Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatch day Oh no!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Hatch day Oh no! Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well we had Cochin eggs shipped and they were handled roughly so air sacs displaced. I cut up an egg carton so I could fit them in my sons Brinsea mini adv. I tipped and turned by hand 3 times daily until 4 days ago. Today is the day and so far nothing Sad I thought sure 4 would hatch fine but just nothing yet. Should I lower humidity, should I raise humidity, should I just relax and wait??? Water level is half full in each of the cups

2Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:44 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well the humidity is better to be higher than lower, do you have something you can read it on? Relax, have patience, wait, and then relax again. If nothing happens, you might have to add some water to the cups.

3Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Candle them, if you see chicks moving around in there then all is still ok. I always look to see if they have pipped into an aircell, if they have could be 12-24 hrs before a pip, then another 12 or more hours before a hatch.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't have anything small enough to go in to check humidity. I tried candling but the brown shells are hard to see through now. I can't tell much except there's air and the eggs are pretty full of chick. Hatching is stressful! I'm going to stay away and hope the kids com e screaming in excitement because we have chicks hatched Smile

5Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well no chicks yet but 2 have cracked the shell! I'm thinking my opening the Brinsea mini 3x's a day to turn the eggs may have cooled them enough to slow down the hatch. My sons broody has been sitting on dud eggs and I think she's ready to become a mom after all her diligence!

6Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I would give it til tomorrow. Did my first hatch, well, it is at the end of the hatch, but I found that mine didnt start til the day after they were supposed to and they went on til three days after. I then candeled what was left and the rest didnt make it. I staggard my eggs as they came in, so Saturday is the last day for my eggs.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

7Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well this morning I found 1 nice dry fuzzy chick, 1 wet and must have just got the top off but doing good, another that baffles me as it's top is off and everything looks great except no movement nothing looks like it's gone Sad but there's only a tiny bit of shell on the bum so sad that it made it that far and gave up. I will wait and see if a miracle happens since there is a fourth egg just starting to break shell and it's still peeping

8Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am glad some made it, you will be able to feather sex them in few days. The little pullets grow longer primarys much faster then the males Very Happy

9Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:45 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If we can get the last one to finish hatching and not give up we'll have 3 chicks and that's a good number for us. Quin wants a big fluffy Cochin roo Smile. So far looks like 2 blues out and the quitter is wet but looks like it was blue too. The 4 darkest brown eggs were the 4 that made it to lockdown. Our AraucanaX hen Ms Tufts has been diligently sitting on her dud eggs and I think she'll be glad to finally magically have chicks Smile

10Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:08 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well our Ms Tufts is turning out to be a great mom! We have her in a dog kennel with her 3 new chicks. I switched to the lower marvel filled water and chick starter and she's had them out 4 times this morning so far to eat and drink and then scurry back under her. We take her out a couple times a day to eat drink scratch and "go" so her kennel is super clean. I have to fill the water quite often but when I do she just nudges them under her and puffs up like a turkey growling at me. We still have some very cold nights so we'll give them a few days inside while I watch that she's okay looking out for them and they're getting stronger before I put her outside with my buff ducks and my sons Christmas chicks in my horse stall. I think even then I'll lock in the kennel with them at night to be sure they're staying with her. Is there anything else I should watch for or do to ensure she's ok looking after our little fuzzies?? When should I be ok putting them in the coop with the rest of the flock? Thanx

11Hatch day Oh no!  Empty Re: Hatch day Oh no! Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:09 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well our Ms Tufts is turning out to be a great mom! We have her in a dog kennel with her 3 new chicks. I switched to the lower marvel filled water and chick starter and she's had them out 4 times this morning so far to eat and drink and then scurry back under her. We take her out a couple times a day to eat drink scratch and "go" so her kennel is super clean. I have to fill the water quite often but when I do she just nudges them under her and puffs up like a turkey growling at me. We still have some very cold nights so we'll give them a few days inside while I watch that she's okay looking out for them and they're getting stronger before I put her outside with my buff ducks and my sons Christmas chicks in my horse stall. I think even then I'll lock in the kennel with them at night to be sure they're staying with her. Is there anything else I should watch for or do to ensure she's ok looking after our little fuzzies?? When should I be ok putting them in the coop with the rest of the flock? Thanx

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum