Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Responding to the comment regarding Rochester Hatchery

+11
turkeylurkey
abpride
toybarons
karona
silkiebantam
Arcticsun
Fowler
ipf
heda gobbler
Hidden River
ckeshwani@rochesterhatche
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ckeshwani@rochesterhatche

New Here

It is completely untrue that Rochester Hatchery would try and sell a different bronze turkey without fully notifying the customers at the time of booking. If you read their latest catalogue you will see that the Bronze Turkey flock that has been so closely guarded by Rochester Hatchery for 3 decades is no longer as of this year. It is a tragic event in the lives of the hatchery owners and they are now offering the Orlopp as the only Bronze alternative. I can guarantee no one was sold the Orlopp from Rochester Hatchery last year.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you for joining and filling us all in on this.
It is so sad you lost your Bronze line, we have had several pet turkeys, Still have one hen, from your lines and we greatly enjoyed them.

I have had no experience with the Orlopp Bronze so cannot comment on them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you for that clarification! Good to have a direct response!
Very sad to have lost your Bronze line.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi, Rochester hatchery!

I was wondering if you've considered trying to get your website up to date? The catalogue there is the 2009 one. It would save you money if people could find the info they need without having to get a hard copy of the catalogue, and would also conserve paper. It would also make it easier for your customers to decide what they wanted, and would increase efficiency all around.

We've very happily bought birds from you for years; I still have an 8-year-old bantam cochin from Rochester who hatches out babies for me every spring. I for one would very much appreciate an upgrade in your on-line information.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Excellent to have that cleared up.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

it really is a loss. The Rochester line bronze were a great bird.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm so sad to hear that!

We had some of your bronze the year before last, and I loved them.

Last year we were unable to get any, and I was looking forward to getting some this spring.

I'm very sorry to hear that line is gone. What a loss.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just a thought but one entry mentioned they had a hen
well would anyone else have any of this line that could
help revive it. Maybe more people on this forum could
pitch in and see when could be recooped.

There will be some out there somewhere, start running private ad's .It's to bad that once again money seems to have taken over for reason ? But having a member of a hatchery on line would be a good thing , I'm sure that there are a lot of questions that will be asked

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice to see a hatchery join the group Smile
I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of your line of Bronze turkeys.

I was also wondering if maybe people who still owe your turkeys might somehow help you out in replemishing them? I think that would be really nice.

abpride

I have a couple of hens that came from there.
They are 3 years old and doing great.
I dont have a Tom from them,so unless someone takes my hens that has a Tom.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

abpride wrote:I have a couple of hens that came from there.

I know LaChicken was looking for a couple hens for her Show champion Chris, he was from Rochester I think...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

turkeylurkey

I have a few of the original Rochester Broad Breasted Bronze line. I think a tom and at least 3 or 4 hens. The tom is very likely too clumsy to successfully mate a hen. But if somebody knows how to do AI, they are welcome to come over and give it a try.

It doesn't have to be a "lost strain". Just needs a dedicated breeder to take up the cause.

http://www.guppy.ca

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is nice to hear from Rochester. I have bought their Bronze Turkeys more than once in the past. They were so friendly and tasted so good and yes they grew a little slower than those Nicolas Whites which I had also tried but still worth the time. If I may I would like to ask Rochester a question. About 12 or 13 years ago when I first started buying from Rochester we were able to buy geese ( Africans< Chineese, Sabastapool Toulose, etc), ducks, and a whole ton of rare and exotic chickens including Mottled Houdans and one I ordered often the Light Brahma and then around the time of the Avian Flue scare it seemed to have gotten reduced to only about four heritage standard breeds and about the sane for bantams as well as the production birds. Is this because of government changes in the regulations as what you could bring in or what? I also noticed that you went from Light Brahma to dark and buff. My favorite was the light , is there any chance that you may possibly be getting light again? Thank you for your information. Dan

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

To add to Dan's question. About that time we ordered a fairly large quanity of Gold Laced Wyandottes that they were offerring. Paid for them up front. We suddenly got notice that they were sold out and our money was refunded. It would be great if they offerred this breed again, because it is a lot closer to drive to Clearwater or Kamloops than to drive to Oroville, Washington prossibly to pick up chicks that come probably from the States. It took us two or three years to get our GLWs.

turkeylurkey

You should direct your question to Rochester for a first hand answer. The e-mail address from their catalogue is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I entered the poultry raising scene about 7 years ago and I think the catalogue I saw from the previous year did have quite a more extensive variety of waterfowl and heritage breeds. A lot of the Canadian sources gave up when there was an avian flu scare near the turn of the century.

I've been able to get some of the rarer chickens and waterfowl from US Hatchery sources. The US hatchery has to be able to supply Health Papers and its necessary to pick up the shipment on the US side (US Post Office).

http://www.guppy.ca

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In my opinion, there is alot of business these local hatcheries are missing out on because there isn't any of these breeds here!

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I apologize for hijacking this thread but the reason that I asked Rochester on the forum is because there are many of us who have these same questions.

la-chicken

Hidden River wrote:

I know LaChicken was looking for a couple hens for her Show champion Chris, he was from Rochester I think...

Yes i am and Yes he (Chris) was.

abpride

Not sure how many I have,but when it warms up a bit I will go hunting and see.
Where are you at?

la-chicken wrote:
Hidden River wrote:

Yes i am and Yes he (Chris) was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum