Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Proper Eye Colour in Chicks

+3
coopslave
duanescows
liz
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:06 pm

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Are chicks born with the correct eye colour or does it develop with age? I had a chick with the wrong eye colour that I decided to finally cull. Now I can't figure out which one cause all of the eye colours are now correct in that bunch of chicks. Am I getting old and losing my mind? scratch

2Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Re: Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:56 am

duanescows

There are a few of us wondering about that. The eye color that is, although we have also discussed your mental health state as well. Any experienced breeders out there that know?

3Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Re: Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eye colour can change as chicks mature. I usually only go by the colour as the bird is mature, but if I was getting some chicks with the right eye colour early and some not, I would start marking the good ones and keep that in mind for choosing later.

4Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Re: Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:37 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I concur, I only look when they are older like 3 or 4 months. I think chicks are alot like puppies and their eyes are not quite what they will be when they are a bit older.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

5Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Re: Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some of my Blue Ameraucana have the most amazing green flecked eyes. I almost wish they'd stay that colour it's so pretty.

6Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Re: Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:15 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am worried about so many other things, that eye colour hasn't made it on my culling list yet.

7Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Empty Re: Proper Eye Colour in Chicks Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm

coyoteacres

coyoteacres

Liz, I can't really answer the eye color question, but if i wasn't trying to be on good behavior, I could answer your last question. Sometimes it is so hard to resist, when people make it as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.
But perhaps, the most appropriate answer to both queries, is the one about waiting for 3 or 4 months.

http://www.coyoteacresranch.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum