Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

can an egg still hatch if it got a little cool

+4
pops coops
Prairie Chick
coopslave
vic's chicks
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

vic's chicks

I have a broody sitting on only two eggs that have developed out of the seven I gave her. The other day one of the two was not quite underneath her . it was a little cool. How much of a drop in temp would it take to kill the embryo and would I be able to tell when candling if it was still alive or not.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mark it and leave it under there. Candling will give you an idea if it is still viable. I had a hen that used to push out eggs that had stopped. She was always right. Great broody hen!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I say yes, after all some ppl have hatched eggs from the store.

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Keep an eye on it but I have never had a problem so should be OK

http://www.popscoops.com

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I hatched some eggs that a lady took out of her fridge, they were from her favourite hen that had died suddenly, one of her customers still had some eggs in the fridge so she brought them to me to put in the incubator. They are all doing well.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It depends how long it was cooling for and how far along the embryo is in development.......a short time of cooling should not damage the embryo but the longer it sat improperly incubated the greater the chance it would die. As coopslave said, mark it and candle it in a few days.

I know that incubating eggs in an incubator can survive quite well for a couple of hours with the power out at a certain stage in development.......I think once it is beyond 8 days old.

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There is a certain temperature where the embryo will die but I have put eggs in the fridge as a test and still had a reasonable hatch and so has others on this site.

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

fresh never incubated egg can get to a very cool stage, I have hatched aggs thatw ere just about to freezing but never started to develope, I have also had the power go off for as long as 18 housr and still had a very good hatch rate, at mixed stages of development.

http://www.popscoops.com

vic's chicks

This girl has everything else under control but she's not good at making sure those eggs are underneath her. I found a couple again today that were not underneath, just beside her. She has been sitting for twelve days now. I am not sure I will know what to look for if I candled them.How do you tell if they are alive or not?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Could you sneak her eggs into a shallow, slope sided bowl?

vic's chicks

thats a really good idea, yes I could.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum