Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

wheat grass for the chooks - photos

+3
Karaandblue
authenticfarm
Magdelan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

actually we wanted it for the cats, the chooks and ourselves (to juice, but we haven't go a juicer yet so I'll hold off until we get one) but for me, it was all about the chooks  Twisted Evil .   I am a 100% carnivorous foodie, like my steak bleeding and I like it more than I get it but all credit to this new discovery, it is an amazing food, check out this link:

http://www.foodalive.org/articles/wheatgrass.htm

This youtube shows a good way to grow it, you need the hard wheat and not the soft wheat (used for flour I understand).  

So we grew two trays following the instructions in the youtube and yesterday I took a tray out to the girls.  They surprised me, granted they had already had some nice grain treats but it was as if they were poo-poohing the offering, a few had a little investigation but everyone turned away within a few minutes, maybe they don't like to be watched eating such a delicacy  -  can't say that I've noticed this before though  Razz .  I think I have spoiled them.  Maybe they thought I was up to no good and it was a trap!  Most likely it was that they had already filled their tum's with goodies and needed to spend time digesting that first.

So I took it to the other coops, the bachelors had a bit of a forage, the bantam coop didn't need asking twice but they are small with small stomachs so after they had their go I took it back to the layer pen and left it with them for an hour or so.  When I went out again they had pruned it down fairly well.  I have it inside again trying to recover.  Guess it took a week to get to eating stage.  The youtube says you can take two cuttings for juicing but we are feeding to the chickens like a patch of lawn so will be interesting to see how it goes.  It's only potting mix, not sure what is nutritionally rich in that but mostly it is the chlorophyll that we are after and that is not from the soil I don't think.  Here are some pics
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Wheat_10
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Wheat_11
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Wheat_12
not all are bantams, there are three roosters in this coop who are not so "in your face" personality types that would not manage to be with the bigger guys so they are hanging with the bantams  -  and despite his smaller size, Henry the 8th is still the top dude in this coop (white cochin bantam).  Mrs Cochin is the black girl there, she laid her second egg this morning!  so exciting.  It is about the same size as some of the large fowl pullets new eggs.  
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos In_to_10
wheat grass in recovery beside it's twin
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos In_rec10
and while this was happening I was accompanied by one of the cats, Daniel Jackson (named after the geeky yet very handsome nerd in Stargate).  Including because it was so funny to watch him in his awkward decent  -  he and his sister have often been creeping stalkers on the chooks, one day they think they will achieve their dream.  Not if the rooster can help it!  
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Daniel10
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Daniel11
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Daniel12

2wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:34 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I grow wheat grass almost annually as part of the decor for the bridal show I run. It's so easy and cheap!

I went looking for my seed trays outside today, but no luck finding them. Can't remember where I stashed them. I thought it would be nice to grow some greens for the bokkers, but I'll have to come up with a plan B for containers. I got the wheat part done, filled up a tote bin from one of my husband's bins of grain. Being married to a farmer has its perks!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Authentic do you have a picture of how you use the wheat grass for your bridal shoots? got my mind wondering. It sure does stand out as almost glow in the dark vibrant against the snowy background, quite stunning. Ya, cheap and couldn't be easier. Very handy having grain on tap like that :-). I keep all my gardening stuff in a boat that has a tarp over it (was here when we bought the place, one day would like to see about fixing it up for a lake trip or two) and happily someone gave us some extra seed raising trays so didn't have to buy any. I wonder if kitty litter trays might also be good? so long as don't over water they could be excellent - shallow and big enough for everyone to get their head around the "table". I can't wait to see the color of the yolks after they have had several sessions on the grass, just has to be good for that!

4wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Authentic - trade some trays for seed?

5wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:38 pm

I am going to look further into wheatgrass - for myself!

I read the website you providied Magdelan, and my only question, to anyone who might know, not to you in particular, and maybe to nobody, but my only question is, if it is stated that it is destructive to 'bad bacteria' in the body, what's to stop it also destroying good bacteria?  Anyone?

If I start growing it for myself I will certainly grow a few trays for my hens and cat as well.  Very Happy

Last edited by farmchiq on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelled Magdelan's name wrong the first time.)

6wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I grow wheat grass for the rabbits too! In the winter especially they love it. I grow trays of oat grass for the dairy cows. My ducks destroy the grass if I give it to the birds. My ducks and chickens are together. I just sprout some grain for those guys. It really helps to keep the weight on all of the animals. And giving a tray a day to a dairy cow (or goat) will make the winter milk creamier and the body condition better on the animals too.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

7wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:21 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Karaandblue wrote:Authentic - trade some trays for seed?

Sounds doable. And an excuse to visit!

8wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

In the UK they have big commercial systems to grow barley like this for winter fodder for cattle and other livestock. Its pretty cool and the animals just love tucking into a big mat of greenery in the middle of winter!

9wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:27 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

So much fun eh? I grow wheatgrass for us for juicing and have grown it for the chooks too. Last year I made lots and made a cool post about it, which I will link to. It has some interesting pictures about my juicer, the wheat grass growing and the chooks munching. You are wise to grow this for the birds, packed FULL of nutrients, sprouted grains and young greens are great for anything that eats them. Loved the pictures of the chooks with munchies. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Lost story, but a good read Smile

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t6920-wheat-grass-juicing-and-a-very-long-story?highlight=grass

10wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey CynthiaM, thanks for posting that thread. So good to get other peoples experiences with things. I am reminded again that I should use the search function on this forum to see what has gone before, it is an excellent resource and I just forget to check. We will get a non-electric juicer at some point, when we have the spare spondoolies :-). This one I think:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E7L2K6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2C023TNXNXUL5&coliid=I155PMC4XJ91V4

I know this is not part of this thread specifically but I was wondering how your sister is getting on with her new chickens, does she have them yet? Think I connected this with that from your thread which talks about your family :-).

That is very cool Butterboy, about the UK doing this on a large scale. Gives me a lift because I have horrible images of large scale production where cattle are fed not such nice stuff - leading to unpleasant diseases. That is a huge population to take care of food-wise. UK has just over 63 million people in a country the same size as NZ (roughly) which has just over 4.4mill. eek. woops, off track there.

Good question Farmchiq, about the bacteria. Maybe wheat grass has the effect of enhancing overall immune system and thereby the body is better able to ward off problematic "invaders"? If you learn more, let us know?

11wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-processors-blenders-juicers-Wheatgrass-Juicer-W0QQAdIdZ548994152

Who among us juices now? Any recommendations for easy-to-clean and good quality machines?

12wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:30 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:Authentic do you have a picture of how you use the wheat grass for your bridal shoots?  got my mind wondering.  It sure does stand out as almost glow in the dark vibrant against the snowy background, quite stunning.  Ya, cheap and couldn't be easier.  Very handy having grain on tap like that :-).  

I know we've done more with it than these few photos, but darned if I can remember where or when.

Big row of it on the shelf
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Wotb2010_064

There's some around the bottom of the crock holding the tree - and then I crammed flowers into it. It didn't grow good that year, I think the seed I used had been sitting around too long.
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos IMG_2973

A couple of smaller pots of it here and there
wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Bridalshowbooth03142009_005

13wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thanks Authentic. I think it works really well in your display, brings the spring and summer feel in the photographs into the room. works for me!

14wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

farmchiq wrote:http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-processors-blenders-juicers-Wheatgrass-Juicer-W0QQAdIdZ548994152

Who among us juices now?  Any recommendations for easy-to-clean and good quality machines?

this is probably a good buy. I am set on the one I put a link to though, think it may be easier to clean. I don't want electric but if you start looking there I believe you will find untold machines with wide range of quality and of course, price! Easy to clean is very important I think and stainless steel is probably part of that too - won't rust. I looked on amazon and that trail leads all over the place but they also have fairly good review system - I use it all the time.

15wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have an Acme...and I love it.  It is an old machine, but you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap.  It has a filter that you can remove, but is easier to just clean it out and keep going.  We juice our apples to make apple juice for canning...and you would be welcome to use it and try it out.
I have tried Wheatgrass juice and to this day I cannot even think about the stuff without gagging!..it is the most repulsive stuff.  If you have a liking for it...all the power to you.
Farmchiq...i would take a very small sip at first.
for birds though....what a great thing.  I have taken to dumping a flake of alfalfa into the chooks and they rip it apart in no time

Magdelan..you have some nice looking birds there.....

16wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Magdelan wrote: this is probably a good buy.  I am set on the one I put a link to though, think it may be easier to clean.

Well shows you what I know - I thought it was the same one.  Embarassed

17wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigrock wrote:I have an Acme...and I love it.  It is an old machine, but you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap.  It has a filter that you can remove, but is easier to just clean it out and keep going.  We juice our apples to make apple juice for canning...and you would be welcome to use it and try it out.
I have tried Wheatgrass juice and to this day I cannot even think about the stuff without gagging!..it is the most repulsive stuff.  If you have a liking for it...all the power to you.
Farmchiq...i would take a very small sip at first.
for birds though....what a great thing.  I have taken to dumping a flake of alfalfa into the chooks and they rip it apart in no time

Magdelan..you have some nice looking birds there.....

I have a Braun juicer, it is electric. Perhaps I should give it a go with some of the grass. It has a filter that you take out to clean too. I am scared though that I would waste what is in the grass. It is excellent for things like apples and carrots which have lots of liquid. nothing ventured nothing gained though, right?

thanks for the comment on the chickens. I look at that buff orpington hen in all her wedge shaped plumpness and just adore her, she's like the fattest tick with little head - I know this is not a flattering simile but she's just a bit that way  Embarassed . And the partridge chantecler girls, they are so unique. Actually I just love all those chooks.

18wheat grass for the chooks  -  photos Empty Re: wheat grass for the chooks - photos Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

farmchiq wrote:
Magdelan wrote: this is probably a good buy.  I am set on the one I put a link to though, think it may be easier to clean.

Well shows you what I know - I thought it was the same one.  Embarassed

I thought so too at first glance. The one I want has the end piece different, it comes off completely I think without the pointed/narrowed shape. That's why I think it would be easier to clean. Thanks for posting though  Smile .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum