Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatchery loses turkey line

+7
Grandma Art
pops coops
jocelyn
Fowler
rosewood
Blue Hill Farm
KathyS
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Hatchery loses turkey line Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today the new 2012 Rochester hatchery catalogue arrived in the mail. You might remember the outbreak they experienced in 2010 of a type of salmonella (SE)which was linked to the breeding farms that supply eggs to the hatchery. It resulted in huge numbers of breeding stock being destroyed and a major shortage of hatching eggs.
Well, I didn't realize this before but in the new catalogue it states that the same facility also housed their own line of Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys, "spelling the end of a line going back several decades."
I found this so sad. Sad I think it is also a good reminder to all breeders of the importance of sharing your good breeding stock. If you have worked years to breed up some excellent lines, share them. Keeping all your eggs in one basket is risky business!
Turkey

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is sad. No

Kathy, I agree 100% about sharing good breeding stock with others. Banking genes by sharing only makes sense, as well as securing your lines future if anything should ever happen. Good reminder! cyclops

3Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

All kinds of good poultry was lost due to the avian flu in the Lower Mainland 7 or 8 years ago when CFIA decided to do a mass cull. In a small way we contributed to the loss as we had a small flock of Gold Laced Wyandottes that we disposed of the winter before because they were not laying. If we had known how hard it would be to replace that flock we might have made different decisions. There were lines being developed that disappeared as a result of that cull. People who had worked years folded up their tent and called it a day.

4Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Share, share, share.

For years I've been the backup source fo a guy who keeps showbirds. He knows I don't show so he'll let me have birds for a good price and it gives him a gene bank in case something happened.

5Hatchery loses turkey line Empty back up line Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 pm

jocelyn

Fowler, that's a great idea.

6Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:31 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sharing is what some of us are already doing, it is a great way to keep lines from being lost.

http://www.popscoops.com

7Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I kept some of my hens I got from there last year.... the girls are going to go into my Bronze breeding pen....!! My main Tom will be a Ridley... this should make for some killer turkeys !!!! Very Happy

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

8Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm

la-chicken

My plan was to get a few BBB from Rochesters and hope for a hen this year to go with my Tom ( Chris)- who will be a yr. in May.

I do have Narragensett Hens and Toms but I was hoping to continue a Bronze line.

What is the next better option?

9Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:17 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

la chicken maybe Grandma Art would be willing to part with a bronze girl for Chris?

10Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:19 pm

la-chicken

Hey, Grandma Art! What do you think about that?

11Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:30 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have had the bronze line for many years, hatched around 75 last year, sold off most of my flock but have 2 toms and 6 hen left. I will bring some to Red Deer this year

http://www.popscoops.com

12Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I should have a spare for Chris !!! You saw the hens I have, lol... but just remember... Chris might not be able to do his job.... Just keep that in mind... lol...... Just come on out when you decide you want a girl friend for him... You know where I live.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

13Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm

la-chicken

Pops: Keep me posted when you are coming to Red Deer!

Grandma Art: I will come down sometime and get a girlfriend. It will be totally up to Chris..lets just hope for the best. I will let you know...Thinking end of Feburary?

14Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:53 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yay! Maybe the line is not lost yet!
Hmmm...Rochester may be interested in some poults to start their line back up...perhaps an opportunity awaits for those of you who have banked their genetics for them?? Question Cool

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

15Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:35 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Flicker Chick wrote:That is sad. No

Kathy, I agree 100% about sharing good breeding stock with others. Banking genes by sharing only makes sense, as well as securing your lines future if anything should ever happen. Good reminder! cyclops

I agree with both of you, hope breeders listen

16Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:Yay! Maybe the line is not lost yet!
Hmmm...Rochester may be interested in some poults to start their line back up...perhaps an opportunity awaits for those of you who have banked their genetics for them?? Question Cool

I was thinking the same thing. Although, I think they would probably only want eggs. Don't think they would dare take a live bird in there.

17Hatchery loses turkey line Empty Re: Hatchery loses turkey line Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:05 am

turkeylurkey

I still have a tom and hens from Rochester's line and I know of another source. My tom is too clumsy to successfully breed so AI would have to be used. If Rochester really wants to re-establish there are options. Hopefully they will or somebody else will take up the cause.

http://www.guppy.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum