Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone breed the "old" variety of Rhode Island Reds?-Armstrong

+2
rosewood
bigrock
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Now..please be kind to me. I am under the impression that the "old" Rhode Island Reds were a super dark brown almost black color. Is this true? Does anyone know who if any is raising these birds?
I am merely curious, and thinking i may want to raise these birds
thanks for any info

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I believe you will find some among the photos from last weekend. There is quite a difference between breeder stock and hatchery stock with this breed. https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t9174-chb-provincial-show-pictures

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I remember a kijiji ad that was selling eggs from RIR. The add said come get your eggs from the cooler at the driveway and put your money in the honor system box. It was on otter lake road?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh for sure, comparing a production Rhode Island Red to a well bred and turned out Rhode Island Red is a big deal, there is absolutely no comparison. Bigrock, if you are entertaining the thought of getting Rhode Island Red, for sure, do your homework and please, get the best you can. A friend of mine once said, it costs the same to feed a well bred bird as it does one that is not as well bred. Those "old" style Rhode Island Reds are dark mahogany brown. They are beautiful. I once had two, back on the coast, I got from a friend of mine that was into mostly bantam breeds, but he had a few of the large fowl RIR. He sold me two of them, and let me tell you they were beautiful, big, robust and just lovely. They went by the wayside one day when something entered one of the end coops, along with a few geese, muscovy ducks. I was heartbroken. But boy oh boy....they are lookers and are solid mahogany with no light variation, along with the black. Did you look at those pictures of the show that Rosewood put a link to? Look.....good luck, I hope you can find what you are looking for. Maybe some hatching eggs from someone. I know I have seen some of our forum friends talk about their "old" lines of RIR. You just need patience, and do a search. Not sure about the place on Otter Road, maybe they too do have a nice line, who knows, maybe check that out too, but do your homework. It is worth it...I am glad you are asking these questions, you are an intelligent woman. have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geeze, maybe I came across a little harsh, hope not, was not planned to be that way. There is really nothing wrong with the production style RIR, they are most wonderful in their own light, but they are very different looking than the "old" lines. This is just all depending on what you want, lots of nice production RIR out there too, absolutely, and they lay wonderful eggs, and I think they have nice personalities too. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cindi
you did not come across as being harsh.
I am not after production reds, I am looking for the originals..the real dark mahogany ones..i will be patient
husband is rolling his eyes at yet another breed?...i am doing my homework

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bigrock, you could look on the site of poultry clubs, like the Vernon Pigeon and Poultry Club and the Fraser Valley Poultry Club. There may be breeders of Rhode Island reds, and you would be getting some very nice stock. That beautiful deep mahogany red. I remember Heather once talking about someone that had bred them for years (large fowl), but had died or something and the line had been lost. (now this goes from vague memory, it could have been a different story). but maybe she might be able to give you some assistance, take to email format. A thought too, is there rose comb large fowl in this breed, I know there is bantam rose comb? That might be a thought too. We are in a cold climate and sometimes breeds with single combs have issues. Although not always, my orpingtons and cochins don't have issues with cold here, and we have got only down to -17 at the coldest. But at that temp, they still seem OK. Thoughts. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS has just acquired the lovely rosecomb RIR that she posted photos of lately. Maybe give her a shout.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for thinking of me. Yes, I'm really pleased with the new group of RIR's. They have settled in wonderfully. My daughter says they are her new favorites since you can walk into their pen and pick up any of them without any flapping or squawking...they are that gentle. The pullets aren't laying yet, but I have a feeling they will be starting up soon. Since I have only a small group I won't have any extras to part with until maybe next fall at the earliest. I'll see what I get for chicks, grow them all up, then maybe be able to share some young adults with others. Heres the thread with some pictures... I posted this in October:

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t8876-i-have-a-new-breed

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum