Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pig feed recipe

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pig feed recipe Empty Pig feed recipe Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:20 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Anyone mix their own pig feed and willing to share the recipe?

2Pig feed recipe Empty Re: Pig feed recipe Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:11 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Apparently nobody makes their's? Or they aren't telling the formula? Hope you find a recipe.  Smile 

3Pig feed recipe Empty Re: Pig feed recipe Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:27 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am looking at getting a mixed batch of feed made at the feed store for a "mini bulk", the nutritionist says the main difference between the hog food and the chicken feed is the calcium, and the calcium can be supplemented after via oyster shell to the poultry. Haven't got it yet.

I am working on a permaculture type plan, where I will have a rotational grazing system for the hogs supplementing with whey and milk from the goats and sheep, veggies from the produce section of the local stores and fodder daily at feeding time. The permaculture pasture blend I have planned has about 18 different perennial legumes and grasses in it, to provide a relatively balanced diet to the pigs. The only thing lacking will be lysine if on pasture only, and that will come from the whey and milk. I'm not there yet though, that's next year's plan.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

4Pig feed recipe Empty Re: Pig feed recipe Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 pm

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

I just came accross your post and just wondering how's it going with your research?

I don't keep any of the bigger livestock just chickens and was looking into cutting back on the manufactured feed and growing my own chicken feed as well...which I'm still working on. So when I saw Islanadgal99 coment that pig feed is about the same as chicken feed I thought maybe I could join in and share what I've been doing and just share some ideas.

I'm leaning towards micro-green and sprouts, also fermentation of sprouted wheat and maybe more. I live in a area which for about 6 months of the year it is either to cold or 6 months where summers are dry as a bone to do a permaculture type plan.

So far this is what I do.......
In a days feeding they get......
4 cups sprouted wheat berries mostly (sometimes a little barley/oats)..
4 cups fermented sprouted wheat berries.....
4 cups BOSS shoots......
6 cups of a cooked corn (which is done by a process called Nixtamalization) and cooked organic soya beans (ratio is about 3 to 1)

I will be adding different lentil sprouts/shoots soon....just gotta make a trip to the local organic granary.

I've been working out natural vitamin and minerals sources, my bump in the road so far is bioavailable forms of Vitamin B12 and D3 in a DIY method that I can implement. For B12 I'm thinking my only choice would be a lquid b12 and for D3 I'm thinking cod liver oil.

food for thought Smile

5Pig feed recipe Empty Re: Pig feed recipe Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:15 am

Galep

Galep

I have a ration calculator just PM me and I will sent it to you work on exel

https://www.facebook.com/Metiers

6Pig feed recipe Empty Re: Pig feed recipe Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:58 pm

okanagan_peppers

okanagan_peppers

Galep wrote:I have a ration calculator just PM me and I will sent it to you work on exel

Thanks Galep Very Happy I PM you

7Pig feed recipe Empty Re: Pig feed recipe Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:29 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks!!

I found this one about adding peas to pig diet (which we do now-- found that the coop in Calgary, not UFA, has really good quality field peas and relatively cheap!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum