Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eeeew that smell, can't you smell that smell, part two

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, it has happened again, some will recall my previous post about smells, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That was made the end of September, last. Well, again, yesterday, only instead of it taking days, it took one day with two poop trucks, spreading stinky poopy cow poop all over the field to the west of us. Think it is about 30 acres.

The fields around here are covered in about 3 inches of snow. It has been cold, so any snow that has fallen has stayed Shocked . I don't think it will leave now until probably mid March, sigh. That was when we had major snow melt, around the Ides of March.

So, stink, yes, stink of all stinks. There won't be any rain to wash away the stink, nor will it sink into the frozen ground. Stink everywhere. You walk outside and the air is filled with stink. What is a gal to do? But breath that stink.

Not complaining (but yea, guess I am), but what do you do. I can't wear a gas mask, my kids would think me even more weird than they already think I am. Guess I could just pull up my neck warmer when I go outside, but then I can't breath that great fresh country air. Ooops, it is not great fresh country air, it is the stink of cow poopy stuff. The stuff comes from what my Son-in-Law calls the lagoon, just across the alfalfa field on the east and over a little bit. I can see that place off in the distance now because the leaves are all gone off the trees, and it really is a whole lot closer than I thought it was Shocked .

Gads, eeeeew that smell, I can surely smell that smell.....when will it go? I will make a mental note of when the air smells nice again, well, as nice as the snow can smell anyways, I think snow has kind of a weird smell too. Have a great day, and I hope alls' nostrils do not get permeated with that smell of stinky smells, such as mine, smiling that big smile, CynthiaM.

Last edited by CynthiaM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Good tip with the vicks. Its good and overpowering. Stallion owners sometimes use it on the boys when the mares are in season to keep them better behaved.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, it is my understanding there are laws governing when farmers are allowed to do this and as far as I know, frozen ground is not on the list! Where you live people are not likely to make much of a stink, (bad pun) but many years back in Salmon Arm there was quite a kerfuffle! Farmer near the Picadilly Mall decided to start flinging $hit around Christmas when the mall was wall to wall shoppers. Nothing like the smell of pine, gingerbread and hog crap to bring tears to your eyes. I do beleive the Ministry of Stinky Smells got involved and farmer got a smack on the knuckles for manuring his fields when he most certainly was not supposed to. Alas, the olfactorally offended in rural Grindrod do not carry the same punch as a bunch of stunk-out Christmas shoppers.

Pray for freezing, as that usually arrests the stink. BUt forget about hanging your lanudry on the line! Not the sun fresh smell you were expecting! Not that we have any sun these days. I just hope it clears off by the time you sit down to Christmas dinner!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did a little checking and technically, manure spreading after Nov 1 is a no-no. Another problem is farmers who dispose of dead stock by tossing it in the poo pit. This is also not allowed, and it does make a bad stink even worse! But many do it. The only good thing about horses is that on the stinky poo scale, they are practically at the bottom of the list. In fact, a pile of manure a year old has turned to this gorgeous, black crumbly stuff that has the best smell, the smell of garden growth, I frequently dig out a handful of aging horse manure and take a big whiff, tells me how far along the process is. SOrry about your stinky situation!

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Did a little checking and technically, manure spreading after Nov 1 is a no-no. Another problem is farmers who dispose of dead stock by tossing it in the poo pit.

Oh, girl, oh girl!! Now you have really conjured up a very nasty scenario in my mind's eye, well, in my olfactory thingmabobthatdoesthejob!!! I think it smells like cow poopy stuff, not the stink of carrion (is that what dead critters are called, or did I make this up Embarassed ). this is cow crap, no crap about it!!

uno wrote:
In fact, a pile of manure a year old has turned to this gorgeous, black crumbly stuff that has the best smell, the smell of garden growth, I frequently dig out a handful of aging horse manure and take a big whiff, tells me how far along the process is. SOrry about your stinky situation!

Uno, one time when one of the beasts at your house (oops, that was my inner voice, not being a huge lover of the horse species, but still love them and admire them, ya, like that made a lot of sense)takes a nice and lovely, huge, big (what will one day be gorgeous, black crumbly stuff) dump, go stick your nose near it and tell me what you think Very Happy . I don't think it smells very nice, much worse than the outing stuff of a cow Twisted Evil .

I can't believe that you told us that you frequently go out and dig up a handful of aging horse manure and take a big whiff, now that is a girl with too much time on her hands and yes.....doing this at you again, sticking out my tongue (too bad there isn't an emoticon for that smiley face, smiling again). Fess up, you are a down to earth girl, and I mean down to horsey poopy earth. You know I kid those I love, hugs, have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's true! I plunge my hand into the pile, root around a bit until I have a good handful, pull it out and take a big whiff. Teen daughter rolls her eyes and moans, lord I hope none of my friends ever come down the driveway while you're out here smelling horse crap.

As for stink....when horse manure hits the ground hot out of the horse, yes, it is pungent. BUt not nearly as offensive to me as chicken manure. Leave it a day and shovelling it up is not a stinky job. Shovelling the poo pit in my hen house is ALWAYS a stinky job! Horse manure airs out, while most other poops remain stinky or get worse. A lagoon of liquid cow manure is a rank and offensive place, same with large scale chicken and hog. But horse manure, tossed in a pile, really produces no odour compared to the others. Our horse poo pile offends no one and supplements local roses and gardens every year. That is a happy poo event!

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Uno, you are the only person I can think of who drives old beaters and still thinks their $hit don't stink! Shocked

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dark Wing Duck wrote:Uno, you are the only person I can think of who drives old beaters and still thinks their $hit don't stink! Shocked

Bwaaaaaah, now how on earth do you spell laughing, guess an emoticon would do that job tongue , oops mean to go Laughing , pretty sure that gal thinks that way, darn, guess I'll just type it out, faster than clicking on the faces, smiling that big smile, and...have a wonderful night and days to follow!! CynthiaM.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha ha ha, you two are hilarious! Not. Neutral

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Woke up to two things this morning, snow, about 3 inches and still coming down hard, sigh...I don't like snow, but then, do, it keeps our home clean, no sand, no dirt, no clay...the other thing I woke up to was no smell. Nope, no smell, only the smell of snow. The snow has covered up the cow poopy stuff and the air is clear again, beauty. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum