Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GREAT deal on shavings!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GREAT deal on shavings! Empty GREAT deal on shavings! Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was turned on to this deal by DSSR.

There is a firewood company just south of Leduc. The gentleman sells a humongous bag of shavings for $40. $20 for the shavings and $20 for the bag which can be refilled for $20. The shavings are chain saw shavings. Fine but not powdery. The bag is one of those giant feed bags- about 3' x 3' x 4 or 5'.

Nice guy, friendly, will load the shavings for you. PM or email me for a contact number.

Sue

2GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:23 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue are they compacted or loose in the bag? Wish I was closer to you guys, not sure how much of a deal it would be after driving for 10 hours to get it. LOL

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is a place just north of Saskatoon and a friend that has a tomato farm gets a bus load for free twice a year and they are shavings from a lumber mill.

http://www.popscoops.com

4GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 am

Chain saw shavings might contain chain oil ? not sure if that is a issue , but the shavings that I get when I saw are put onto a pile to rot .From a mill thats different , maybe take and buy two of the vacumed bags and open them up and dump the contents into your bag .......you should have the same amount or more as when he fills your bag , sorry but that price seems awefully high for loose shaveings .I can buy the Alberta pine shavings here in a vaccumed bag for $4.50 a bag and there is a lot in there once you tear it open ......just thought that maybe you should check before you dive in .My thoughts only

5GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Guys,

It is $20 for a 5 foot high, 3 foot square bag of shavings. There is at least 15 bags worth (those small ones for $7 or whatever they are now). The other $20 is the price of the tote bag, which is what it costs him to buy it. Its $20 for the shavings, and its a good deal. I use these shavings.

There is no oil in it. Its not a traditional chain saw, youd have to see it to understand Smile

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

6GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:20 pm

I have a feeling I know what you're talking about , I have my own saw mill and I plane wood as well ."" Chainsaw ""just was a picture that I pictured as being a traditional chain saw .I have kept saw particals from my saw , but only for grown stock , not chicks , and the planer chip's I use for bedding material depending on what kind of wood it is .I'll assume that it's a awefully heavy bag then as well .I just meant that the bags that I buy here are like the insulation bags , once you cut it open there is a lot of material there that doesn't show itself when you just look at the bag ............good buy !

7GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:31 pm

You can see pics here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same idea, just someone has decided to go "official" with it, give it a name "Britewood", and sell them for big bucks to hobby farmers. If you have access to this product for that price, go for it!!!

8GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:You can see pics here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same idea, just someone has decided to go "official" with it, give it a name "Britewood", and sell them for big bucks to hobby farmers. If you have access to this product for that price, go for it!!!
The difference with Britewood is they compress the bags, you get way more shavings in thier bags than you would in the loose packed bags.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:Sue are they compacted or loose in the bag? Wish I was closer to you guys, not sure how much of a deal it would be after driving for 10 hours to get it. LOL

They are loose in the bag, but he fills them full and shakes them and squishes them down with his tractor.

Sue

10GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:Chain saw shavings might contain chain oil ? not sure if that is a issue , but the shavings that I get when I saw are put onto a pile to rot .From a mill thats different , maybe take and buy two of the vacumed bags and open them up and dump the contents into your bag .......you should have the same amount or more as when he fills your bag , sorry but that price seems awefully high for loose shaveings .I can buy the Alberta pine shavings here in a vaccumed bag for $4.50 a bag and there is a lot in there once you tear it open ......just thought that maybe you should check before you dive in .My thoughts only

There were so many shavings in the bag that both my husband and I could barely roll the bag into the barn. Lordie, we need a fork attachment for the tractor.

They are extremely clean- pine, spruce and poplar with no dust!

I am extremely cheap and know a deal when I see it. This is a deal! I have 2 bags so far and probably will go back for more.

Sue

11GREAT deal on shavings! Empty Re: GREAT deal on shavings! Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Well all I can say is good for you , around here there are just the small compressed bales of shavings and the cheapest is $4.50 a bag , I'll get some for the winter months for chicken bedding , but I also have wheat straw that is very loose so that will be my main bedding this winter .......but if they were avaliable here I'd buy as well , good deal

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum