Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery

+4
Dan Smith
Piet
CynthiaM
DLC
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 am

DLC

A salmonela outbreak in Ohio has been traced back to children and adults playing with there chicks and ducklings from a hatchery. Mt Healthy I think and it spread to 8 countys so far. It hasent affected Meyer hatchery. Mt. Healthy says there birds should not be treated like pets but farm stock. I know when my children were small I never considered they would get sick from playing with the chicks. I thought it was more likely the chicks would accidently get injured or hurt. Scary stuff. I realize all chickens have salmonela but this is a particularly virulent strain that has sent numerous people to the hospital.

Last edited by DLC on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

2Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:50 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it is because so much of the human race now has a low immune system, compared to many years ago. Blame it on what you will, but pretty sure that is why there is so much illness in the world today, people with low immune systems, stressed out human beings. Get back, get back, get back to the woods. Have a most wonderful and great day, health, happiness and love, CynthiaM.

3Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:56 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it is because so much of the human race now has a low immune system, compared to many years ago. Blame it on what you will, but pretty sure that is why there is so much illness in the world today, people with low immune systems, stressed out human beings. Get back, get back, get back to the woods. Have a most wonderful and great day, health, happiness and love, CynthiaM.

I also believe that the over civilized human being is not helping itself with all the super health and cleanliness stuff. We need to eat more dirt every now and again and eat stuff from the fridge past its due date to keep challenging the body a bit for unexpected gut intruders!! My body is always trained and ready for an unexpected old crust of pizza or old sandwich meat that still smells fine, expired milk is another thing.. pale But see the German will drink goat piss to train for beer drinking contests also, and they know how to drink beer.. oops going off topic.

Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

4Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:35 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Remind me not to kiss a German.

5Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Laughing

6Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:54 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hahahaha Piet and Dan I nearly choked on my coffee hahaha

I do agree that we live in a far too clean world and our health is terrible. I've been watching the Jamie Oliver food revolution show and wow 17yr old Americans honestly think cheese comes from macaroni and butter comes from corn. It's pretty sad. I get so annoyed by the weekly sometimes more reminders from my daughters kindergarten teacher about not sending junk food for lunches. It's awful that a teacher has to constantly remind parents about what is healthy eating! I nearly lost my mind last summer when helping my neighbour out by looking after her kids and I couldn't figure out why they'd prefer to go hungry than eat my lunches but they hated everything. I told her she'd have to send lunches with them. My kids sat waiting for their ham and cheese sandwiches on multigrain bread while the neighbour kids yanked out 4 "yogurt" granola bars, half a dozen store bought choc chip cookies, some sort of colored sugar drink in a tin foil baggy container, 2 tubes of sugar yogurt and the best thing the boy had a choc (yes chocolate) sandwich on cheap white fluff bread. The girl had a caramel sandwich on white bread!!! Their mother had poured ice cream topping on a slice of wonder bread and called it lunch!!! No wonder they wouldn't eat my lunches!!! I was absolutely horrified and my hubby thought I was exaggerating but nope she sent the same thing everyday and he when he finally saw it he was just as horrified. With diets like that not really a mystery why kids get sick in my opinion

7Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:01 pm

SerJay now that has me shaking my head in disbelief! Wow, it must have been awful for you to see that. So hard to educate people, and harder to watch them ruin their kids.

I'm far from a healthy eater, really, but even I see the horror of what you describe!

Piet - we should go out for a beer sometime. You sound like we might be related. LOL

Sorry to go so far off-topic. In regard to the original post, I think it's really a terrible sign of the times both in terms of our health as a population, and the need to warn everyone not to subject themselves to the possibility of germy chicks, but also sad that that company is only protecting itself from what is the very real risk of getting their assets sued right out from under them.

We become more unhealthy as we become more litigous (sp?). There are a lot of things I love about living at this time in history, but so much that I shun and avoid.

8Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dirt, dirt, oh yes, dark brown dirt. Sure know that I have eaten lots of that in my lifetime. Just some trivia. Somewhere, way back in the cobwebs of my mind, I was reading somewhere that getting the hands dirty, full of dirty dirt is really good for ya. There is a chemical reaction that takes place when dirt gets on the hands and makes them dirty (heard enough of the word dirt yet, wait there is more, smiling). This chemical reaction is good for you, it raises those serotonin levels. Most of my life in the "outside" months, my hands are dirty. They get so dirty that I usually don't bother to wash them. Unless it is bad dirt, and there is bad dirt, depending upon what you call bad dirt. Chicken poopy stuff is bad dirt. But when I am on the ground, on my knees on the ground, and my hands are full of earthy dirt, I am in my glory, and honestly, why bother to wash them, they are just going to get dirty again. I sometimes will even eat a sandwich with my hands that are still full of the dirty dirt. Yes, I have probably eaten my body weight of dirt many times over my lifetime of getting down and dirty with the dirt, smiling again. Beautiful days to us all, CynthiaM (get dirty with the dirt)

9Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:40 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have always said, if my children eat a little dirt, it will strengthen their immune system. I just am sure to feed them lots of cinnamon to be sure they don't get worms from the dirt they eat. Not positive if it actually works for humans, but I know cinnamon works for deworming horses!! My husband just shakes his head at me when I can sit in the sandbox with my coming 2 year old and watch him eat sand. I look at my children and see how often they have been to the doctor for illness in the last 5 years and think I can't be doing too much wrong. The gov't asked for proof that my children have lived in my home with my husband and I as an audit on my child tax program and one of the stipulations was I had to have a letter from my doctor stating that my children have been in their care since 2009. The doctor could honestly only report seeing my little one 6 weeks after birth, and not since, and my daughter once for a medical before she had a dental proceedure done. My kids hardly ever get sick, so a little dirt does NOT hurt people. Our society has become a antibacterial society which seems to become ill much more, and in most cases worse than what those of us who have eaten a little dirt in our lives!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

10Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:39 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet wrote:

But see the German will drink goat piss to train for beer drinking contests also,

Over here, we call it Heineken.

11Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Empty Re: Salmonela outbreak from Hatchery Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm

DLC

Now Fowler thats funny.Thats my kind of humour.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum