Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chickens can go to school.

+3
pops coops
Fowler
silkiebantam
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chickens can go to school. Empty Chickens can go to school. Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:38 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My daughters wanted to bring some chickens to their class rooms.

We picked out a Polish Hen, little Millie, and a small rooster. Also, we brought in a dozen eggs of various sizes and colors, including a polish egg and the tiny Millie egg.

It was quite a bit of fun. My grade 2er was very proud of her chickens, as she packed them around the class, and tried to answer questions. The teacher loved it, and the kids were impressed with all the eggs. I got to tell a little bit about chickens, and what their jobs are, and what the roosters job was (most kids and people only think roosters are just for waking us up). The kids got to learn about the roosters protecting the hens, keeping an eye on the sky, and making special danger calls, as well as food calls, and how they care for hens. And that you need a rooster for the hens eggs to hatch.

The Grade 5 class was great too. My Daughter gave the presentation (with me to answer any questions). The best part was when my daughter told the class what the Rooster job was as she presented the rooster. It went something like this: " The rooster has a very important job on the farm. His job is to mate with all the hens, and fertilize the eggs. Jonas!!! Why are you rolling your eyes at me?!" Ha ha ha. It cracked me up. Poor boy.

The kids got a real kick out of chatty Millie, talking away in her creaky voice, and the way she put the rooster in his place by giving him a pick on his head. Of course, the polish was just funky, and got a lot of laughs, and questions like "Does she have eyes?"

Anyways, chickens are always a hit when we take them to school. It's a lot of fun listening to what all the kids have to say (lots of them had various stories bird or animal related). I always enjoy it. I love telling the kids about the chickens. Even the teachers seem to enjoy the excitement. I'll be sad when my kids don't think it's cool to take chickens to school anymore.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by silkiebantam on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

2Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lucky kids. I doubt they would do anything like that here.

3Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:53 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is fantastic I love working with the kids in schools. Yes chickens can go to school I set up incubators in a few schools and last year they wanted to keep them for 6 weeks after they hatched, and they brought them to us when it was time to give them up.

http://www.popscoops.com

4Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is pretty nice.
We donated some duck eggs to my neice's (city school) and 7 of the 9 hatched. They kept them in their room for 2 weeks, had a swimming area for them, and took them out daily to fresh grass. Those kids leared so much with those, they learned about opaque/clear in art class with the eggs, shadows, and loved to compare how the babies grew each week. They unfortunately missed the hatching since the ducklings came a day early, but the teacher took pictures for them, and they burried the non hatching eggs, sweet kids.

Our country school enjoys the babies being brought in but not sure how they would handle adult birds? So nice your girls still enjoy showing off their birds.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm almost 50 and I still think it is cool to have chickens at school. If you are lucky she will never grow up!

Sue

6Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:51 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Future farmers get inspired in all sorts of ways! What a great thing that you loan out your birds! Kids are so interested in stuff, I hope your girls keep it up, bringing birds into the smaller grades, even when they are in bigger grades themselves.

7Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:56 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Last spring i hatched chicks for the preschool class and they kept them for a couple of days so all the kids got a chance to see. I will do the same again this year. My daughter is in Kindergarten and will offer my bator and eggs to them when the time comes. I brought kittens that I was bottle feeding into her class...around here, I am that crazy lady with the zoo at her place. Maybe this year, I will harness up the dog and give Newfie sleigh rides!!

8Chickens can go to school. Empty Re: Chickens can go to school. Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We feel so lucky that our schools allow the animals to be brought to school. Most of the teachers are pretty easy going about it.

A couple years ago, we brought a small pig to the school for the kids to see and touch. That causes lots of excitement. It was very exciting. (Although I did get a couple disgusted looks from a couple ladies. Poor piggie couldn't help he had an accident in his kennel.)

The grade 5 teacher this year has asked us to bring a piglet in in the spring, if we get them.

My husband says this is the last time ever for chickens. He wasn't crazy about the drive into town with them in the vehicle. Boooooo I say! A small price for the experience it gives kids who may never otherwise get to see and touch a live chicken. I love doing it.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum