Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deer are Dangerous

+7
Blue Hill Farm
Giddyup
heda gobbler
uno
pops coops
chickeesmom
Fowler
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Deer are Dangerous Empty Deer are Dangerous Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

A New Brunswick farmer was killed by one of his deer this past weekend.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yikes, not good news, both of my boys are deer farmers!!

3Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wife rolled her car 5 times and ended up on the other side of a fence last fall after just missing a deer, she has some terrible hed problems now and is in pain most of the time. On the road we live on ana average of 5 a day are hit.

http://www.popscoops.com

4Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Most deer will get aggresive at this time of year !The bucks grow those antlers for a reason and they are not pets !! This happens every year somewhere and people don't seem to understand that if a buck wants to attach you , you won't win ! they have incrediable strenght and are wired for fighting .There are people who get disimbowled ever year from deer that were calm ? and they can't understand why ???? Wild animals are just that , and they will defend what they feel is a threat! ....with the intent to kill that threat ! every year there are bucks who fight till one of them is dead .Survival is the name of the game , and although I do feel sorry for the family of the farmer that got killed , he learned the hard way and that is trully sad

5Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was charged by a female deer once and in it was just so bizarre I stood there with my mouth open, not believing what was happening.

Neighbours called to say they had found a baby deer without its mother and put the baby in their garage. I said to let it out, if the mom was anywhere around, she would find the baby, do not lock baby up. I drove over to have a look, they had released the fawn, but it was crying and crying, making a LOT of noise, which made me think there was something wrong.

THe fawn was wandering into the brush and I was following at a distance, eyes peeled for mom. The baby never quit crying and I could see its lower jaw was hanging at a weird angle, looked broken to me. The baby stopped in an opening, crying, and I had visions of coyotes also hearing this and closing in for a meal. So I advanced slowly hoping to push the baby into deeper bush when out of nowhere mom came charging straight at me! She was leaping and flinging her front legs out, slamming them onto the ground in an exaggerated way. I thought, I'm going to be killed by a deer, how embarrassing. AT the last second she veered off, circled around and went to the screaming baby. I backed away and watched the baby try to nurse, without any success, and the mom moved away from it again, leaving it trailing behind, bleating and stumbling. It was so sad and I have a whole new wariness of deer. It is very sad about the farmer.

6Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Every spring I watch my dogs being chased by does, and in the fall by bucks. Not the bambi some city people imagine...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I hear in the Cranbrook area (I think it was?) they are going ahead with a deer cull. We need to do that in VIctoria as well but it was a big joke on the radio that there would be too many people protesting it, after all, we could hardly get rid of problem (HUGE problem) rabbits, never mind trying to cull a larger animal.
I say good on ya Cranbrook!

8Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:17 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Holy hooves! I would have done the same thing uno, not really believing what was happening... affraid I must say reading this has changed my perspective of deer as docile creatures aka Bambi. We have a small herb (a few does and a young buck) living in our backyard trees, so I will on my guard now.

9Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Flicker Chick wrote:Holy hooves! I would have done the same thing uno, not really believing what was happening... affraid I must say reading this has changed my perspective of deer as docile creatures aka Bambi. We have a small herb (a few does and a young buck) living in our backyard trees, so I will on my guard now.
No need to fear them , just give them the respect that they deserve.Just like a human mother a doe will protect her young , and just like a male , a buck will fight for his mate ......sort of Razz .....or if you live your whole life just for the reproduction part of it then it's easy to understand why the bucks are the way that they are

10Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:51 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm always surprised (well not really) when people underestimate an animals' actions.

Although I've spent most of my life around wildlife;
I've been stalked by cougars, charged by bears, almost stampeded by a herd of elf to name a few,
I try to be empathetic towards the non-experienced, but it's really just common sense that people seem to throw out the window when it comes to mother nature.

Mother nature gives animals defensive and offensive weapons for a reason. To survive, and protect themselves when threats arise.
These racks of giant pointed harpoons on their heads are not there to look cute.

An animals' will to survive is stronger than you think.

11Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:31 am

samwise

samwise

I agree with most of your post Hillbilly, but I have to admit the part about being stampeded by a herd of elf has me a wee tad skeptical! Laughing

12Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:38 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You think this is humorous? leave these little critters alone 11 months of the year, and they can get out of hand!
I almost lost a kneecap!
Even the Travelocity Gnome gives me nightmares!

13Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:04 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

It's true, the elf at the North Pole are notorious for their stampeding tendencies. That's why they are required to wear bells on their boots. Good thing Santa's reindeer can fly. Suspect

14Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hillbilly wrote: I'm always surprised (well not really) when people underestimate an animals' actions.

Although I've spent most of my life around wildlife;
I've been stalked by cougars, charged by bears, almost stampeded by a herd of elf to name a few,
I try to be empathetic towards the non-experienced, but it's really just common sense that people seem to throw out the window when it comes to mother nature.

Mother nature gives animals defensive and offensive weapons for a reason. To survive, and protect themselves when threats arise.
These racks of giant pointed harpoons on their heads are not there to look cute.

An animals' will to survive is stronger than you think.

And here I thought those racks were created so we could hang them on the wall?!?! rendeer

15Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:02 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

'lilfarm wrote:It's true, the elf at the North Pole are notorious for their stampeding tendencies. That's why they are required to wear bells on their boots. Good thing Santa's reindeer can fly. Suspect

You think flying reindeer is good? Try cleaning your car off at the North Pole. There's a reason Santa wears a hat.

16Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:41 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Fowler wrote:You think flying reindeer is good? Try cleaning your car off at the North Pole. There's a reason Santa wears a hat.
Without a doubt. And did you hear the tragic story of that poor old grandma getting run over by the reindeer? Horrible, horrible, horrible. They even wrote a song about it. If I were Santa, I'd wear a hat and padding too.

17Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:05 am

Santa only wears that get-up to throw everyone off her true identity. Shocked

18Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 pm

samwise

samwise

Uh oh. Then who is Mrs. Santa? This thread is turning out to be a real eye opener.

19Deer are Dangerous Empty Re: Deer are Dangerous Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:01 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

samwise wrote:Uh oh. Then who is Mrs. Santa? This thread is turning out to be a real eye opener.

It's the same person.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum