Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

pullet with goofy legs

+9
cornel
KathyS
coopslave
Hidden River
BriarwoodPoultry
CynthiaM
chickeesmom
DoubleSSRanch
Nora
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26pullet with goofy legs - Page 2 Empty Re: pullet with goofy legs Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:26 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nora, good that you had the work done. Not marek's, interesting. Now they didn't offer any thing to figure out why the lower intestine was inflamed, too bad eh? Now wondering if it was coccidiosis (cecal comes to mind). Could you more clearly define EXACTLY what symptoms the ill birds were displaying, you have now caught my attention further with this. I am glad that you found out it is not marek's.

Marek's is airborne, if your chickens breath, they can be exposed to it. This has been said time and time again. It can come on your clothes from someone in the shopping store, it can blow on the wind, it can be carried on a bird that has popped into your yard, or near your yard, it is everywhere, from the understanding I have.

I had two birds around 16 weeks old contract it, both had been vaccinated, I have spoken of this, so should shut up for repetition sake, but just can't stop myself, sigh. I have had 4 cases of marek's in 7 years of keeping chickens.

And get this. When we moved up from the coast and brought our chickens, there had never been a single fowl kept on this property in which we live, ever.....so tell me where this dude called marek's came from? I think from the grocery store or somewhere like that, perhaps the feed store, who knows...but it came and reared its ugly head. It certainly did not come from this property....thoughts. have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

27pullet with goofy legs - Page 2 Empty coccidiosis Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:57 am

Nora

Nora
New Here

Yes, the vets also suspect coccidiosis. I was wondering what more I could do for hygiene considering they get fresh bedding often, fresh water twice a day, and are fed from the usual containers. And yet, somehow, they manage to poop in their food and water no matter what I do.

I am sure this is how that pullet became ill.

Do everybody's chickens do this, or are mine especially gross?

28pullet with goofy legs - Page 2 Empty Re: pullet with goofy legs Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Try raising the water and feed containers higher. I have mine as high as their backs and I never get poo in either. I either hang them or have them on stumps of wood. It is ok if they have to reach for the food a bit, saves them flicking it and wasting it as well.
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

29pullet with goofy legs - Page 2 Empty Re: pullet with goofy legs Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 am

Nora

Nora
New Here

Thanks. They have been high up off the floor but perhaps I'll try hanging them. Unless they are trapeze artists, that might work.

30pullet with goofy legs - Page 2 Empty Re: pullet with goofy legs Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:48 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, have you ever seen the water sources that chickens drink from, smiling. I am shocked when I dump out any water that may have some feces in it, their own, and they gobble up that water pool like there was nary a tomorrow, silly birds. My waterers are high up for the most part, the feces does not for the most part, travel to them. But sometimes, that happens, think they pick it up and fling it or something, chickens are very smart Shocked . Putting the food and water up a little higher certainly does help with them flicking the food out and getting crap in the water (crap can be anything from feces to well....crap, just stuff). Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum