Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When does it go from a hobby to a sickness?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DLC

I have been looking around my buildings and I have to ask myself what am I doing? I have 5 pens in my shop with birds in them and birds in 5 places in the yard and I just bought another shed for Turkeys that are coming next week. Oh yeah I came home today with a pair of Ring Neck Doves and 2 Muscovey Ducklings and I hate ducks so I'm claiming they are for our Grandaughter. So how many birds do you have to have before you are a certified lunatic?

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know we joke about our 'addiction' to poultry but on a more serious note, when it starts affecting our lives negatively - financially, no time to take care of and maintain other aspects of our daily living, not really interested in talking about anything else other than poultry.......
is it really okay/healthy?

It's an interesting phenomenon isn't it? Neutral

I don't know if it's a addiction ? more like a affliction , we feel the need to have and hold onto these little live's and no matter what we do there will allways be more and interesting breeds that we will see and in the end will more then likly purchase .But as was said we do need to know our breaking point ! when we are at the point of no longer feeding them properly and taking care of them as they should be taken care of then we are at the crossroads of should we ? I'd rather have a few healty , overly taken care of birds then a lot that I can't feed or take care of properly .

Last edited by reneggaide on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good advice guys. As long as your hobby isn’t hurting anyone (yourself included) I don’t see anything wrong with being passionate about something that brings you joy. Smile I can’t imagine not having chickens (and other birds) in my life now. And when I get a little too involved in this fascinating and richly rewarding hobby of ours, hubby is right there to pull me back from the brink. He has no problem reminding me that not everyone shares my interest in birds or wants to hear about them non-stop. I do tend to ramble on…

As for certified lunatic, I think I won that award with the neighbours when we had a gander living IN our house IN diapers. Embarassed Let’s not go there though… study

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum