Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lice & Mites

+3
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
bigrock
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lice & Mites Empty Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:28 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have just thoroughly inspected my Rooster "Tony", and although i had already thoroughly inspected him...this time i saw a little skittery thing, then another...so damn.....lice.. Went out to the coop and checked some hens.  Some are perfectly clean, and others actually have clusters of eggs on their feather shafts.
So, what I am understanding is Eprinex and that there is no withdrawal period for the eggs?...then get a no pest strip...
damn...how could i have missed the little things?
Treated Tony with ivermec pour on and some sevin dust and he should be up and pipper in a few days.

bounce bounce bounce 
2nd want to share what i had read about mites.  "They" apparently did a study at Univ of California on chicken mites and found by putting elemental sulphur into the dust bathing area a majority of the mites were gone after 3 weeks, and another 2 weeks showed complete eradication.  
I have always used DE in the dust area, and wood ash, dirt, sand and peat moss too...now will look for some sulphur to add to it.

Last edited by bigrock on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, Eprinex is great.

Don't beat yourself up. When you have chickens you will eventually get parasites.

Not you...the chickens.

I use Frontline for mites. Did the study say anything about the detrimental aspects of sulphur...if any?

3Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:01 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2915.2011.00997.x/abstract

no ill effects were mentioned...but i didn't purchase the whole study..perhaps i will write to the author
wrote the author...will see if i can get a full copy of the article

link is above

4Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting! Please let us know what the author says. Those darned Cornish of mine are mite magnets. I have to be constantly on them.

5Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:21 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Very interesting!  Please let us know what the author says.  Those darned Cornish of mine are mite magnets.  I have to be constantly on them.
Hmmm ... I will have to check ABoyNamedSue. Was going to deworm/Frontline the youngsters shortly anyway, get them before they start laying.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This Saturday I plan to give my second dose of ILT vaccine and give them a couple drops of Frontline while I am handling them anyway. It would be delightful if sulphur powder had no residual effects in eggs and meat. I would put it is their dust baths and cut out a time consuming and costly procedure.

Saturday should be above zero. About mid day if you dropped by my place you would see me wearing cover alls, fancy magnifying glasses, an LED headlamp on my head, wire dog pen in one hand and ILT and mite meds in the other. Quite a sight to behold. I had three children helping me with the last inoculation. It was great. We used the dog pen to isolate the chickens. One kid went in and grabbed chickens while the other two brought them out to me. I medicated them and the 'carriers' freed the chickens outside and went back for more. Very efficient. This weekend I am alone. Sad 

7Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authenticfarm wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:Very interesting!  Please let us know what the author says.  Those darned Cornish of mine are mite magnets.  I have to be constantly on them.
Hmmm ... I will have to check ABoyNamedSue. Was going to deworm/Frontline the youngsters shortly anyway, get them before they start laying.
It is very cool you have a dk cornish called ABoyNamedSue, got a chuckle inside me and my mouth won't stop smirking. Razz 

Now I must go check my chickies. Want to get some blue cellophane for my headlamp and see if that works well. where exactly do we check? legs, butts?? full body grope?

8Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:12 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:
It is very cool you have a dk cornish called ABoyNamedSue, got a chuckle inside me and my mouth won't stop smirking.  Razz 
He's a White Cornish. He came from a lovely lady named Sue (*coughcoughschipperkesuecoughcough*) whilst he was just an egg, and in the grand tradition of old farmers, I named him after the person I got him from. And then he turned into a cockerel, and now he is officially called ABoyNamedSue. And I go in the coop and chant, "My name is Sue! How do you do! Now you gonna die!" and then I laugh a little, and contemplate eating Sue, because he is so plump and juicy and warm and I can just picture him covered in gravy and surrounded by mashed potatoes.

When I check for mice and lice, I grab them and lift feathers up on their backs, bums, legs, under the wings, and in the crests (if they are crested). No buggies, no problem. I try to grab at least one chicken a day to check for bugs. My initial trio had bugs, but I wiped them out with the Eprinex/Frontline combo and now I do it every three months or so as a preventative, and to any new birds before they get added to the main coop.

I am big on prevention.

9Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Beep

Beep

We had a lice issue this summer.  Found eggs under the wings and in the muffs (we have EEs and ameraucanas), lice just below and around the vent.  Actually gave a couple that were really bad a bath... but that was when it was 30C here Laughing Now, we dust.  Regularly.  With DE or wood ash, whatever's handy.  Also did the whole flock with Ivomec in their water; withdrawal time 1 week.  Good luck.

Last edited by Beep on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling. Geesh.)

10Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:13 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Saturday should be above zero.  About mid day if you dropped by my place you would see me wearing cover alls, fancy magnifying glasses, an LED headlamp on my head, wire dog pen in one hand and ILT and mite meds in the other.  Quite a sight to behold.  I had three children helping me with the last inoculation.  It was great.  We used the dog pen to isolate the chickens.  One kid went in and grabbed chickens while the other two brought them out to me.  I medicated them and the 'carriers' freed the chickens outside and went back for more.  Very efficient.  This weekend I am alone.  Sad 
You should borrow some 4-H kids.

11Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:37 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:This Saturday I plan to give my second dose of ILT vaccine  Sad 
What is this vaccine Sue?

12Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:31 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dust schmust! Who wants to be dealing with or inhaling that stuff? I was a big rotenone user until I discovered that a) it doesn't work and b) it is a health hazard.

Once I got onto the Eprinex, No Pest strip combo, I threw my dust away forever and good riddance to it, I say!

Due to vagaries of weather, the ground being frozen solid or not, and the desire of the birds to dust bathe, or not, I find leaving their treatment up to their own choice was simply not effective enough.

In my experience, crawlers are on the birds, or not. You can check your birds for crawlers, find none and FALSELY assume your birds are mite free. WRONG! Mites do not always live on your bird, they live in your hen house and creep out at night to feed on your birds. TO truly check for mites, enter your dark hen house at night and nestle your hand into the bedding of a nest box. If you have mites..wait for it...wait for it... they will be crawling up your arm! Or if the arm test gives you the heebijeebies, look very closely at the roost at night for what looks like tiny, shiny black specks. Moving. Squish one. Blood comes out. Mites.

Having gotten the lice/mites under control with some repeated applications of Eprinex and then hanging a No Pest strip, I have not had to use the Eprinex in at least two years now. I have had no scaley leg mite either.

13Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:16 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authenticfarm wrote:
Magdelan wrote:
It is very cool you have a dk cornish called ABoyNamedSue, got a chuckle inside me and my mouth won't stop smirking.  Razz 
He's a White Cornish. He came from a lovely lady named Sue (*coughcoughschipperkesuecoughcough*) whilst he was just an egg, and in the grand tradition of old farmers, I named him after the person I got him from. And then he turned into a cockerel, and now he is officially called ABoyNamedSue. And I go in the coop and chant, "My name is Sue! How do you do! Now you gonna die!" and then I laugh a little, and contemplate eating Sue, because he is so plump and juicy and warm and I can just picture him covered in gravy and surrounded by mashed potatoes.

When I check for mice and lice, I grab them and lift feathers up on their backs, bums, legs, under the wings, and in the crests (if they are crested). No buggies, no problem. I try to grab at least one chicken a day to check for bugs. My initial trio had bugs, but I wiped them out with the Eprinex/Frontline combo and now I do it every three months or so as a preventative, and to any new birds before they get added to the main coop.

I am big on prevention.
sounds like the whole-full-complete body search, I should call the DHS from down south of the invisible line Twisted Evil  need a new scan machine for chickens:suspect:  (Goodness, what am I saying there??). Some of my girls feel like they have been abused when I give a tickle on their necks so they will be filing paperwork for lawsuits after I've checked them out for mites and lice! jeepers, tired, might not be able to complete sentences now, maybe not even a lick of sense.

Glad you are good buddies with Sue Very Happy . Not everyone would think that was a form of flattery but I find it just groovy, being as I also like Johnny Cash (especially Ghost Riders on the Storm) and cornish chickens. I have two roosters who I originally thought were roosterettes and they are both called Judy (buff orp and buff orp x partridge silkie). no real good explaination of how that came about but I try not to laugh when I go to see them. sensitive souls pirat 

ok. serious serious now. does eprinex/frontline combo come in a packet I can buy at the supermarket or do I need to go to my vet? I know I can't be offended that cold doesn't kill pretty much anything except mosquitoes here but it sure does suck. whoops, that was a pun. Razz  I go to sleep now.cyclops 

14Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:57 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eprinex comes in a half litre bottle from the vet.  It is expensive.  You may want to link up with another chicken person to purchase some.

Frontline can only be bought in the US and is a dog/cat med.  I buy mine through eBay.  It is off label for chickens and comes in tiny drop-on vials.  As far as safety and withdrawl goes, I read a breakdown from a chicken owner/vet from California.  His description was that a person would have to chug down a whole package worth in order to be adversely affected by it.  

ILT inoculation is a two part med.   You mix the two parts in an eye dropper bottle and must drop the blue liquid into the eye of a chicken.  The med expires quickly when mixed so you have to act fast.  

I will try to find a recent discussion Tara started on ILT.

15Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:33 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy, we are back to this again. Don’t get me wrong, this is powerful stuff, these lessons a’learnin’. It is a very good topic, worth lots of speaking about, links to other topics that discuss medications and how they work and so on. So let's go. I have to firstly say I am not a believer in Eprinex. I used to, yes, and I used Exprinex in the past. And I wonder sometimes if I was underdosing my birds. I don't know. but what I do know. Eprinex did not have any effect on the northern mite that I had at our farm. I have never had lice on the farm, so cannot speak to that. Period. It did not work for me. and I received a bird that I did not realize was loaded with mites from someone, that remains private, and that person had always used eprinex for control. Try as hard as they could to eradicate any mites present, it clearly did not work for her too, maybe she too was underdosing. I know a strict regimen was at that farm too. I do not believe in the drug eprinex and will never use it again, because of that reason.

When I had a horrid mite infestation that would blow your mind, in the fall of 2012 I used frontline. It worked. The mites were mostly eradicated. I ran out of frontline and resorted to ivomec pour on for cattle. Same dosage. .5 cc in a eye dropper on the neck. In the spring I checked my chickens. Not one bird had mites. I have done the dusting, and I also think that that is a very effective method for fast kill too. The method for dusting I have employed was simple. So guess I use both, dusting and liquid product -- but now things are under control, I believe, I think I will not require to dust birds again. I checked my chickens this fall. Not one bird had mites. As I said though, I do not have lice. I treated them all with ivomec regardless. I don’t ever want to see that pest again in my chickens.

There is still not one single bit of evidence that there are any mites present. When a bird has mites, be that red or northern mite, there is usually signs of distress. Like a bird not well, listless, if no physical signs of any illness, I would certainly expect mites (or lice). Again, I do not have chicken lice here, never ever once seen one in all the bums and bodies I have inspected. Not one of my birds has any mite clusters on the feathers, there is no rough or scaley or damaged looking skin, which the northern mite can cause. I have seen that appearance of chickens' vental areas when the mites are present, and it looks like they are very agitated and sore, the skin is reddish off colour, and has crusties. The mites irritate the skin terribly and I think it would be somewhat painful when the load is heavy. Sigh. I hope never to deal with northern mite again. I can honestly say, using frontline originally and continuing use with ivomec pour on has and will be my saviour from this dread.

Mites can come from anywhere. Birds of the wild that fly into the yard, is a good example. We must keep on top of knowing if the mite (or lice, but I think chicken lice are host specific, only in the poultry world, not other species of wild, but not sure about that, cause so few dealings with that). Back on the coast, yes, we dealt with chicken lice, absolutely no northern mite, that I knew of.

I don’t doubt for a minute that the no pest strip works in smaller areas. I do not have small, closed in coops. There is lots of areas in the soffit where air escapes and the coops are very roomy. So I think far too many pest strips would be required for my main coop. The smaller coop, maybe, but I might need two. They are expensive, and I find the pour on ivomec cattle stuff works very effectively. I at one time did have the no pest strips, but found them not cost effective for my liking.

I do know that I helped out a friend that has a mite and louse problem and I dust bathed with the poultry lice duster and ivomec. The birds were with me for about 3 weeks and there was no recurrence of the lice or mite at our farm when they left. I checked deeply.

If you have a big mite infestation, you will see the eggs. The eggs and mites live in big huge clusters of thousands of mites along the feather shaft below the vent. Behind and upwards of the back legs. You will see it. The feathers look dirty and if you pull off a feather that is infested, you will see millions of mites all clustered along that feather. Guess that is where they live and breed, and travel then off that cluster to go and suck the living daylights out of the bird. I guess. Not sure, but when I had that horrid infestation, that is what I saw and it rocked me to my very soul that this could have gotten so bad and so out of control so quickly. That would have been early September of last year. I will never forget my horror of what I saw and will never again be in a position to experience this. Because I keep on top of the mite situation, and yes, I check many birds every few weeks to see if I see even one. I ALWAYS look to the feathers well below the vent as well. That is where the mites, if they are northern mite, will live. If they are red mite, they will feed on the bird and then leave to roost in the other areas not on the roost.

Chicory Farm has a great thread on her dealings with the red mite. Hers was not the northern mite. It was the red mite and she was on a huge program that took some time. But she eventually eradicated that pest in her henhouses. She has a good number of smaller coops and there was only one or two affected. I will see if I can find her post.

But I suspect it is the northern mite. Much more simple to deal with, as the mite lives on the bird. Sounds like I am a professional at mite eradication. I am. Truly believe I am 

Yes, so bringing some pictures to this thread of what a feather looks like when it has a massive infestation of millions of mites and those egg clusters. This is shocking and I am not afraid to kiss and tell. I had horrid mite issues, that would leave ya cryin’ in your hands. Hope that you get this under control, anyone that has mite issues. Check your birds ventral areas, under the wings and neck (and yes I guess the pom poms too on the top of the head  ). Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

This is a feather that I had pulled off. There were about 6 feathers in total that had infestation like this, on this particular bird. It is embarrassing, to think things had got this out of control. But, I need to share, and so I bow my head as I put on a picture for all to see. To learn a lesson, to understand how awful these can get out of control, so quickly. This is probably the WORST CASE scenario that could be, but it can happen before you even blink the eye. Enlarge the photo and you get a really good picture of what was going on. Any feather that had any display of the mite clusters was removed. This helped to make it much easier to deal with smaller numbers of the pest.

Lice & Mites Northernfowlmiteonfeather-Copy2_zpse34c70c6

There have been some wonderful threads on northern fowl mite. Please do a search for “mite”, if you do “northern mite” all kinds of threads will come up with the word “northern”, use only “mite”.

This is the method that Chicory Farm used on her birds to eradicate the red mite – this is the post on the thread and her reply is #12 post. She used the dusting powder, on a strict regimen and it worked for her....

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t9189-lice-mites

16Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thank you wise panel for your sharing of knowledge. that is a yucky sight in your picture CynthiaM. Shocked  Very helpful though, photographs really say 1000 words. I really don't want to find that. dealing with hang over today, turned out not a good one for seek and destroy lice and mites. if they have them they will have to keep them at least one more day. pale 

17Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today was a fabulous day for me to search and destroy lice and mites!

I was both pleased and dismayed. Last time I demited was June, and then only the adult birds. I used Frontline then and now.

I was pleased to see my flocks were relatively mite and louse free. A few of the Cornish had mites, a lot fewer than I would have expected. There were no mite or lice on the silkies, Cochins, Ameraucana, Marans or Houdan crosses.

I was horribly dismayed to see varying numbers of mites and lice in my Houdan and Crevecouer crests. Some were clean and some were infested. However, I did notice a correlation between dirty and infested crests which will help alert me if I have a mite problem in light coloured birds in the future.

I took great pleasure dropping the Frontline directly on the mites as they ran away. Instant death!

One last thing. There is some misunderstanding out there over how a drop on parasite control works. I have heard it described that the drops spread over the bird's skin. Not so, according to my vet. The drops absorb into the skin and travel over the bird through the fat layer. I like to drop the med where the mites are most profuse, but my vet says this is not necessary as the med spreads, the whole bird has an armour of mitey protection!

18Lice & Mites Empty Re: Lice & Mites Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:04 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote: However, I did notice a correlation between dirty and infested crests which will help alert me if I have a mite problem in light coloured birds in the future.  
One last thing.  There is some misunderstanding out there over how a drop on parasite control works.  I have heard it described that the drops spread over the bird's skin.  Not so, according to my vet.  The drops absorb into the skin and travel over the bird through the fat layer.  I like to drop the med where the mites are most profuse, but my vet says this is not necessary as the med spreads, the whole bird has an armour of mitey protection!
I totally and 100% agree with what you are saying about the appearance of "dirty" feathers. That is what alerted me to look farther down the ventral area with the birds when I had that awful mite infection. when I was looking for mites, and saw a few running on the skin of the ventral area, I clearly recall thinking, "oh good, not too bad". At that same time I was looking and I thought, wow, some pretty dirty feathers down there and had a better looked. This was what shook me to my very soul. Those dirty feathers were not dirty feathers, although appeared so. Those were where the mite clusters were living. In those feathers that were about 4 inches below the actual vent itself. I could not believe my eyes, I still recall that overwhelming and sickening feeling, of what have I done? To not notice these dirty looking feathers before and checked things out. Not all feathers were affected. On the worst bird, only about 6 feathers actually had the hanging clusters of millions of mites, as shown in the picture. It really shook my world. I thought because I only saw a few mites moving on the skin, that the birds MUST have been RELATIVELY low in mite numbers. Absolutely not so.

My strongest advice is yes, for sure LOOK FOR MITES. But your biggest helper will be to look a little bit further down the area below the vent and look for horrible dirty feathers. I do not mean just poopy feathers, look for what appears to be dirty, thick, dusty looking feathers. If you see a feather like that, remove it and have a good look. You may have a massive cluster of millions of mites living on that feather, close to the entire length of that feather. Ich. Hope that no else ever deals with this, it is not nice. Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum