Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My birds got disqualified but ...

+8
Fowler
Blue Hill Farm
viczoe
CynthiaM
Justplucky
fuzzylittlefriend
KathyS
Island Girl
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My birds got disqualified but ... Empty My birds got disqualified but ... Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I learned so much stuff this weekend my brain is in overdrive! The Coombs Fair was a blast and I met a lot of very nice people. I ended up volunteering at the tea house all weekend and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. Unfortunately my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen was disqualified because I have one of her wings clipped. One of those small details I had no idea about. Made perfect sense when it was explained to me Embarassed A poultry judge (that was not doing the judging) said that she probably would have won a ribbon, I will know better next year! My roo was disqualified for a telescoping comb, that was a shocker and quite a let down as he is so awesome otherwise. It was suggested that I do not breed him as its genetic. Sigh, guess he is for sale as a 'pet'. Back to square 1!! The judges were awesome and there were so many other chicken people there to talk to and learn from. I think I may be hooked ...

XOX Monika

2My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:04 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I have to admit I don't even know what a telescoping comb is! It sure sounds like you got some valuable feedback that will be very helpful for your breeding program.
Hats off to you for entering your birds! Next time you will be bringing home ribbons for sure. Very Happy

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:03 pm

I second what Kathy said. I don't know what a telescoping comb is either. And congratulations on getting out there and doing this. cheers

Could I see a picture of that comb please, if it's not too much trouble?

Glad you had a good weekend. Way to get out there. Very Happy

4My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

KathyS thank for your kind words Smile A telescoping comb (as it was explained to me) it the last little pointy piece of comb (in a Wyandotte) that is suppose to follow the curve of the back of the head, that goes in instead of out. So think 'undescended testicle' or an 'inny' bellybutton instead of an 'outty'. Oh boy, maybe I better Google this for a more professional sounding explanation. lol
apparently there is a thread of sinew or a something like that that has not released the last little bit of comb. Pullets can get it too but it can release on them but not on a cockerel or a roo. It was suggested that it would be easier to start with a different roo than try to breed it out of the line. I will research it a little more but it doesn't sound like something that I want to try to work with!

XOX Monika

5My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

farmchiq I will get closeups of his head tomorrow and post them. It seems so obvious to me now that I can't believe I never noticed it before. I guess this is how we learn. Shocked it was so awesome for the judge (that was not doing the actual judging) to walk with me and answer all my questions, and boy oh boy did I have a lot of questions!! Embarassed

XOX Monika

6My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:36 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had my silver laced pulled dq in the chilliwack fair for the the same thing! She was ment as a layer anyways but I thought I would see how she did. So no more shows for her.

But yes it is fun and very informative!

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 am

Justplucky

Justplucky
New Here

Poor Mr.Blue...and he is so darn proud and good looking! Good job getting out there and getting the info though! Hats off to you:)

8My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Island Girl, good for you for entering your birds, and yep, you got some valuable information. I had the same thing at a show I entered some of my birds in. Well, kind of the same. None were disqualified (that I know of, not sure what disqualified means, if there is a sign put on the cage or how they let you know), but some words of negative were on the cage cards, like, "type", "condition" (the blue cochin hen had some raggedy looking feathers on her back). So maybe that is was a disqualification looks like. I had a judge that wasn't judging at that particular show tell me the things wrong with a certain breed that I had. There were so many things wrong, and so much that I would have had to improve on, that I decided to not even bother with that particular breed. If I wanted to keep on with that breed, I would obtain good stock to start with, it would have taken me my entire life to probably breed nice birds of these, and I don't have time to wait for that, smiling that big smile.

anyways, it was a very, very valuable learning tool for me, and I loved it too!! Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

Definition of of telescopoe comb, from the Standard of Perfection:

"(1) A pea comb with an indentation at the rear, a disqualification (2) A rose comb with an inverted spike, a disqualification"

9My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulation Monika on taking a chance and stepping out of your comfort zone and taking your birds to your first show. Though your birds did not do well you have picked up some very vaulable information. It can be upsetting to hear that your favorite's are less than perfect but the most important thing is what you choose to do with the infomation. A telescoping comb is a Rosecomb with the spike inverted or a pea comb with an indentation at the rear.Your describtion also works. I my opinion any bird with this fault should not be used for breeding as it is definitely gentic. I have seen people use birds with this problem and it's always come though in the next generation.
So my dear after taking your frist steps to be come more knowledgeable about this fine hobby of exhibition poultry you are now at a cross road, some will continue on regardless of the infomation recievced and others I think like you will choose the path to actually help the breed rather than hinder it by doing the right thing.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

10My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good for you for putting yourself out there. The best learning, imo, comes from our so called failures. Smile

11My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The first (and only) time I tried showing, I found out that a lot of my birds at the time weren't as good as I had thought (mainly the ones from McMurrays, any that I had bought from local breeders did well). Those failures are very educational.

12My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:14 am

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

At least you know what to do next year.

13My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

Good for you for getting out there! We were up in Parksville yesterday and I hadn't realized the fair was on...hubby was too tired to go...I was pretty bummed!!

It's awesome to get feedback either way, good or bad...it's how we learn right? Much better to find out now before you've invested time and energy for years..

14My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Welcome to the Club! Nothing wrong with getting disqualified as long as you are able to learn something to help you. If birds weren't dq'ed we would not learn as quickly as we do. Glad to see you joined the Exhibiting World! Very Happy

15My birds got disqualified but ... Empty Re: My birds got disqualified but ... Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hats off to you Monika! Nothing like jumping in with both feet as a way to learn quickly. I stuck one foot in this weekend, went to the semiar in Red Deer with a few birds and learned alot. And had fun.

I think the important part is you now know more and may be able to further improve the breeds you are working with as a result. I would hate to see some breeds lost forever and it takes some real knowledge to truely "see" all the good and bad to be able to help to retain those traits.

So hard though to know some of your beloved chickens are not a beautiful as you first thought!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum