Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2 chicks hatched with crooked legs - temp problem?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just hatched out two chicks with completely crooked legs, they can't walk they 'scoot'. Their leg joints seem swollen and they can't move them voluntarily. Is this an incubator temperature problem? This is the first time in over a hundred chicks I have had this problem, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Did I do this by taking too long to candle them? Sad I try to candle very quickly....

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Were they some of the later hatchers? I find that if I have a slow hatch or a draggy chick to hatch they will have that problem, doesnt happen often but does seem more so if they take a long time to hatch.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes, I believe at least one of them was a later hatcher. I know that the temp couldn't be 'that' off because everyone else pipped at day 20 and hatched on or right before day 21. There were about 30 chicks within 12 hrs! There was only about 4 later day 21.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This has nothing to do with candling. And it can be any of several causes, none of which you are likley to know for sure.

One of the reasons they say to hatch medium sized eggs instead of really large eggs is so you don't get really large chicks, who end up too heavy for their own legs to hold them up. Are these two monster, fatso chicks? If so, they may yet get themselves together and learn to walk.

I keep a bottle of cod liver oil capsules on hand for chicks born weak or with ligament/joint problems. If the defect is from poor nutrition during development, a dose of cod liver oil right away can sometimes help. Sometimes.

If the chick has 'yolk belly', the enlarged or off centered gut can push out against the legs, making proper movement difficult. If these two managed to hatch on their own,I tend to think this problem can be overcome. If they are screaming and squawking worse than anyone else, there might be a bigger problem. If they are sleepy, dopey and not alert like everyone else, there might be a bigger problem. But if they seem normal in all ways except for their legs, then give them a few drops of cod liver oil and wait and see. Also DO NOT force fatso chicks to eat and drink right awa after hatch. If a diet is what they need, they are good for a day and a half at least without food or water. Also be sure no to overheat them, as that causes chicks to melt and lay around like blobs too, panting and miserable.

Give them a couple days to see if they can work it out. Cull if you think they are showing signs of other misery like loud peeping or excessive sleepiness.

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for the info, Uno.

These guys are not fatso chicks, they are actually probably the smallest two. More similar to the size of the polish chicks I hatched, but they are standard breed chicks. They do seem quite sleepy and I haven't seen them eating but they are only a day long. They do have a bit of a 'pot belly', so ? I don't know. I have some fish oil capsules - same thing? They are a supplement for the dog who has bad joints.. I'll go feed them some of the gel inside and see if it helps. If not, I won't let them suffer No I hate when things don't go right.

Oh - also, the hens are all on an 18% breeder ration for feed, so I was told that is sufficient nutrition and protein to lay healthy eggs for hatching?

Strange that this topic should come up now , my nephew just hatched a bunch and there were a few in his batch that he discribes as frog legs ?? say's that they can't walk and he has to put them down.Also had a few that had abnormally large leg's as well as knees? Put those down as well ?? He thought that the large leg's/Knees were a trait from one of the Roosters from the flock where he got the eggs from ?? Myself I've never had any , but I also have some eggs hatching right now from the same flock ?? I incubate dry where he goes with the standard humidity standards ???? maybe that has something to do with it ??

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

uno wrote:This has nothing to do with candling. And it can be any of several causes, none of which you are likley to know for sure.

One of the reasons they say to hatch medium sized eggs instead of really large eggs is so you don't get really large chicks, who end up too heavy for their own legs to hold them up. Are these two monster, fatso chicks? If so, they may yet get themselves together and learn to walk.

I keep a bottle of cod liver oil capsules on hand for chicks born weak or with ligament/joint problems. If the defect is from poor nutrition during development, a dose of cod liver oil right away can sometimes help. Sometimes.

If the chick has 'yolk belly', the enlarged or off centered gut can push out against the legs, making proper movement difficult. If these two managed to hatch on their own,I tend to think this problem can be overcome. If they are screaming and squawking worse than anyone else, there might be a bigger problem. If they are sleepy, dopey and not alert like everyone else, there might be a bigger problem. But if they seem normal in all ways except for their legs, then give them a few drops of cod liver oil and wait and see. Also DO NOT force fatso chicks to eat and drink right away after hatch. If a diet is what they need, they are good for a day and a half at least without food or water. Also be sure no to overheat them, as that causes chicks to melt and lay around like blobs too, panting and miserable.

Give them a couple days to see if they can work it out. Cull if you think they are showing signs of other misery like loud peeping or excessive sleepiness.

I totally agree with Uno, give them a chance but the loud cheeping is a sure sign something is likely wrong internally. Also it could be high humidity and there is a chance it could be genetic. You'll have more idea of that after your hatch.

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Excessive sleepiness, or what looks like sleepiness, huddled away from others with eyes closed a lot, is actually a sign of pain. Birds that are in pain will often appear sleepy.

The few cases of yolk belly I had were chicks that appeared fatter, felt heavy, had bulbous bellies that were tight and sometimes larger off to one side. They also moved less, were not interested in eating and looked sleepy, because they were in pain! Picking off the navel scab and relieving the pressure (of the unabsorbed yolk) might save them. Or it might kill them. I know, this is no help at all!

Roosters usually hatch with larger looking joints. They look oddly out of proportion. This is NOT a problem that should be culled for. This is simply more robust bone size, often one of the clues for early sexing (of certain breeds) is the size of leg bone. Brahams, for example, have VERY stout legs and stout joints to go with it.

I find that if a chick truly has some genetic or birth defect, he just drops over dead with little fanfare. The screamers in the crowd usually do so because they are cold or feeling vulnerable. Usually cold.

If your fish capsules have oil or jel in them try giving some to the chicks. If you think they have yolk belly you can pick off the navel scab, but whatever comes out will be sticky and you will have to separate them to prevent picking AND you will have to wash them several times or they will get super glued to something. But telling if they have yolk belly is the trick. Good luck!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum