Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

There's a Critter in the House

+5
uno
Echo 1
auntieevil
CynthiaM
rosewood
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1There's a Critter in the House Empty There's a Critter in the House Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:50 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's 4:30 in the morning when my wife got up to see why the cats were making a noise. She stopped to put some wood in the stove as the cats were all sleeping in various locations. Once she was back in bed the noise continued so she got up again this time turning on the living room lights. She thought the noise sounded like water leaking but that is not possible from behind the couch. She moved the couch a bit and discovered a pack rat. She got me up at that point. I went for the broom and we moved the couch. The rat scampered along the wall behind a plant and past the closed door to the office. Once passed the door it disappeared under the love seat. After trying to get it out by sliding a stick under the seat, we tipped the love seat over. The rat then headed back to the couch, but this time in the open. I stopped it with a good wack from the broom and a couple more to make sure. The cats not wanting to be in the way stayed safely on our bed, on top of the love seat or headed to the other end of the house. Thankfully there is no video recording of this event.

We've had this critter in the crawl space under the house for about six weeks. It rattled through and round the furnace pipes. I left the access open for about a week hoping the dogs or cats would do fulfil their responsibilities in rodent and intruder control. I had caught the beast in a trap before by the hind end. It escaped by pulling itself through a hole under the electrical panel before I could find a stick. That hole will soon be gone as we continue our winter schedule of renovating. No noise tonight so hopefully he was a single rat.

2There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh geeze. I guess Barriere has pack rats, smiling. We don't have rats, but we have darn field mice. Lots of them, see the cats with them all the time and I have them in the chicken coops. The cats hang out at the chickens' coups, inside and outside. Chickens don't mind cats. I think the mice are pretty much all under control, as the traps I have set for the past few days have not had any in them. I have been very diligent this fall with about 8 traps and checking and clearing every day. It seems to have worked. I remember when we moved up from the coast, Daughter said there were no rats in the Okanagan, just mice, not like the coast, where there was lots of rats, ich. I am very happy you got the rat. I can remember the sound of rats in the walls in some places that I have lived in my younger years, and I don't like that. Now have a wonderful sleep the next few nights. Happy to hear you got it. Have an awesome day, too, CynthiaM.

3There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:25 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Pack rat you say?
Perhaps you should train it to retrieve things from neighboring homes. Could help with the cost of renovations -lol

4There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:01 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've said it before and I will say it again..... I despise rodents in general and pack rats in particular! So glad you dispatched it, a victory for all human kind!

5There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:26 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yikes! Thank goodness your kitties were not harmed by this intruder.

6There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Pack Rats...destructive annoying things.  We have a few now and then in the barn.  I used to live trap them and take them on a road trip to let them go.  Then one turned on me when I let it go, so that was the end of that...

7There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:26 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

The last pack rat we had our GSD made very short but proud work of dispatching that little monster. The cat wouldn't have stood a chance, the dog on the other hand cheers  They can be really quick. Almost like playing pinball, only not as fun.

Glad to hear you prevailed cheers 

8There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmer Bob wrote:  Then one turned on me when I let it go, so that was the end of that...
whoa..now that is something i hadn't even considered. I used to help my dogs hunt for them; turning over crates, lifting pallets, till the little buggers would scurry, then the dogs would get it
Doubtful there was only one though Rosewood....

9There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:50 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you got it, they are stinky things!
Our cat takes on the young ones, but the full grown ones are to big. Haven't seen any here.....yet.

10There's a Critter in the House Empty Re: There's a Critter in the House Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:24 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

All quiet under the house so far, but there is some noise in the ceiling, an area where the cats can't reach. I'll put some traps up there. Two of our cats are good mousers, but a pack rat is too big for them. The third cat is a good mouser if the mouse passes within reaching distance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum