Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I know this has probably been asked before, but my husband and I were talking about this this morning.

Can I legally give a piece of my homegrown butchered meat to friends and family or someone off the street?

I was under the impression that only the people who live in my house can consume my homegrown meat. (Hubby thinks it's ok to give it away, just not to sell it.)

This was brought up by the news story about the deer being culled (in was it Campbell River?) and donated to the homeless. It made me think about sharing meat we have butchered from my husbands hunting with family, and wondering why I could not do the same thing (but to family) with meat we have raised.

Where the deer that were cull brought to a licensed facility to be slaughtered and butchered?

Not sure if I am making any sense.

Just wondering what the differences were with game meat and home raised/butchered.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

2Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 am

I'd think that unless someone decided to report you that it should be okay ? It's a exchange between you and the other party , no one's business but yours as gar as I'm concerned .I always give away wild dmeat to who ever wants it , it's called shareing .

3Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is actually against the law to share/sell/give away wild meat you have taken down. Even if it is processed at a licenced facility.
Now for meat you have raised yourself there should be no reason you cannot give it to others. Not sure what the rules in BC are but here as long as it has been processed at an inspected facility it is ok to Farm Gate it, so if that is ok then giving it away is ok as well.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:49 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you are probably okay to share amongst friends and family. If you really want to cover yourself you hand it over while saying, this is for your dawg, not fit for human consumption, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. If you sell them dog food and they eat it, how is that your fault?

5Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:01 am

I'd guess that Alberta and Maybe Saskatchewan are different in that aspect ? We have been able to give our wild meat to a helping hands which distributed the meat to the needy .Also you have a area on most tags that allows another person to transfer the meat as well , at least on our tag system here we do .As far as I'm concerned it's mine as soon as I put my tag on it and i can do with it what I want , I don't sell it , but give it to those who want it who can't hunt for what ever reasons they have .........I think it's time the goverment stuck it's nose somewhere else instead into our daily lives .Most likely due to one person blameing someone else for there health issues ..my thoughts

6Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

In BC the issue is not where the game was raised, but where the animal is processed. If you plan to share it beyond your own front door, the processing has to happen at a Govt inspected facility. I am not clear how this applies to game. SIlkie, Google the CFIA and see what their rules say.

7Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

8Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Long story but will make it short, 2 years ago I had hatched 250 Ridley Bronze, since I cannot kill anything I had a friend raise them and had them processed at a Government inspected processing plant, Flash frozen then returned to me in late November, placed and ad to sell free range naturally raised Bronze turkey, got a call from food inspection, they asked where they were processed I told them and he stated that I am sorry but if you had them processed in Alberta I could only sell them in Alberta even if they were raised in Saskatchewan. I removed all the labels and placed an ad a couple weeks later, got a call again asked where they were processed and told him that I did it, well that was a slap on the wrist as well I cannot process for anyone except myself. We got into a conversation on lots of things and found out I cannot sell or give my eggs away, I cannot buy raw milk or cream and the wild meat that so many of my friends give me can't be done HUGE fines. Baking cannot be sold unless you have a certified kitchen and my pickles that I can, can only be consumed by me.

http://www.popscoops.com

9Sharing meat.  Game and Homegrown Empty Re: Sharing meat. Game and Homegrown Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Just goes to show that they want total control over us !Isn't it strange though that in one case people who couldn't drink the store milk yet were able to drink farm milk with out any ill affects ? They seem bent on killing off all private resourses so that they have us where they want .Time for a reveloution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum