Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIR's for eggs & meat

+10
Magdelan
authenticfarm
chickenhoarder
TruNorth
yardbirds23
KathyS
Echo 1
Butterboy
Farmer Bob
Kimberly K
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:12 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing   Yes, that had me curious too, Kimberly K.  I don't think I've ever seen an Albino chicken.  I suppose if it had been 100% albino it would have had red eyes, like the rats and rabbits and things?

Chickenhoarder, your project sounds like a good one...really interesting.  Hope it continues to go in the right direction for you.  Keep us posted!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

27RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

Oh right!

Kathy, I was going to ask where you got your original strain of the rose comb RIR's?

28RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you pm or email me I can provide contact info.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

29RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 am

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

Email sent. Thanks.

30RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

chickenhoarder wrote:I have spent the last three years, breeding my RIR's to become a better chicken, at least in my own eyes, I started with buying birds from each of Rodchesters, Millers and McMurry's. I have kept all of the largest for breeding and I have noticed a reasonable difference in the last two generations. But still my roosters look like footballs compared to a meat bred chickens beach ball shape. The laying ability hasn't changed at all. Hopefully as I spend more time with this, and learn what it takes to "improve" my RIR's I won't of taken any wrong turns. At least I can eat my mistakes and I'm enjoying the experience.

We bred RIR long enough to Achieve APA Grand Master in them. I tried making them meatier but I finally had to come to terms with the fact that the males are not meant to produce good roasting birds. For proper body conformation, their breast bone sits too high and can make a meaty bird look bony. When I selected for more meaty looking breasts, I started loosing the "brick" shape that is a key characteristic of the breed. With their long backs, they are meant to look more like a football and if you are ever successful in breeding a beach ball shaped carcass, it will no longer be a RIR. Wrong body type.

As a dual purpose bird, I feel the proper standard bred RIR is best suited as a fryer, where the high breast bone doesn't diminish "bag" appeal. The good news is that fryers are more versatile in the kitchen and if you cut them up before freezing, they take up much less room in the freezer.

Part of heritage breed conservation is learning HOW to use the breeds as they were intended rather than trying to force them into a niche they are not suited for.

http://www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

31RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:01 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just saw this post for some reason. It brings back some fond memories for me. I remember a time in the late 90's at the Northland's show when they were holding a national for Rhode Island Reds and there was a entry of around 80-90 large fowl, what a sight it was to behold, and so many fine birds and great breeders of that time in the Alberta area like Pat Tully, Mr. Rhode Island. There would have been bantams too but I don't remember the number entered. Anyway I had the breed at the time and I had the pleasure of winning Champion Rhode Island Red, and Ch. Large Fowl or Res. on a cockerel. I have a picture of that bird hanging right near me here. A fine specimen with great type and a beautiful back.

It's totally amazing to me how the large fowl RIR disappeared over time, which is really too bad as their were many many fine breeders and birds at one time in western Canada, especially in Alberta. Sad really, but a nice walk down memory lane.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

32RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty RIR for meat or show Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 pm

chickenhoarder

chickenhoarder
New Here

I must of been misunderstood, I have been breeding two FARM versions of RIR's. One for size and one for pea combs. I have been breeding them for my own uses and enjoyment and have never intended for them to be anything but my own hobby. I know they will never be show birds and I have no interest in that direction. I want a chicken that is both useful for meat and eggs. I thought this thread was about useful backyard dual purpose breeds, so I thought I would just mention what I have been trying to accomplish. I just want a useful chicken like every farm would of had years ago. I just happen to like the color of a RIR. I have my own belief that breeding anything for show is the start of a slow down ward turn to the worst. I didn't for a minute intend for anybody to think that they were bred to "heritage conservation standards" but to farm eating standards.

33RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47 am

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well one of us is being misunderstood Wink

I like what you are doing and feel it is valuable. I'm just expressing concern about how we use breed labels. Rhode Island Red is not a colour. It's is a specific body type and can be covered with either white or the deep red mahogany wheaton feathers. Maybe if you consider the breed in it's white form this will become clearer. We have many other breeds that are single combed, yellow legged, and come in white. Leghorns and commercial meat birds come to mind. Show quality or not, we can easily tell them apart because of body shape. Nobody would ever breed a Leghorn to look like a meat bird in fleshing and then still entertain the idea of still calling them Leghorns. Well the same is true of the RIR.

What you are doing is valuable, but I think it will hold more value if you embrace what it is, rather than pretend it is something it is not.

There is also an issue of respect. I'll give you another example. I'm breeding a variety of cucumber that I feel is the best I've ever grown or eaten. It's called Diva and was bred by a company in the US. However, to make it fit my breeding program and marketing needs, I had to change a couple qualities. In making these changes, my seedline is no longer representing the original breeder's work. It would be dishonest of me to continue calling it Diva but I also wanted to give credit to the original breeder. Therefore I now call the variety "Northern Diva" with an explanation of the changes I made.

http://www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

34RIR's for eggs & meat - Page 2 Empty Re: RIR's for eggs & meat Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:22 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Omega blue, I think that was a great explanation of what you were trying to convey, and makes perfect sense to me. Thank you.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum