Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Strange question about glue

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Strange question about glue Empty Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:38 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What's the best to huff?

Kidding.

I want to make an Ollas. There are lots of DIY's with them, but they all use gorilla glue and I'm wondering if that will leach toxicity into the water and thus the soil/plants?

Opinions?

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

2Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:51 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Had a quick look online.

Are you planning to glue together bisque pottery flowerpots?

The best glue for pottery is epoxy.

Does this involve burying the pottery in the ground?

Low fired pottery like flower pots will not last long. The moisture will cause low fire pottery to disintegrate in a few years.

3Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:56 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Epoxy it is

I was going to use terracotta pots from the dollar store (they're a dollar!). I understand they'll need to be replaced every couple years, but I'm alright with that. I will be pulling them out of the ground at the end of the season.

Thanks Sue!

4Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you pull them out in the late summer and dry them in the sun thoroughly, that will certainly help with the freeze-thaw degradation. If you are handfilling them, I would cap them to keep little animals from crawling in and drowning.

Looks like a great project.

There is a project that is providing filtered drinking water to third world countries using unglazed pottery. Potters are throwing large enclosed urns. the urns are filled with water and the water oozes through the pottery, cleaning and filtering the water as it goes. Fascinating project!

If you know a potter you may be able to get them to throw a similar shaped pot so there would be no need for glue at all. They would have to use an earthenware clay and no glaze.

5Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:25 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I've been looking for a potter, not to mention getting into it myself. These have been in use since ancient times and I figured, why not try? Not an expensive venture, gives me a small project and, if it doesn't work, I have a bunch of pots!

6Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:55 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

FIY...I get my epoxy from the dollar store, $2 and it works great.

7Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:56 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ooo, thanks!

8Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:39 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wonder if you could make some hypertufa pots. They are really tough, and easy to make. You could totally adjust the size and shapes to your needs.

9Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:39 am

Schipperkesue wrote:Had a quick look online.

Are you planning to glue together bisque pottery flowerpots?  

The best glue for pottery is epoxy.

Does this involve burying the pottery in the ground?

Low fired pottery like flower pots will not last long.  The moisture will cause low fire pottery to disintegrate in a few years.
Not sure  but myself I would look a bit at movement and if there is any reason to think that there might be movement then epoxy wouldn't be a good choice , caulking would be a better choice and I can't see it contaminating the soil because it cures to a silicone type of property  . I would rather then use a bonding  caulking like what they use on subflooring ? It holds and yet has a bit of elasticity for any movement , epoxy cures to a hard  product , and is intended for areas that are tight  which in the case of pottery , most have ridges etc ? Plus a tube of caulking is fairly cheap compared to a good quality epoxy .........my thoughts

10Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

so glad you posted this Sweetened.  we live in a semi arid environment and watering is a big issue, I always use those overhead sprinkler things and think they are somewhat wasteful, evaporation is something I think about.  And, the black currants are vulnerable to powdery mildew so overhead watering is not the best for them.  I just googled what an ollas is, good learning for me today :-).  ta.  found this picture, look like a cool shape to use, if you were getting someone to make pots for you maybe?:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 pm

check out this article

mouthfromthesouth.com/how-to-make-an-olla/

12Strange question about glue Empty Re: Strange question about glue Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:23 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yeah, that's kind of like what I want to do. I'm just worried about the toxicity transfer into the water and thus into the soil. These are a great idea, methinks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum