Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adding Stall Dry to Shavings???

+4
Echo 1
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
Pollywog
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Is this a thing that is done? Until I get poop boards built anyhow.

2Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

To destinkify? You could add peat, as well.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am finding peat strangely hard to get hold of in the winter months...go figure!

Pollywog, yes, you can add stall dry to shavings but expect it to fall through and the shaving to sit on top.

4Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am loving the shavings, peat and straw that we are suing this winter. The peat moss really helps with the smell and the Orps seem to love turning it over looking for scratch. It is going to make lovely compost in a couple of years.

5Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have such a dust problem in my hen house as it is! I found stall dry (or DE) just added to the dustiness. Do you peat users find that peat keeps the dust down or does it also become airborne sediment?

6Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lucky Uno! You can keep the ammonia down by sprinking with a watering can of pure vinegar and solve your dustiness problem at the same time.

7Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sadly my coop is not as dry as I would like it to be so I will have to address the ventilation issue when It warms up a bit

8Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:24 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We put in some ventilation ports...get them at the hardware store; they are about a footX10 inces...maybe a foot by 14 inches...they are a rectangle-not a square. We installed them in the (god..i just don't know my terminology)rafters, put plywood up to block the wind, then installed these vents. it has worked pretty good. We still need to install a couple of more in the front, and all along the back

9Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't really want to get too much composting going on in my coops. I have wood floors so I thought the stall dry would be good.

10Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think what makes the Dry Stall work is Diatomaceous earth and it costs much less than Dry Stall.
At least that was my recollection when I looked at the ingredients in Dry Stall.

Absorbs urine and stops the ammonia from coming off.

11Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pollywog wrote:I don't really want to get too much composting going on in my coops. I have wood floors so I thought the stall dry would be good.

I have a coop with a rotting floor. I am hoping I can compost that thing right out of there!

12Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:36 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If you can geta hold of Zeolite, it works great to cut the ammonia and keep the coops fresh. I put it down before I put fresh shaving down, I also use it in the yard to freshen the soil. It's heavier than DE and not dusty, safer for the chickens.

13Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Empty Re: Adding Stall Dry to Shavings??? Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

debbiej wrote:If you can geta hold of Zeolite, i.....ty, safer for the chickens.

Do you buy it at the gardening centre?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum