Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stupid sayings

+9
Island Girl
lanaire-ranching
Prairie Chicken
Hillbilly
pops coops
Blue Hill Farm
CynthiaM
Fowler
uno
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stupid sayings Empty Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is of no consequence. Sometimes I just start thinking about things and I have to get it off my chest. Sad for you, I do some of that here.

We have all heard the little sayings people shoot off at appropriate times. But some of them bug me. Like, 'out of sight, out of mind'. Followed by the ever popular saying, 'abscence makes the heart grow fonder'. Well, which is it? Away and fonder or away and forgotten? Make up your mind!

Or 'a stitch in time saves nine', follwed by, 'haste makes waste'. Well, pick one! Should we act quickly or ponder this over coffee?

What is really at the heart of this is that saying, 'Those that can do, and those that can't teach'. I have been thinking about the teachers in my life. Most of them are forgotten. But a few stand out and will forever. Have you ever met that person, that teacher, who said something to you, encouraged you, took an interest in you, saw something others passed over? It could be anyone in your life who brought you something that you didn't know before. Many people can be your teachers. For me, my dear Grandmother who taught me how to quilt was my teacher. Mr. Mac who pushed me through 3 years of highschool French in 5 months! Now he was something special! That saying really is a jab in the eye to everyone who has ever taken the time to explain something to another human. That saying takes away the great value of sharing wisdom and skills.

This SITE is about teaching and learning, sharing information and experience. All of us CAN DO and all of us TEACH as well.

Therefore I submit that the saying 'those that can do, and those that can't teach' be stricken from the book of sayings and in its place we pencil in the ever meaningful and perenially fresh 'you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose'. All in favour, raise your hand!

2Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:13 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."

What a stupid saying! Too right, I'll eat whatever cake I have! What else would I do with cake? Heck, I'll eat someone else's cake given half a chance!

I've thought of the teaching one on occasion. I did have some phenomenal teachers growing up. On the other hand, I had a few that this saying was no doubt made for. lol!

For myself, I always added a line to it.

"Those who can, do. those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, criticize." lol!

3Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:51 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, Uno, Uno, you are one special gal!! Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

4Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

LoL Uno, your posts are the cherry on top. Razz

I'm fortunate to have had some amazing teachers in my life, though none of them were in any school building. Living is learning, learning is life. Wink

Ok, confession time. I love silly little sayings like these. Embarassed And the cheesier the better. They go to show how different we all see the world and that people are often full of contradictions. Like me! geek

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman.

5Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Measure twice cut once.

http://www.popscoops.com

6Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:45 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ahhh, that stuff in your head you have to get out.

Yep.

Brain Phlegm.

Fortunately, uno, I do not speak alone when I say we all love yours.

7Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:50 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The best teacher is only as good as their best listener.

8Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:09 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Brain phlegm? I hope there's a cure! Next time those telemarketers phone my house wanting money for brain phlegm, I'll be sure to donate. Thanks HillBoy, I never knew what that gummy, thick feeling in my cranium was. Now I know! Explains a LOT!

9Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:14 am

Prairie Chicken

"Use your head to save your heels."

My grandmother was one of my greatest teachers and that was her saying. Taught me to think before heading off across the yard and forgetting something only to have to go all the way back. We have a BIG yard.

10Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:56 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Brain phlegm? I hope there's a cure!

Sadly, I know some chronic cases.

11Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

not exactly a saying, but one of my favorites none the less!!

12Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I LOVE that sign! In fact, have that exact sign hanging in my kitchen, a gift from the daughter. I do love my coffee! And I have been known to do stupid things even when I don't drink coffee.

13Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:52 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

for some reason, even though it was slightly off topic, I just KNEW you would love that sign!! hahaha I have it hanging in my main workspace--- It just makes me smile every time I see it!! although I am not sure what makes me giggle more, the saying or the super forced smile she has!! Laughing

14Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

DH and I have a little agreement between us that we stay away from those cliches, as neither one of us gets them right EVER! It usually ends up something like " don't count your eggs before they are worth two in the bush"! HA, brain phlegm gone caustic.

XOX Monika

15Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:52 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Island Girl wrote:DH and I have a little agreement between us that we stay away from those cliches, as neither one of us gets them right EVER! It usually ends up something like " don't count your eggs before they are worth two in the bush"! HA, brain phlegm gone caustic.

XOX Monika

Oh come on! Saying these things isn't exactly rocket surgery.

lol!

16Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:23 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

'could wait until the cows come home'

or "Stop being a stick in the mud!" Are they saying a stick in the mud is not fun? Come on, give my kids some mud and a stick and I know they will be having fun in minutes!

I love these sayings. The coffee one is one of my favorites too! It makes me laugh!

The "measure twice and cut once", I first heard from my dad when he was teaching me to use a saw. I use and say it when ever I need to cut something (but somehow I still manage to get it wrong sometimes. lol!) I do think it is a smart saying though!

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

17Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:45 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My dad was the sayings master! He always had the more obscure ones.

There was 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

'How does that suit your practised eye?'

'I am never wrong, I may be mistaken, but I am never wrong.'
(to which my husband promptly said 'I am never even mistaken.' I suppose that should have been a warning to me! Laughing )

Dad also really liked this one. When someone, usually a student in his class, would say 'I think.......' He would always reply 'What gives you the conceded idea you have the capacity to think?'

Reading through all these again kinda makes him sound like not a nice guy, but he was. They were always followed by this big smile and little giggle that I appreciate more now, but as a teenager used to make me roll my eyes! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I am sure there are others that I can't think if right now. I have enjoyed reading others posts on this. Some I have heard before and others are new. Gives me a giggle and thoughts of Dad. Thanks.

18Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:11 am

""Ignorance is bliss ""? .....That would explaine all the happy people ?? Shocked

19Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

"Wild horses couldn't drag me away from..."

I'm sorry but, unless I'm the Hulk, I'm pretty sure that even one wild horse could probably drag me anywhere he wanted.

20Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

21Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:39 am

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

When I make a mistake,I respond that, "I didn't say I was perfect, I said I was the best!"

Reg.....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OK you had to post "that one" while I was typing mine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

22Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:48 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

chickeesmom wrote:Better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

^ Haha, I love that one.

"Brains are like mouths; when empty they blather, when full they digest." What a Face Heh, heh.

The "measure twice and cut once", I first heard from my dad when he was teaching me to use a saw. I use and say it when ever I need to cut something (but somehow I still manage to get it wrong sometimes. lol!) I do think it is a smart saying though!

^ My grandfather, a carpenter by trade, was very fond of that saying.
Only after building the 8x6 coop, I’ve since adapted it to “measure thrice, no need to cut twice” Laughing

"Monkey see, monkey do!"

What about the monkeys that prefer to watch? monkey

23Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 am

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:10 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:
Island Girl wrote:DH and I have a little agreement between us that we stay away from those cliches, as neither one of us gets them right EVER! It usually ends up something like " don't count your eggs before they are worth two in the bush"! HA, brain phlegm gone caustic.

XOX Monika

Oh come on! Saying these things isn't exactly rocket surgery.

lol!

If you can't say something nice then its good for the gander! lol! just yanking your chain

XOX Monika

25Stupid sayings Empty Re: Stupid sayings Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rocket surgery? HARDY HAR HAR!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum