Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

And I thought it would be simple

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1And I thought it would be simple Empty And I thought it would be simple Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last night I had some spare time to relax, so decided to make a post about my bird washing event. Typed for about 15 minutes, pushed the backspace button a couple of times to delete a word, and it went back to a different window. Rats. So pushed the forward button and it took me to a new text box and my typing was gone. Rats again. Now for me to type for 15 minutes, (remembering I can type as quickly as one speaks), that is a whole lotta words. I lost the post. Now from past experience of being a word processor, I know that I should always push control A to copy all text, push control S to save it in the clipboard (at least if you lose something all is not lost), but just didn't. I lost all the stuff I had typed. Got very annoyed and decided to just go and watch TV, which I did.

So this morning, I am redoing the post, but it will be short as I am still a little miffed, smiling.

Yes. Bathed 5 large fowl birds yesterday, in my Daughter's bathtub, using 3 rubbermaid containers. They fit nicely in there, the edges on the rim of the tub, a bit of a snug fit, but they all fit. One tub with a couple of drops of soap, the other two with vinegar water. It took me 5 hours approximately to do 5 birds.

Well, never in my wildest dreams would it take an hour per bird to bath and blowdry, but I did, what a job. But they are lookin' mighty fine. I didn't use glycerin, I just rinsed them well with the shower head on the final rinse, along with the last vinegar solution (was afraid of them smelling like pickles, smiling).

I was absolutely shocked at the colour of the water. It was not really even dirty, well, yes a little discoloured, but not what I would call dirty. I think if I bathed my big 100 pound dog in a rubbermaid (like he would fit), probably more dirty water would show up than my chickens. I found that rather strange. Especially with 3 cochins with big fluffy feet. Even the bottom of the tub when I emptied it had no muddy stuff on the bottom. Think it is the climate here. I am sure back in my old life on the wet southwest coast of B.C. that there would have been a mountain of mud on the bottom.

Anyways, the cochins were dolls, the rooster and two hens. They just stood there, wondering what in the bling bling happened to them. The buff orpington pullet was a bit of a bad girl, the buff orpington cockerel was a good boy. When I put the orpington cockerel into the metal blow drying cage, he was so tall I was worried about him banging his comb on the top, freak!! He is tall and huge. I am thinking this is how the breed SHOULD look. We'll see what the judges say at the event, hopefully some nice things, but if not, some things for me to work on for sure!!

Oh this is going to be an exciting show!! I get to meet so many friends from here (remember I am very, very shy, so if I chicken out and don't say hi to anyone, you will know why, I might be stalking you, waiting for the right moment to attack, smiling again).

By the way....I have made a small poster to sit on a table. Well, I am hoping that Heather can find a place to put the sign thingy. It will be in a picture frame, it is orange with writing on it.

I will be wearing blue jeans, a leather vest and a lavender-purply coloured jacket, so if you see me, approach me, I am better at that than approaching others, but I will, remember I will be keeping watch to see who is who in our little zoo!! Have a beautiful day, see some of you tomorrow at the show (and maybe even at coop in today). CynthiaM.

2And I thought it would be simple Empty Re: And I thought it would be simple Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:59 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hear you! that bathing is a big job even with two people doing it!
Did you have any wet chickens go flapping around the bathroom? Shocked

We sent Chantecler_eh? off on his way this morning, they left very early...roosters crowing away in the complete darkness...all seemed to fit in ok so hope they get there in good shape!
Good Luck everyone... Smile

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3And I thought it would be simple Empty Re: And I thought it would be simple Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:12 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Miry, nope, the chickens went into a metal cage as each one was washed and then blowdried, nothing got loose, thank goodness. Your Son and Husband got here about 3:30, a couple of hours early, which was good, then I went to coop in with the birds. The buckeye pullets he brought are lovely!! And in their segregated area in the coop. They'll be melded with the other buckeyes tomorrow after the show stuff is done. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

4And I thought it would be simple Empty Re: And I thought it would be simple Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well thank you for sharing that experience, Cynthia. I am disappointed your original post went missing! I once had that happen myself, and it sure is frustrating! Mad

After reading this I now realize I will have to allow lots of time for bathing! Being a first-time exhibiter I was thinking this bathing process can't be that big of a deal...a couple hours should be enough to get 6 or so birds washed, and somewhat dry, nails clipped etc.
...hmmm... better re-think that and plan for an all-day chicken spa! And maybe I'd better try to recruit a helper.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum