I don't really know how to stop them from crowing. Can you completely shut any light out of their enclosures? Maybe if they were in black out it would help.

My hubby would hate that too. The roosters crowing outside in their coops drive him nuts. I can't imagine one in the house.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I gave two little boys locally a cochin rooster each. The boys are brothers and the coop is right beside the house and the parents had bought and kept layers for years. The parents were FURIOUS with me because they didn't realize roosters can crow all day and all night. I've NEVER found a way of keeping them quiet. Neither did they.

Eventually a dog got one rooster and eventually the second one died too. Now there is a ban on roosters in that family.

Good luck!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

when it is dark mine do not crow but let the light in and it all starts

http://www.popscoops.com

I made a really nice soup with one of my roosters last night - barley, carrots, celery, cabbage... and nary a sound coming out of that pot!

sosweetjojo

sosweetjojo

I have a pet rooster living in my house and yes the crowing can feel like daggers going through your ears Evil or Very Mad I have found that a small cat carrier works well for night time cause in the morning he cant crow cause he cant streach his neck to do it but as soon as i let him out he wakes everyone up... Shocked

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

sosweetjojo wrote:I have a pet rooster living in my house and yes the crowing can feel like daggers going through your ears Evil or Very Mad I have found that a small cat carrier works well for night time cause in the morning he cant crow cause he cant streach his neck to do it but as soon as i let him out he wakes everyone up... Shocked

I just had four roosters in our basement for two nights and in the complete black of dark they started crowing. What makes the most sense to me is what sosweet said, which is to have them in a position where they can't stretch their necks but are still comfortable, although, long term they may develop poopy bottoms if they are not able to eliminate in a proper position.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

LoL silkie. Now where did I put my roll of duct tape… Wink

The boys have already proved that darkness has no bearing on their internal clocks and rooster soup is out as well as a ban. I need Caesar to make beautiful BR babies this spring and he needs a buddy for company until that day arrives.

The ‘can’t stretch the neck can’t crow thing' makes the most sense to me as well. I’m going to try personal pet carrier bedrooms tonight and see how it goes…and hopefully the weather's warmed up enough by tomorrow evening that they can return to the coop to crow their little hearts out. I love you

Thanks all! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum