Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help.....we have LICE!

+10
Prairie Chick
Pollywog
lanaire-ranching
wyandotte
CynthiaM
fuzzylittlefriend
Fowler
DCChick
authenticfarm
Echo 1
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Help.....we have LICE! Empty Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Having only had Chickens for about a year we are experiencing our first battle with lice.  Gross!  Thankfully my chicken crazy kid practiced good animal husbandry and put the new birds in isolation before adding them to the main flock.  Giving the new girls a good once over she discovered the problem and was able to deal with it quickly.  I understand that lice are much easier to deal with than mites.  The new girls have had Ivermectin added to their water and been given a bath with Ivermectin laced shampoo (thanks for that idea Fuzzy).  Does anyone have an idea when or if I should repeat the treatment?  Any ideas o the life cycle of chicken lice?  How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?  I realize that Ivermectin will not kill the lice eggs so I have to target the creepy crawlies once they hatch.  I can't wait to have the girls clear of these icky pests so we can breed them to our handsome rooster!  We are collecting any feathers that the hens lose and burning them.  Any input would be greatly appreciated! I have to add that I am loving the new girls....such sweet hearts to put up with all of this!

2Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:49 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Get your hands on some Frontline (I order mine off Amazon from the U.S.) and you can also dust them. The dosage is two small drops (I use an eye dropper) for each large fowl.

I have found that with the trifecta of Eprinex-Frontline-Dust, creepy crawlies don't stand a chance, and they don't come back!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:45 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When you order Frontline is there any issue getting it sent or bringing it across the boarder?

4Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:51 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven't experienced any problems.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:35 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Feather lice happens. No big deal. You'll probably want to treat your birds periodically. They'd pick them up eventually.

6Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:54 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sounds like these guys were loaded and were feeling poor because of it.

Ivermectin shampoo...its me hero. I am going to patent a formula I think.

It cured my kids head lice after 3 rounds of toxic shampoo from the pharmacy did not. Shhhh.....

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I always tell clients at the vet clinic where I work that IF your dog is going to get external parasites ...... Lice is the way to go. SO much EASIER than fleas. It's like winning the parasite lottery! We have had fleas and sucking dog lice at our house over the years, given a choice...... I'll take lice every time!

8Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:16 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Personally, I would not bother to import from the states frontline. You can get ivomec pour on from the vets locally, keep it in Canada. Does the same thing. One half an eye dropper, you MUST have enough, or any treatment is useless. The treatment is .5 cc per large fowl, .25 for bantam or youngster. Also, if you do not find an eye dropper with the measure increment on it, find one, smiling. If you cannot find one, go to the pharmacy and get a 1 cc syringe. Use that to make a measurement for your eye dropper and mark the eye dropper or just use your eye for memory of how much .5 cc is. This product is very difficult to overdose on (in such small amounts), so a little over is not to worry about, a little under, ineffective, so must be the proper amount (or a little more). As said, I would not bother to order through the states, takes time and costly. And...at the same time I would dust with the dust designed for lice and mites (these methods are easier than bathing and drying a bird, hats off to those that do bath though, I can't be bothered). The product is at any feed store, can't recall the name. Sit down, put bird on your lap, turn over so bird is on back on your lap, they will look up at you between your legs, and say "what?" , smiling. Take that powder and shake the can (or I put the powder in a bucket and put the powder in a cheap dollar store metal salt shaker with a handle) and shake the powder all over the belly, around the vent, gently help to move around that dry stuff, turn the bird over, legs between your legs so they can't get a foothold and jump off, and do the same to the neck area, the back and above the vent. So ya, however you dustbath with the lice kill product, get it all over the bird. I do not worry about a dust mask this way, as the dust does not go everywhere, only on the bird. I can't stand lice. Had them once here, when a couple of birds came for a visit for a little while to break them of broodiness. I used the dust bath and the ivomec and three weeks later the girls went home. The lice were gone when they left and did not return. I helped the person out who had these gals and she didn't realize there was lice present. She worked hard to get her flock all clean of parasites (and think she still is). Bi-annual treatment with ivomec keeps them 100% clean of mites (and lice too). I am mite free and have been for quite some long time now (over a year and a half). Sorry for such a convoluted post, but just wanted to say, smiling. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

9Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:31 am

wyandotte

CynthiaM wrote:Personally, I would not bother to import from the states frontline.  You can get ivomec pour on from the vets locally, keep it in Canada.  Does the same thing.  One half an eye dropper, you MUST have enough, or any treatment is useless.  The treatment is .5 cc per large fowl, .25 for bantam or youngster.  Also, if you do not find an eye dropper with the measure increment on it, find one, smiling.  If you cannot find one, go to the pharmacy and get a 1 cc syringe.  Use that to make a measurement for your eye dropper and mark the eye dropper or just use your eye for memory of how much .5 cc is.  This product is very difficult to overdose on (in such small amounts), so a little over is not to worry about, a little under, ineffective, so must be the proper amount (or a little more).  As said, I would not bother to order through the states, takes time and costly.  And...at the same time I would dust with the dust designed for lice and mites (these methods are easier than bathing and drying a bird, hats off to those that do bath though, I can't be bothered).  The product is at any feed store, can't recall the name.  Sit down, put bird on your lap, turn over so bird is on back on your lap, they will look up at you between your legs, and say "what?" , smiling.  Take that powder and shake the can (or I put the powder in a bucket and put the powder in a cheap dollar store metal salt shaker with a handle) and shake the powder all over the belly, around the vent, gently help to move around that dry stuff, turn the bird over, legs between your legs so they can't get a foothold and jump off, and do the same to the neck area, the back and above the vent.  So ya, however you dustbath with the lice kill product, get it all over the bird.  I do not worry about a dust mask this way, as the dust does not go everywhere, only on the bird.  I can't stand lice.  Had them once here, when a couple of birds came for a visit for a little while to break them of broodiness.  I used the dust bath and the ivomec and three weeks later the girls went home.  The lice were gone when they left and did not return.  I helped the person out who had these gals and she didn't realize there was lice present.  She worked hard to get her flock all clean of parasites (and think she still is).  Bi-annual treatment with ivomec keeps them 100% clean of mites (and lice too).  I am mite free and have been for quite some long time now (over a year and a half).  Sorry for such a convoluted post, but just wanted to say, smiling.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Cynthia, what is the withdraw time for eating eggs with the use of Ivomec? If I remember correctly, somebody mentioned that there isn't a withdraw time for Frontline.

10Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

NO withdrawl for ivomec. Its commonly used as a dewormer in people.

11Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Remember its used off label for poultry so there are not really any set guidline just people and their experience

12Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

so no withdrawal for eating eggs? what about hatching eggs? what are your thoughts on that? I wanted to treat mine, but am thinking of holding off so that I can start collecting eggs for hatching... but if I can treat and still collect-- bonus

13Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks again for all the great info...I am happy to report the new girls are doing great!  Happy happy in their new digs enjoying the fresh grass and eating like little piggies.  They may have learned that if you don't seem to be eating enough the chicken crazy daughter will stuff you (gently) in a fabric sling and hang you from a luggage scale.  The new chicks are weighed daily and the bigger birds at least once a month.  Weights are recorded and body condition carefully monitored.... If only she had applied such diligence to her school work..... sigh.  Cynthia, thanks for the Ivomec pour on info.  Our hay broker also raises cattle and he generously donated some Ivomec for the cause.  We have used the injectable ivermectin in their water but a 1/2 cc pour on to the back of the neck seems so much easier. No guessing..just DONE.  I will post pictures of the new girls once they feather up a bit, I am so excited to see how they will cross with our handsome rooster from Cynthia M.  SPRING is HERE!

14Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:04 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We just dealt with this. A mites and lice double whammy (new chickens came with buddies). I dusted first, then did frontline and ivermectin. After 1 week everyone was clear. You can also put clean wood ash in their dusting area. Not sure how it helps but it's an option as well.

15Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use front line every 4 months, double squirt on the butt skin. I also use the no pest strips, they get changed every 3 or 4 months.

16Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:24 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I use Eprinex pour on, but there is a 7 day withdrawal time for the eggs.  No withdraw for milk, because of how the drug metabolizes within the system.  No pest strip...but the best is the Sulphur powder in the dust bath.  My chickens once treated with the Eprinex have not shown any signs of mites or lice after 6 months now.  ..it has a residual effect. Apparently 25% ratio to the rest of the ingredients you use in your dust bath.
If people are given wormers, it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a withdrawal time. People get all sorts of things but it doesn't mean i want to eat that medicine. The data of 7 days, is from actual measurements of the drug residue in the eggs.

17Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Bigrock, what is your literature source for that 7-day withdrawal time?

18Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would also like to know. Because again its off label use. Pour on as well there are NO set guidlines for poultry use.

19Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

you know..i looked for it, and couldn't find it again. I pour through literature, studies done on birds. and i save all of the data that i find. I as looking for this last week,for hours.... and came across many studies that all showed the same timelines. So, i write it down in my book.
If i come across the studies again, i will post them here..

20Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You know, if you search for Eprinex poultry egg withdrawal, you will see there are lists saying anywhere from 5 days to 7 days to 10 to 4-6 weeks.

A few folks posted their vets had told them the withdrawal period and most of them have 7-10 days (from the vet).

I am not sure I would equate the withdrawal time for milk and meat the same as eggs, in particular when the withdrawals are listed for completely other species.

From another list:

***Info re Egg withdrawal.

Medications require different amounts of time to be eliminated entirely from the hens body.

Many drugs have an established withdrawal period because the appropriate testing has been done.

In many cases the egg withdrawal period is for the duration of the treatment plus one week after.

If drugs are prescribed by a vet as off label,  (ie a non approved drug to treat a specific set of symptoms, based on clinical expertise), no specified withdrawal period may exist.

In this case, you may be advised to withdraw the eggs for 28 days.

Reasons for egg withdrawal.

Certain drugs are absorbed into the hens body. First into the blood stream and tissues, and is then eliminated via the liver and kidneys. Drugs are eliminated at different rates.

Substances can be deposited in eggs 10 days before the egg is laid so if using a medication for meat birds, it may be prudent to add 10 days to any specified withdrawal period.

Antibiotic residues in meat and eggs may cause a severe reaction in individuals who are allergic to antibiotics. A disturbance of the gut flora may also occur.

--------------------

I have a paper on Lice/Mites from the university of Davis in California.. if you want a copy email me and I would be happy to forward to you. (I don't see anywhere where I can attach a PDF doc)

21Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Since we're talking about withdrawal times and off label use anyway I guess I'll mention it...

I know a guy who keeps show birds. He uses Raid. A spritz under each wing, in the back of the neck and in the fluff around the vent. He swears by it.

22Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:28 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler, I have read somewhere that Raid is used but I can't seem to bring myself to try it...Thankfully things appear to be under control So no need for RAID!!!!!!

Last edited by Echo 1 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

23Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:59 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Since we're talking about withdrawal times and off label use anyway I guess I'll mention it...

I know a guy who keeps show birds.  He uses Raid.  A spritz under each wing, in the back of the neck and in the fluff around the vent.  He swears by it.

Certainly cheap, easy to use and relatively safe.

The active ingredient in Raid is Permetherin.  

One of the most effective broad-spectrum insecticides is permethrin. Permethrin has a significant residual activity, thus making it ideal for treating poultry housing and equipment. At reduced concentrations, permethrin can also be applied directly to the bird.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/2-5/laura_e_john/

24Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Is this the paper you're referring to, Cathy? It looks really good.
http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

No reference to withdrawal time or Eprinex, though.
There's a difference between precautionary advice and research results; I would love to see the latter on this subject.

25Help.....we have LICE! Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes to sue on the permethrin. I have used horse fly spray just for fun after cleaning the coop on roosts etc. Smells nice ...........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum