Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What are people entering in the national show???

+4
viczoe
Cathyjk
mirycreek
fuzzylittlefriend
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just curious as to what people have decided to enter in the fallfeather fest/national show? I am still trying to decide on a few birds and cant seem to make up my mind bounce

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dominique cockerel and pullet im thinking if chantecler_eh? can find room to take them over for me...
The nice thing is the pullet I like is amazingly friendly, WANTS to be picked up, so that is a stroke of luck, the cockerel not quite so friendly yet but he will need some coop training and then.... Laughing
Figured I ought to do my part to represent the breed in Canada...and hopefully get some constructive criticism (or praise< I would like that better of course, ha ha)[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Heres the pullet yesterday, she is such a sweeetie.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
And the cockerel...

Last edited by mirycreek on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hoping to enter:

Australorp rooster/cockeral
Australorp hens/pullet (mabye 3 or 4)
LF white cornish rooster and hen
Saxony drake
Saxony hen

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

In the national my main breeds will be the Barred Rocks and Leghorns for L.F and for Bantams old english game, modern games and a few SCCL.

The club has been working very hard to make this a success with as much prize money I have been able to gather of up for grabs (and more to be put on the website soon, but the most important is the bragging rights for your breed. The judges we have hired are 2 of the best in the U.S and will be happy to answer questions. Considering the majority of our "Working" members are over 70 years of age I am extremely proud of what we have put together. Over the past few months though we have been blessed to a quite a few more "working" members join our club and they are going gung ho to help us out. A good time will hopefully be had by all and the Biggest thing people can do is to support us with an entry or two. If you can't come get hold of me if you are thinking of entering a bird or two and we will try to find thema run with a responsible person and they can be looked after and prepped at the show by myself or one of our other show savvy people.

Anyway can hardly wait -well sort of as I have many jobs still to be done closer to the show. Thank you to everyone who contributed prize money for the awards, you have no idea how grateful we are as it's people like you that encouage people to come out to these events, though I am a visitor and just like to attend to yak at people.

Heather

PS-Very very nice Miry Creek!!

http://www.triple-h.ca

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i hope to bring a pair of white rocks, pair of buff brahmas(they have turned out great Heather!), some silkie girls, and maybe some welsummers. going to wait till after this weeks show to see which and what to bring. hoping i can make it and get out of school early on the friday!
Cornel

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

I hope to be bringing some white Chanteclers. I would like to bring a couple of different Buckeye pullets just to hear judges thoughts on them, not to sure on their quality. Hoping that this show will be a good learning expierence and I'm really looking forward to it.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pretty stoked and excited about this, it will be a time to reacquaint with others met and new friends to meet. I am still sitting on the fence about what I am going to bring. I do have a nice black cochin and blue cochin hen, I think I would love to bring them. I am still so uncertain about bathing though, I know you should, but absolutely not sure how I am going to wing this again. I need to study more on how to bath these big furry birds and get them dried nicely, smiling that big smile. I have my big buckeye rooster left, he just turned one on the first of October, so he will go in the cock bird class, and perhaps a couple of buff orpington pullets too, and a cockerel, some to me look very promising and they will be about 21 weeks old by then (Heather is that too young to bring a pullet or two and that cockerel? I really need to know this answer).

I really can't wait to hear the judge comments on my birds, it is just so nice to know what others think of our birds that we think ourselves that are just the cream of the stock, smiling again. Kidding. We are all learning and when we hear others' comments, it is nothing short of something wonderful.

So, all in all, I think I will be bringing 6 birds. Can't wait.

I still think that we all need to put our thinking caps on and figure out a way that we can let people know who we are. Name badges, well, I don't think so, but I think maybe a secret wink to people we think might be a member of our forum, smiling again, or perhaps a red ribbon in our hair, or a purple dot on our chin, hey, what about wearing a specific colour of clothing? Surely we must all have something in common that we could wear that is the same colour? A scarf?

If anyone is interested in this, so we don't be too shy to actually go to someone that turns out to think we are crazy in introducing ourselves, make a thread and let's get some recognition going on. I know that I am extremely shy person in many ways. And at other poultry shows I was just plain and simply too shy to try to introduce myself to someone that wasn't someone that I wanted to meet. And I would love to meet every last one of my forum friends that comes to the poultry show. Put on the thinking cap!! And...have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cynthia, they should be fine for the show almost 6 months by then. Also when I see you next I will tell you about bathing. Not difficult the most important thing is the rinse.

I will be the one running and limping around like I lost my head, so you should have no trouble locating me

Heather

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heather, good morning. I think there may be others limping and running around like they have lost their head too, hee, hee. I'll take you up on the offer of listening, whilst you speak of how to bath the bird, particularly the rinse, shoulda asked you yesterday, but had other things on my mind, smiling. Hsve a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, we found the bathing was amazingly easy, not a bit like bathing a cat!
They just relax right into the warm water, especially the roosters, (you KNOW how men just love a spa! Wink )

We had 3 rubbermaid tubs set up on sawhorses and boards at a comfortable height and then wire cages to pop them in to dry once they were clean, of course last year we had the brand new chicken coop to work in, this year maybe we can talk people into heating the machine shop for us for a day!

Of course it is nice to have someone as crazy as yourself to do it with, it is kinda a two person job but then you can get the assembly line thing going.
We couldn't believe what a difference it made to their feathers!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes the bathing is not that bad cynthia but take heathers fabulous advice as I learned at the IPE this year that bathing properly can be the difference between winning or not! Heather gave me fabulous advice I will be using this time! I bathed 7 birds with the help of my sister and of course my four year old son and it went quite smooth. I have decided to borrow the large cage dry that my work has ( which we dont use often mostly just the cool air setting to use on over heated dog emergencies)to help dry everyone well.

I think I plan to bring one white and one black cochin pullet ( how I am going to keep the white clean is an impossible task!). Two mille fleur d'uccle hens, two mille fleur d'uccle cockrels ( my babies I love them they are the first birds I ever hatched and I refer to them as my baby boys! Wink ) the buff laced polish pullet, I want to bring the porcalin d'uccle but she seems to have a ton of broken leg and tail feathers so I am kind of on the fence about her, I think the birchen cochin (bantam) cockerel and maybe the partridge rock bantam pullet.

It will be great to see everyone in person. I will be the one with the crazzy kids Rolling Eyes

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sultan

Sultan

Where's it being held this year

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The Canadian National is being held in Armstrong B.C and is being hosted by the Vernon Piegon and Poultry Club at the Hassen Arena. The website address is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The date is November 4-6th with early coop out for everyone.

Heather

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum